FM Breguet ALIZE the Gallic Gannet - RFI posted

CJP

RFI LINK - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049098-breguet-alize-the-gallic-gannet/

WIP FOLLOWS

I have had this kit in my stash for a while - it is a limited run kit so requires a fair bit of work but is the only option I know of to get a 1/48 Alize - as well as the injection moulded parts there are a packs of white metal & resin castings plus an etched sheet. I have seen a couple of builds on other websites but it was not until I discovered a French website called MASTER194.COM with a very detailed build of the FM Alize that I decided it might be time to look at my kit again.

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59400 (UNFORTUNATELY THIS LINK & BUILD IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE)

The build is by French modeller GAUDART and has a load of photos of the aircraft as well as lots of photos of how he went about detailing his beautiful model step by step.

As the website is in French I needed English text and one of my daughters said just put the url in Google Translate - miraculous, the whole webpage is translated into the language of your choice! - easy to follow once this is done - only the French text on drawings is not translated

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.master194.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D4%26t%3D59400%26sid%3D6e99c29913cd38cada8087ff2b939524%26start%3D1025&edit-text

IMG_6606.jpg

There are some useful photos on these links -

http://aviapassionmaquette.free.fr/Aviapassion Maquette photoscope alize.html

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106400408485037094643/album/AF1QipMYtvSe8K4mXXTVnHYipFChMPtAnNcQZPelTYgD

http://www.master194.com/photo_avion/alize/alize.htm

http://spotaero.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/cockpit-du-breguet-alize.html

I found plans hard to come by so am using some old Aviation News plans from about 30 years ago plus lots of reference to photos which are  quite plentiful.

I am compiling this WIP retrospectively so apologies if it is a bit disjointed but I was not going to post my build until I felt sure it was over the hump and stands a good chance of being completed.

In addition to basically using his build as a guide I decided that -

1. I wanted the wings folded similar to GAUDART's model

2. Cabin doors to be open which required making a new canopy - I was not happy with the shape of the kit original so it had to be done - GAUDART's article has a lot of information on how he made canopies

3. It is quite noticeable that there is a gap between the trailing edge of the wing spar and the start of the flaps - I discovered that this is because the front of the flap has a slot - I therefore had to make a representation of this to capture that feature.

4. control surfaces to be separated - the underside of the ailerons have a similar look to the flaps.

5. make sure at an early stage I get the sit of the Alize correct as it has a tail down attitude on the ground - GAUDART was not happy with the sit on his model & had to very carefully remove the gear after he had completed it and correct the sit - a very delicate operation.

6.Colour scheme to be what I believe is called type A - which looks close enough to EDSG/Sky to me

Breguet_1050_Alize_France_-_Navy_AN19349

The sprues have lots of flash

IMG_5721.jpg

some construction sketches I made as I assembled the Alize

ALIZE_FUSELAGE_2.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6216.jpgIMG_6214.jpg

Some extra detail was added to radar operators cabin but once it closed up I don't think you will see much as it is a bit of a black hole.

IMG_5743.jpg

The nose wheel bay, Bomb bay, radar bay and arrester hook bay all need care as they are not positively located and benefit from bits of scrap strip here and there to assist locating them

IMG_6400.jpg

the fuselage cross section at the rear of the cockpit opening looks a bit pinched so I added a 3mm insert at the top to make it look rounder similar to GAUDART'S technique - also added an extension to the instrument panel shroud as it looks a bit more pronounced in photos.

IMG_6449.jpg

Aerofoil rib sections and spars were added to the wings - I also added and additional aerofoil rib section after this picture was taken to the inside of the one at the break to give the hydraulic rams something to anchor on to when it gets to creating all of the wing fold detailing.

Plastic tube was glued to the rounded front of the flap and microstrip added underneath to represent the slot on the front of the flap - I guesstimated the gap between the wing and flap to be about 1mm or so.

