A sacrifice to the Plastic Modelling Gods - Airfrog Beaufort- FINISHED

I have been harbouring a guilty secret. My turret vacform wasn’t fully formed. Because of webbing I had cut away a big piece at the back.

So today I tried vacforming it on a little balsa platform. The idea is that the plastic folds in on itself to make the webbing at the bottom of the platform and then snuggles up nicely to the turret shape. It worked. Twice:

6-A933-B75-5-B82-427-D-927-D-4597-D51-AE

With vacforming into a cavity like the Falcon canopies you don’t get this problem because the plastic is always stretching. Anyhow, here’s the new one against the old one, showing how the old one was missing a lot of its back:

37-D13261-3-FED-4530-A342-78-F9-CAD95-A3

And here’s the new one sitting on the turret ring with the sliding portion of he glazing marked out:

F27-ADBE2-2-B22-4-BB9-8-A09-C92-FC9-C228

That’s my fun for the day. Time to get the Christmas decorations down from the attic and put up the tree...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 19

Some more progress. I made some 5-spoke wheel hubs with Milliput using an Oyumaru mould from the old Airfix Blenheim hubs. Looks a bit rough close to but a lick of paint should help:

6-FB06-FE9-E95-B-41-AC-BC93-35-E13-AC9-B

And some Vickers K guns from card, rod and stretched sprue/runner. I need two. Given that I have to add the turret before closing the fuselage, cleaning up, and re-doing the wing fillet, I’m not betting against some fine language later in the build!

9-F02-E6-A2-A8-AD-4-EDF-B4-F1-C761-D7-E5

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 18

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

I think he's mad too.

I'm just hoping HobbyBoss make an announcement soon. They should be able to kit it in the easy assembly range with about 20 parts total requiring 5 minutes' sticking together...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We're all mad. It's just the level of madness that varies between us.

Well, quite, wibble!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It’s been an interesting couple of days.

I put Mrs MF on a train to go see her sisters in France this morning with no idea of how she was going to make a connection between stations in Paris with no public transport and riots. It turns out that this girl can find a taxi anywhere. Phew!

And yesterday the two founders of my company announced that they will be retiring at the end of January, taking most of the working capital with them and without resolving any issues in their loss-making side of the  business. That will all become my problem. Thank you gents...

Aaand (most importantly) I think I have built a good enough turret:

7-CABAA31-66-E6-4-DCC-A549-B5-E3-FB431-F

Now I need it to dry thoroughly before even touching it again!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Does that mean you'll be jobless, hope not?!

Exactly the opposite! In addition to my full-time tech and management job, I now get to run the company. In principle it's not exactly a surprise but the outgoing MD has changed tune from "I'll sort out that side of the business and retire" to "I'll retire next month", and the valuation of the company allows the two founders to more or less clean out the coffers. At least I won't have to deal with them any more...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Good progress on the guns. I sympathize with your work issue. My main client sold his business a few weeks ago and retired. I guess we are getting to that age when a lot of people we rely on are giving it away. It will be an interesting year ahead. I'm expecting more modeling time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I needed to leave those parts to dry so I found something else to do. Because my wife is away this weekend, I thought it would be a good move to update the stash spreadsheet without any interruptions along the lines of "do you really need four of that kit?". I was going through the FROG box when I came across this:

206-FC4-DB-2-E7-A-4-BA0-B9-C6-FFA31-C5-E

Now one thing that's been bothering me since page 1 of this build. I have three sets of plans:

F9-C81-C2-E-88-BC-466-B-A9-D0-CF9271-A70

Top is from "Aeroplane" May 2007, bottom right is from the Warpaint book and bottom left is from a set of plans posted here which have been annotated against a real one. The Aeroplane and Warpaint plans both have the nacelles at 18.5-19mm, about the same as the new Airfix Beaufighter cowling diameter. The other plans have the nacelles at about 17.5mm diameter, which looks a heck of a lot more like the real thing to me. This is the same size as the Frog Beaufighter cowlings. So I'm thinking of re-doing the comedy cowling flaps and using the FROG cowlings instead of the Airfix ones. It will mean a bit of re-shaping and scribing, but I think I can make them work:

A96-F4022-C837-4111-AC44-3-F8-AD1-C1-DF9

L-R: Airfix Beaufighter, Frog Beaufighter with Gills, Frog Beaufighter cut down. The Frog Beaufighter cowling is still miles bigger than the Frog Beaufort one!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 10

I have just read the whole thread Adrian, Stunning work, a marvellous attention to detail you have. Your vac forming is very inspiring. Looking forward to seeing it all come together. 

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! How on earth have I managed to miss this for so long? I've just read through the entire thread (with a beer or two, of course) and I'm stunned by the amount of work involved. It makes my Battle look like a mere skirmish! Very impressive vac forming too. 

To all who say they don't have the skills to do it, all I can say is, none of us do until we try it and practice! 

Onwards and upwards!

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well thanks chaps!

I finished cataloguing my kits and I’m pleased to say it’s -er- well under 400. I don’t want to talk about 300 thanks...

(Note to self: stop buying Airfix Hawker Demons)

This is as close as I’m ever going to get to reproducing the Mk1 Beaufort turret in 1/72:

3-C777349-2-F22-4494-A682-E9-E5-B132231-

I have a strange urge to shout obscenities now. It must be Turrets Syndrome.

:coat:

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

And here it is with a freshly-futured canopy in situ, so it is possible to manoeuvre it all in: 

2-B6968-C5-9-A66-424-A-9349-1-EAB536647-

Now I have to do the framing before I install it. When it’s in I will mask it with cling film while I tidy up and paint everything.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 10