A sacrifice to the Plastic Modelling Gods - Airfrog Beaufort- FINISHED

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

And for Massimo here’s a shot of where we are now. Note the absence of a serial number and dirt, which is all I have left to do on top:

27-B39179-173-C-4-F9-D-9-C0-D-E449-CD612

Thanks Adrian!!!

SHE'S A REAL BEAUTY!!!!!

I like the new codes , but most of all I love the all thing!!!

You must be proud of yourself, you did a fantastic work!!!!

Chapeau!!!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind comments. I will try not to drop the ball in the last few yards...

I’m getting less and less happy with my five spoke hubs, moulded from the old Airfix Blenheim ones. I made an experimental hub from slices of tube and strip, but it’s a bit too small:

F88-DA908-E755-4-DDB-A515-80242-E49-B5-F

So I made another one using a slice of drop tank. This was looking very promising until it pinged off the tweezers when I was painting it. Time for bed!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

Looking good! I agree make life easy and order some wheels.

Maybe I should get my Encore version out for the Frog Group Build?

Neil

Be my guest! In case you haven’t noticed, the kit does have a few... errr.... issues :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 3

On 1/30/2019 at 11:35 PM, AdrianMF said:

I made an experimental hub from slices of tube and strip, but it’s a bit too small:

Sounds very interesting to me. I've got to make a number of 6-spoke hubs for my Avon Sabres. :hmmm:

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

I've got to make a number of 6-spoke hubs for my Avon Sabres

Stuart, sorry if I'm teaching granny how to suck eggs, but:

I think the first course of action is to see if you have a wheel that has the right hub and take a mould from that. You can either go the whole silicone/resin hog or if you just want the spokes you can use Oyumaru moulding compound (5-ish quid on Ebay), which softens in hot water and takes an impression when you squish it over the part and let it cool. Then fill the impression with Milliput. That's how I got my Blenheim wheel hubs - they look rough but in all fairness that comes from the original plastic part, which was not great!

To make the wheel hubs you need a hub circle and a rim circle. I've been using slices of tube or drop tank (which is NOT guaranteed to be nicely circular!). Then make some plastic rectangular strip that is the right width for the spokes and the right depth to reach from the outside of the hub circle to the inside of the rim circle. Then cut off the right number of slices of that strip and arrange them between the two discs - a tight fit is good here and I was lucky with the first one. After you are happy with the spacing, flood with liquid poly, leave to dry, and then trim and sand to wafery goodness. Make one and take copies, as above.

Then type "wheels, resin, Avon Sabre" into google... :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Stuart, sorry if I'm teaching granny how to suck eggs, but:

You're not. As far as I can tell and chatting with others, Sabre spoked wheels are available in 1/48 but not 1/72 so DIY will have to be the way.

Thanks Adrian for your process.

Stuart

• Like 1

Woohoo Saturday!

I stippled another off-black coat over the undersides and I’m pretty pleased with the result:

C8-F1801-C-8012-4509-9-B12-DD1-AAD443450

The streaking is much toned down but it still looks suitably distressed.

And Project Hub is stubbornly refusing  to go gently into that good night:

6-D14368-D-9-CFC-4-BB4-80-A2-948-ADD165-

Oyumaru time in a minute...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 12

Project Hub is not happy about the dying of the light:

69-DC698-B-4-F3-E-4-A24-BE8-F-39-D914-E8

I had a bit of an experiment but I moved the mounds before it was all set so these haven’t worked.

In another part of the forest, the torpedo is done, apart from the detonator whiskers on the nose:

FE17-DB23-622-E-4-E3-E-9-D54-9-A5-B0-B84

After watching the excellent video posted by Ced, it was tempting to start adding all the hatches and vanes of the real thing, but I resisted!

I found a colour photo that supports the proposition that the aerial tail is unpainted plywood. It looks like it is towing a piece of 1960s furniture!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

Well, I’ll just stick the next bit on ... - whaaa??

C1-B8-D956-668-F-4-B3-F-B7-F6-AC60-BF59-

... and suddenly it was done:

575-E4-A05-31-C6-4850-8-F27-22-C6-AB1-A1

EB895-A87-8819-4-E4-C-BBF3-2-BFE27967-F9

1-B603-E89-3-E86-4023-8081-F5-F0-E88-A71

Torpedo has its detonator whiskers and the undercarriage has a fender for keeping the doors off (top tip: don’t add this right at the end; ask me how I know):

B3-C681-DC-97-D2-47-D2-9-C87-D023-CA73-C

Amazingly the cockpit is still visible:

46-CC1554-68-D5-4-ED5-8-F8-B-8-B85640-A3

And, although some Beauforts were certainly well used, I went all restrained and classy with the bare metal chipping:

E97-A2239-1-E1-F-43-C2-A920-6-CAF425-E83

There’s always a sense of anticlimax for me when I finish a build , so, with apologies to @Pete in Lincs:

2o2oet.jpg

Thanks for all the support along the way. Proper pictures tomorrow!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 20
  • Haha 3

Great looking Beaufort.

I enjoyed following the build, and learnt a few tips on the way! Looking forward to seeing more pics and then re-reading all the posts again!

Any idea what the next project will be?

Matt

• Thanks 1