IMG_6421.jpgIMG_6620.jpg

wing fold aerofoil section fitted

ALIZE_072.jpg

the slotted flap

IMG_6424.jpgIMG_6442.jpg

Making a representation of the slot at front of the flaps

IMG_6526.jpg

The main components and feeling like I was getting somewhere

IMG_6494.jpg

Cockpit panels painted and a selection of Airscale instrument decals added

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

This is the canopy mould - the frames are from copperfoil tape and were an attempt to get an impression of the frames on the thermoformed canopy but I had problems with alignment so removed them and will add frames once in situ on the model

IMG_6567.jpg

there are a few issues with symmetry between the left and right fuselage halves but nothing a few bits of microstrip and filler can't fix

IMG_6575.jpgIMG_6576.jpg

plasticard strips were added to the elevators to keep the halves the right distance apart and help locate them

IMG_6590.jpgIMG_6589.jpg

A bit of extra detail was added with fuse wire and plastic scraps to represent various boxes & pipes - GAUDART really has  done a lot of detail in these areas on his model Alize

IMG_6619.jpg

Where i'm up to today - the aileron and flap are just sitting in the wing not glued yet - the plastic over the rear of the cabin is to hopefully stop me pushing the rear windows in to the cabin

CJP

Edited by CJP
RFI LINK
  • Like 15

Lovely work! I was wondering who the other person was who thought it was a cunning plan to buy this kit!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, massimo said:

Very interesting build!!!

I like all detailing work you've done and those ailerons and th wing folds will give her a dynamic sensation.

Well done!!!:yes:

thanks Massimo -  I'm a keen follower of your current Ark Royal aircraft builds

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Amazing, and dare I say it, brave work!  Great to see an Alize' get this sort of treatment

thanks 71chally - it has been full on work so far

1 hour ago, pacificmustang said:

Fantastic work, FM kits are certainly not the easiest to build, will be watching your progress with interest. It’s great to see this kit being built 

bruce

thanks Bruce - this is my first FM but what you say is correct but I think it will end up ok eventually

55 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Lovely work! I was wondering who the other person was who thought it was a cunning plan to buy this kit!

Martian

thanks Martian -  yes it was me - amazing how a cunning plan can unravel

CJP

• Like 1

Mine unravelled the moment I opened the box! what was really Baldrickesque about my plan was that I had already built an FM kit. One might have thought I had learnt my lesson.

Mars' answer to Homer Simpson

• Haha 4

A lot of nice work gone into your model, looks challenging. As not a 48th builder never really come across FM kits, but they look like a 1/48th equivalent of Mach2 kits, only possibly not as good. 

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:42, Mr T said:

. As not a 48th builder never really come across FM kits, 

And believe me, you don't want to! Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a Martian mushroom.

Traumatised of Mars

• Haha 1

I've got to a point in the build where you seem to be doing a lot of fiddly little jobs but not seeing much progress - continuing on I cut off the resin exhaust and fairing

IMG_6622.jpgIMG_6623.jpg

Added some micro strip and putty to the jet exhaust fairing side as it did not look curved enough to me compared to photos - also a glued strip at the rear edge of the fairing as per GAUDARTS  article.

IMG_6626.jpg

Added a circle of plastic strip and inserted part 109 into it at fuselage rear - added Tamiya filler to fill any gaps - the fitting needed a touch with a file top and bottom so the clear cover will fit over it

photo_2.jpgIMG_6663.jpg

I made thin plastic card base for the fuel jettison outlet pipes & faired in with Tamiya putty

IMG_6666.jpg

Next I decided to try and dry fit the outer folding wing panels to see how the alignment looked starting by making the wing hinges from plastic card - grooves were cut into the inner wing panel to accept the hinges on the outer panels

IMG_6633.jpgIMG_6644.jpgIMG_6646.jpgIMG-6654.jpgIMG_6647.jpg

the first fitting of both wings was pretty disappointing looking at the alignment of each folded panel and led to a lengthy period of trying to work out how to correct the wings to make the folded panels even - a very frustrating process and I ended up removing one of the front wing hinges and repositioning it - I ended up averaging out the differences between each side until I got an acceptable result - real tear your hair out stuff - for now  it's good enough to push on with the build - wing fold detailing will happen at a later stage.

IMG_6659.jpgIMG_6660.jpgIMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6662.jpgIMG_6667.jpgIMG_6668.jpg

The nose intake cowing was fitted and the rear fuselage porthole window was repositioned further forward.

Never thought I'd say it about the FM Alize Martian but I'm quite enjoying the build

CJP:huh:

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 8

29 minutes ago, CJP said:

Never thought I'd say it about the FM Alize Martian but I'm quite enjoying the build

CJP:huh:

There is certainly some epic work going on here!

