A sacrifice to the Plastic Modelling Gods - Airfrog Beaufort- FINISHED

That’s excellent.  Impossible to tell that it wasn’t some kind of ‘shake & bake’ kit that built itself... but we know just how much you had to do.  Excellent.

Now what?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Adam.

11 hours ago, Muddyf said:

I enjoyed following the build, and learnt a few tips on the way! Looking forward to seeing more pics and then re-reading all the posts again!

Any idea what the next project will be?

Glad you enjoyed it Matt! No idea what the next project should be, although I have a choice of "shelf of shame" projects:

070-A7-CF4-7-F4-E-4-C44-947-A-391-D569-F

Why shelf of shame? Storch: horrible moulding; Demon: horrible fabric effect on wings, new kits are way better; BE2c: rib masking ahead; Fairey: acceptance criteria rising quicker than my abilities! I could also throw in a Frog Wyvern and a Rareplanes Breda65 if I felt like it.

But I have two weeks to get another project working (you know, that work thing) and a week of lab trials in the USA so I may take a modelling break...

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It looks like it came out of the box that shape.

And, you are excused.

Well it would, if you reversed the delivery truck over the box a few times. And thanks - I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of your avatar!

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Really enjoyed following this build

Thanks Ced - sorry if there were too many kit pictures and not enough sausages! :)

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

a real beauty

Thanks Chris, I do like the look of the Beaufort, which is just one more reason why I couldn't build it as FROG intended.

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Disgusting...cutting mat

Oi! Look what I bought at SMW!! (Er, yes, still in the packaging... was going to get round to changing over... shuffle shuffle cough)

9-FDA4007-672-E-4-D99-9373-C2-CAD0-BB6-B

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

really entertaining and informative build thread

Glad it entertained, Keith. There were moments when I was thinking "Whose idea was this, exactly?".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Like it Adrian

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

‘shake & bake’ kit  ...  Now what?

I must confess there was some shaking involved, normally whilst saying "Grrrrr...." at the same time. And as I mentioned above, a short break is in prospect to keep the kit vouchers flowing! Although the AZ MB-5 does look like it might be short and sweet...

Having used three kits and made two models, I'm not sure I want to make a third from the remainder:

3-DCA18-B8-9-ED1-4-A62-B998-895-FD61-A93

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

every inch a Beaufort

Thanks Roger, I think using the FROG Beaufighter cowlings rather than the new Airfix ones was the best choice I made in the build. They are ever-so-slightly tapered and just that bit narrower. And with the scribing and mods to the exhaust collector ring I think they look just right. There are still a couple of shape issues around the front of the cockpit that I have fudged over but I can live with it.

2 hours ago, Massimo said:

additions from scratch

Thanks Massimo - from you that's a real compliment!

2 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

A wonderful example of real kit conversion

The only thing missing is filler made from talcum powder and dope...

Thanks Peter. Let's think... starting point: Beaufort... end result: Beaufort! I don't think I've got the hang of this conversion lark yet :)

Sadly there is no balsa in the actual model, although balsa was harmed to make a couple of the vacform masters.

And a shout out to @JimHead23. If you would like the vacform moulds and my dodgier vacs, PM me with your postal address and I will drop them in a baggie. You can have the kit items in the top row too!

2-D2136-ED-B003-42-FE-B098-51-FD0195-CA1

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Thanks!

I must confess there was some shaking involved, normally whilst saying "Grrrrr...." at the same time. And as I mentioned above, a short break is in prospect to keep the kit vouchers flowing! Although the AZ MB-5 does look like it might be short and sweet...

Having used three kits and made two models, I'm not sure I want to make a third from the remainder:

3-DCA18-B8-9-ED1-4-A62-B998-895-FD61-A93

Thanks Roger, I think using the FROG Beaufighter cowlings rather than the new Airfix ones was the best choice I made in the build. They are ever-so-slightly tapered and just that bit narrower. And with the scribing and mods to the exhaust collector ring I think they look just right. There are still a couple of shape issues around the front of the cockpit that I have fudged over but I can live with it.

Thanks Massimo - from you that's a real compliment!

Thanks Peter. Let's think... starting point: Beaufort... end result: Beaufort! I don't think I've got the hang of this conversion lark yet :)

Sadly there is no balsa in the actual model, although balsa was harmed to make a couple of the vacform masters.

And a shout out to @JimHead23. If you would like the vacform moulds and my dodgier vacs, PM me with your postal address and I will drop them in a baggie. You can have the kit items in the top row too!

2-D2136-ED-B003-42-FE-B098-51-FD0195-CA1

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian

That's fantastic! Thank you so much. I have thoroughly enjoyed this build from start to finish. Hopefully the parts will make me take the plunge and actually make something from my Beaufort collection. I will PM you shortly.

Regards

Jim

• Like 1