Yet another Airfix Hurricane, Mk.I, 1/72nd scale...

John Masters

Well...now that the Hart is done and on the shelf, I figured I would waste no time and officially unbox the 1/72nd scale Hawker Hurricane from Airfix.  No surprises here for any of you, I am sure, and since this is my very first Hurricane in all my years of modelling, I hope there will be no surprises for me either.  I will build 100% OOB and mark it as VY-C since VY-G from the same kit has been built on another thread.  I found an excellent 1/24th scale build on another website that has nice pictures of very subtle weathering and will make use of the 'Hurricane' information thread that is currently on this forum.

And it is blowing 9 Beaufort outside, so what better time to begin a Hurricane than on a blustery Sunday?

I have primed the plastic...

40831459732_7b8f26fe57_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Welcome back John. It's like you've never been gone :lol: After working so hard your magic on the Hart I think you deserve a nice simple project and this one should fit that requirement nicely. Plus we all know you'll produce a beautiful Hurricane model for us to admire :thumbsup: 

And we're off...

After the KORA kit, this feels like a snap-together model :thumbsup:  It's kind of a relief.  

In keeping it 100% OOB, I am resisting the urge to make little things like seatbelts, etc...I will spend my OCD energies on the outside of the kit...airbrushing, light weathering...etc...

I do like the detail Airfix has spent on the wheel-wells.  That's nice.  And the moulding is very crisp.  So far just a little paint on some things and the assembling of the wheel-well interior.  

39988843905_f4febbbd9f_z_d.jpg

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 5

Go on John, stick a set of seatbelts in there, you know you want to :D 

Seriously though, the kit is well enough detailled otherwise, with the canopy shut a simple set of belts will be all you need.

Thanks Col...I will, and did...

So this little plane is really coming along quickly.  I like the new tool design.  The exterior detail is crisp and will look great once it is painted and weathered.  This is what I have done so far one the past two days:

The cockpit and wing assembly...

40854310432_1e1cbd20b4_z_d.jpg

...with the first bump in the road...I think this trailing edge has been mentioned in other build threads.  I have decided to not sand down the trailing edges, but I did use a little putty to fill the gaps.

40854310872_ecb3ee3e81_z_d.jpg

...added the seat belts, closed up the fuselage, and attached fuselage to wing.  You can see...minute amounts of putty.

40197909774_083a10581c_z_d.jpg

40012629585_cdbe51b5c7_z_d.jpg

40012628415_c6de8b9307_z_d.jpg

That's it for today.  Tomorrow I'll mask the canopy and, if I am industrious, do some pre-shading.  I'll add some aluminum paint where I think I'll be weathering--access panels, leading edges, exterior cockpit area and near the wing roots.  I'll let that sit for a few days while I am off-island for business and then get back to it Saturday and Sunday.

--John

• Like 8

Thanks Col and Hockeyboy...

It helps that there are no little fiddly bits, the part count is low and the mouldings are such that parts attach to each other without a lot of bother.

It is almost a snap-together kit, especially after the resin Hart.

A small update...

I did this before I left for Athens on Wednesday.  Tomorrow when I get home I'll spray some undershadowing and all that.  I will mask off the guns properly before I do any of that so that when it is all painted and done, I can peel it off and display the red oxide dope that I have seen in so many photos.  The aluminum shading will be very carefully coated using the tip of a toothpick so I can peel off what I need to create some nice weathering. I have also added some aluminum to the prop in the background.   Pretty much the opposite of what I did for the Finnish Buffalo...

As you can see, the canopy is ready as well...

So, for now...

26088355557_b5317bd5b8_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

go easy  on the weathering,  as unless the airframe had paint adhesion problems,  (some did)  thye really don't get chipped up,  and I'd be surprised if the paint wore back to the red oxide primer on the fabric.

OK, here's a paint adhesion problem airframe (with metal wings)

6439e52c6055e388987688090e4d4730--hawker

there are examples of severe paint flaking,  which is why I suggest that it's paint adhesion problem,  as pai just doen't  wear off like this,   but nnote while big patches are gone on the wings,  the fuselage metal is is in very good condition.

this is more how a weathered fabric  wing looks

ffa2516a1d7f938a5b4cac8b9e5bdc4e.jpg

I don't know if the lighter appearance to the fabric sections is due to different  replection, or if the paint was more prone  to fading.

This as taken in May 1940,  and by this point the  85 Sq planes could  have been in France for 6 or  7 months.

This also shows one of the  Airfix  kit glicthes,  having fabric effect behind the gun bays,  as can be seen here by the darker paint and scuffing to metal.

On 19/03/2018 at 20:36, John D.C. Masters said:

I'll add some aluminum paint where I think I'll be weathering--access panels, leading edges, exterior cockpit area and near the wing roots.

240402d.jpg

the 'doghouse' is fabric  covered plywood.  red bit above.