Right Guys, try not to let him get too excited while I go and find a shrink!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little update - flaps and ailerons were fitted to the wing using brass wire to help align them and then glued once I was happy with the alignment - the structure on the front edge of the inner flap was a spacer to get the flap to sit right

IMG_6689.jpgIMG_6690.jpgIMG_6694.jpg

.Jury struts were made from Albion Alloys slide fit pack SFT1 - the plastic collars were made from heat stretched tube and sanded to size using a toothpick - also used a couple of metal washers from an old left over etch

IMG_6731.jpgIMG_6743.jpg

Struts in place doing their job - wing angles will need tweeking later - navigation lights & flap hinges fitted

IMG_6733.jpgIMG_6740.jpgIMG_6742.jpg

weapons pylons dry fitted but still need the putty sanded

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 11

Can anyone help with some photos or drawings of the front of pods that house the main landing gear on early Alize aircraft - they have a clear cover over the front of the port & starboard pods in front of what is the sonobuoy housing - I cannot get any clear photos but there seems to be internal panels with lights mounted in them - in most photos I have seen the clear Perspex is clouded & the internal detail is not visible clearly - modified aircraft have a solid front to these bays

Aliz_8.jpg

CJP

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 9:49 AM, Martian Hale said:

There is certainly some epic work going on here!

Right Guys, try not to let him get too excited while I go and find a shrink!

Martian

A Shrink, related to Fonderie kits ??

I already told it.... Mine has commited suicide....:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Hi CJP, Welcome in the closed club of fonderie builder....

It is not necessary to be mad to do so, but it help !!

My fonderie are a MB 152 and a HOS-3

Pierre is engulfed in a second Halifax and an Hampden...

And I'm about to start a F9F-8:christmas::christmas:

Oh and your right following the thread, DO NOT TRUST Fonderie Instruction sheet !

Not matter, for what they said, you better don't know....

Whatever, if you need any trand, PM me, I will help, because Google trad is ...

Come On Dear Alien, It's an opportunity to start your Alize

Are you going to rejoice Young Man, Fonderie is calling...

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

A Shrink, related to Fonderie kits ??

I already told it.... Mine has commited suicide....:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Hi CJP, Welcome in the closed club of fonderie builder....

It is not necessary to be mad to do so, but it help !!

My fonderie are a MB 152 and a HOS-3

Pierre is engulfed in a second Halifax and an Hampden...

And I'm about to start a F9F-8:christmas::christmas:

Oh and your right following the thread, DO NOT TRUST Fonderie Instruction sheet !

Not matter, for what they said, you better don't know....

Whatever, if you need any trand, PM me, I will help, because Google trad is ...

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thank you Corsaircorp - I started the build knowing it was a limited run kit so expected to have to do some work on it - lots of scratch building but nothing impossible to do and quite satisfying to get a reasonable model as a result - I always liked to look of the Alize for some reason so this is the only 1/48 model at the moment although I guess it is hard to come by now - probably a few in peoples stashes still - as for shrinks mine comes in a bottle

CJP

• Haha 2

This won't help you much, but I believe that they are translucent/plastic aerodynamic covers which protect various sensors related to the the ASW task, they were later modified on the Aeronavale' aircraft with EW type sensors mounted on a solid nose to the pod.

I believe the Indian aircraft didn't get the mod, so maybe worth Googling them for better images.

Cracking work on your build, great stuff!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 71chally said:

This won't help you much, but I believe that they are translucent/plastic aerodynamic covers which protect various sensors related to the the ASW task, they were later modified on the Aeronavale' aircraft with EW type sensors mounted on a solid nose to the pod.

I believe the Indian aircraft didn't get the mod, so maybe worth Googling them for better images.

Cracking work on your build, great stuff!

Thanks for that information 71chally - I have been Googling furiously but no clear views found yet

CJP

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CJP said:

Thank you Corsaircorp - I started the build knowing it was a limited run kit so expected to have to do some work on it - lots of scratch building but nothing impossible to do and quite satisfying to get a reasonable model as a result - I always liked to look of the Alize for some reason so this is the only 1/48 model at the moment although I guess it is hard to come by now - probably a few in peoples stashes still - as for shrinks mine comes in a bottle

CJP

Beautiful work. As for your shrinks, clearly the Australian booze industry won't be going into recession any time soon!

Martian

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Will that man in the cheap seats behave himself please. This alien needs no assistance in getting himself into  long and insanely complicated builds!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Martian Hale said:

Will that man in the cheap seats behave himself please. This alien needs no assistance in getting himself into  long and insanely complicated builds!

Martian

That's for sure !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian

Can't say better myself oh wise Alien !!

Rocs are also pretty fun...Seem that we have some common points....:christmas::christmas:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

I was curious when i saw your build thread title. having built FM's H-21 some 15 years ago Iwas thinking things might have improved and you were going to have an 'easy ' build, it would seem not. Love the way you are tackling the beast.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1