If you do want a really typical bit of weathering,  it's oil stains (which get cleaned off)

Merlins leak a lot of oil,  it then leaks out of  the the back of the engine compartment, and the airflow blows it back in a very specfic pattern,  which is very clear here

hurr1-10.jpg

leading to a very distinctive stain on the UC doors, 

4416fb84054b73056e534c7ade849153.jpg

Once you know the how and why you will see this on so many photos...

and here's another shot of your intended subject

14e56b116280e546663e8bc4f3c242ef.jpg

here's a grungy 2nd line Hurricane in Canada

24483603611_47dc0043cd_o.jpgCanadian  Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

note pattern of exhaust stain and uc door stain....

Your model John,  but  the above maybe of use for reference.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks Troy....yes, not so much chipping as slight wearing around access panels and areas where feet had walked, i.e. just below the cockpit area.  Very slight.  I might not use the chipping medium and take an emery board to certain spots, lightly like a feather.  That would reveal some of the aluminum.

Those are excellent images, especially of the underside and the oil leaks.  Any idea which Mk the Yugoslavian bird happens to be?  Nice!

Thanks again...

44 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

OK, here's a paint adhesion problem airframe (with metal wings)

6439e52c6055e388987688090e4d4730--hawker

To be fair I think paint adhesion is the least of this Hurricane's problems :lol: 

Now that I am home I am looking forward to some nice modelling days ahead...this evening I sprayed the under shadow and after it was dry, I began the masking process for painting the underside of the plane--white/black, as specified on the box.  I have painted the white half first.  I have also painted the spinner white since the yellow will not cover a grey very well.  Or at least that is what I have learned.  I almost forgot to take pictures of the shadow painting before I masked...here is tonight's work.  I'll let it all dry overnight.  And, of course, I forgot to paint the appropriate undercarriage door white before I cleaned out the airbrush.  Damn!  Tomorrow then...I have to finish watching 'Top of the Lake.'

26120191617_6ecb85bb1d_z_d.jpg

39181845190_e5fbe8c17d_z_d.jpg

39181843960_797d7a3837_z_d.jpg

26120189367_dd3e924104_z_d.jpg

• Like 3

Black and white done.  I think it looks pretty good.  Some touch-ups I'll do later.  They'll disappear with the oil stains.  I didn't know the Merlins leaked that much.

Tell me...what are those little notches on the underside of the wings for, to the left and right of the undercarriage bays?

40114578955_9a9ece1868_z_d.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Tell me...what are those little notches on the underside of the wings for, to the left and right of the undercarriage bays?

Shell ejectors for the .303 machine guns.

Phil

Trying to match up Humbrol colours with Vallejo is tough work, especially Vallejo Air.  Some do not exist.  So I used "the old eyeball ploy", as Inspector Clouseau would say and, like Clouseau, fall flat on my face...

Middlestone is not the correct colour for this Hurricane...

40991063202_0b7eb88420_z_d.jpg

So I cleaned it off best I could...

40991062522_6fb8f4dd50_z_d.jpg

...and searched my paint rack, finally deciding on Golden Brown, which I tested first (imagine that!)  Much better, I think...

40991061682_5dcf958a2a_z_d.jpg

Much better, and will go nicely with the Medium Olive I have chosen for the green bits.  I have looked at that too...looks alright.  I'll let this dry tonight and mask off the brown bits with blu-tac and paper tomorrow.  

--John

• Like 4

I feel my modelling skill level has increased ten-fold since I joined this forum.  I must thank you all for your kind support.

I put the sticky stuff over the all-brown aircraft and airbrushed on the Medium Olive...

41055459861_dc1dee9bdc_z_d.jpg

Then after a few hours I removed the blu-tac, the masking tape and uncovered the canopy and the Brownings...

40347204904_a139ab5084_z_d.jpg

I must say, my airbrushing is improving, my masking is better and my level of enjoyment has also risen.  Upon inspection there are just a few little spots to touch-up.

Tonight I will add the exhausts and maybe...the landing gear...tell me...did the wingtips have the port/starboard/red/green lights?  I see where they should be...I'll have to paint those in.

Tomorrow will be stormy, windy, rainy...nice day for being inside and modelling!

• Like 3

Tidy paintwork John :goodjob:  Those wingtip lights were of the 'big clear lense and small coloured bulb' type so maybe put a wee dot of colour in the corner and paint them dull silver to get the effect?

• Thanks 1

Wow...almost there!  I attached the landing gear, exhausts and antennae last night.  This morning I was up very early and while I waited for an appointment I decided to decal this bird...

Landing gear and some oil staining...

41067620961_ee0bedfdab_z_d.jpg

Decals...

26196690167_d6eb3c389c_z_d.jpg

some more...

26196689207_dcbe855a24_z_d.jpg

and another view...

41067620161_52806b77a5_z_d.jpg

If were to complain about anything it would be what others have mentioned: decals.  Could Airfix have used a thicker decal material?  As it was I think I used close to a gallon of Microl Sol to get these things soft enough to bend and sink in.  

Ok...propeller, wheels and radio wire...as you can see in some of the photos, that is the extent of my weathering.  Just a smidgen here and there, no more.  I'll finish this up tonight and add it into the gallery but not before I give you all a parting glance...

Next up...MisterKit/Hobby Kits Craft Hawker Hunter F.Mk.6 in Belgian livery--1/72nd of course...I have some aftermarket doo-dads for this one...anyone want to give m a quick kit review?

--John

• Like 3