A sacrifice to the Plastic Modelling Gods - Airfrog Beaufort- FINISHED

18 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

who needs one of those expensive silhouette cutter thingies

I think I might, but then I would have to (a) learn how to use it (I do computers for a job, and this is a hobby) and (b) I would have to start airbrushing to get proper benefit, which would be more faff...

I have a yellow "R" to do on the nose that will be way too small for this technique, But I think I can do it with bits of 40-year old decals of US tail number serials. If they fall apart on me or if I fumble it, I can paint a patch of yellow on and cover it with a laser-printed black decal square with an "R" shaped clear bit in it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Excellent work on the codes Adrian - who needs one of those expensive silhouette cutter thingies...?! 

K

🎵I don't and I don't 'cause all I want is you!🎵

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I think I might, but then I would have to (a) learn how to use it (I do computers for a job, and this is a hobby)

I'd like one too, but I used to do computers for a job and for that reason don't want to buy one either!

I already airbrush cos I'm absolutely cack at brush painting!

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

🎵I don't and I don't 'cause all I want is you!🎵

Martian 👽

You'd be sorry!

K

• Haha 1

She looks great!!!

...may be a couple more pictures of the whole kit would be welcomed, but...we can wait!

What's the undersides' colour?

Through the transparent the cabin is a real gem!!!

Well done so far! Just...please, a couple more pictures, she deserves them!!!🙏

4 hours ago, Massimo said:

...may be a couple more pictures of the whole kit would be welcomed, 

I don’t dare to look at the whole aeroplane myself because I want to finish it! It is tantalisingly close after 9 months in the making.

The underside will be black. Haven't painted it yet...

I won’t finish this weekend because we’re having a road trip to take my daughter back to college in Holland and I need a printout from the office laser printer, but I’m hoping to wrap it all up before the end of next weekend.

ciao

Adrian

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Do you need to be a millionaire to buy a Silhouette?? 😨

Er, no, not in my case anyway :) 

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'd like one too, but I used to do computers for a job and for that reason don't want to buy one either!

I used to work in computers too, in fact I'm using one now. After a long career with 'business software' it's nice to know they can do something really useful! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Over the weekend my mind kept drifting back to fat squadron codes, so as soon as I got back in the house (after making a cup of tea of course) I sanded down the letters a bit more to get rid of all the ridges and then masked and painted the camouflage colours at the sides of the “M” and “W”, having stepped the tape back a bit from the previous edges. I’m now happier.

Before:

6-DFDF0-C6-98-F5-44-AB-B783-CEF3-A629-FB

After:

ED65-D700-0919-430-F-AC58-BF9-F099-E1888

Hope you can see the difference and that I’m not kidding myself!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 14

And now of course I can treat myself to some lovely Xtradecal 35” A1 roundels. Let’s see... 35... 35... ...!

9632-C507-9-D74-480-A-BCD9-B3624-ABD3-D4

I'm sure that has never happened to anyone else but me...

Regards,

Adrian

PS the new Airfix Swordfish has a 35” A1 roundel in a scheme I won’t be using so I’m saved.

• Like 7

Oh Bother said Pooh! 

Could you paint a yellow ring round the 30" RWB ones on your sheet? 

Use a spring bow ink compass for the yellow outer line and fill in sufficiently so that the 30" blue covers. 

Or buy another sheet.....!!

A bit of progress. Some speculative detail on the insides of the undercarrriage doors:

43920-AF2-EECC-48-D0-82-DA-4-B80-BE65-BC

And most of the remaining parts are painted:

4-DE1-A415-CC3-F-45-A6-B5-BF-E132-A2-CC1

The torpedo will be dull silver with a black nose. I’m not sure what colour the torpedo aerial tail is meant to be. Any ideas?

A coat of black on the underside:

00-FBA437-0-A45-47-F1-9452-2623654-C365-

I will be breaking it up with distressed off-black next.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 16

More nice work Adrian.

36 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I’m not sure what colour the torpedo aerial tail is meant to be. Any ideas?

When I did mine I painted the air rudder with yellow bands on a dirty metal finish.

I also found a nice instructional video on the Mk XII here.

HTH :) 

• Thanks 1

It is my understanding that the Monoplane Air Tail (MAT) was usually made of plywood. I would guess that it was probably just varnished ply. Photos I have access too are inconclusive unfortunately.

Matt

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

nice instructional video

Thanks Ced! Just watched the whole thing! I have also written “top” on the correct side of the air rudder.

44 minutes ago, Muddyf said:

plywood

Thanks for that Matt. I’ve read that too. I may go with a streaky light brown, which wouldn’t be too far off Ced’s yellowy colour.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how you break up the black undersides. I could use any and all hints for when I get around to the Battle underside!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Here you go Ian. A mix of 10x black, 2x blue, 2x dark grey and 1x rust brushed lightly over with my raggedy 1/4” flat brush late last night:

1-C1-AA3-A5-E614-4-ABC-9-B0-F-14-AE817-F

Closer to, not so good:

FDEF8-E73-3627-48-A3-B31-D-734-D847-F389

You can see the brush streaks, although this is in quite harsh morning sunlight (wait, sunlight??) and my phone camera is over-sensitive to blue tints. But I will be doing a darker stipple over the underside to take away some of the streakiness. And I will do it in daylight so I can see what I’m doing!

You can also see where I’ve stippled the bottom edges of the upper colours in the curved demarcations because from photos it looks like these were somewhat freehanded in real life.

Regards,

Adrian

PS BTW the under wing panel lines are as Airfix intended with no filling. I didn’t bother because (a) it’s a black surface and (b) it’s the underside! You can see an Airfix panel line is about as prominent as my bomb bay door line

• Like 10

I think you are being too hard on yourself Adrian. You will soon tidy up those raggedy bits and look what you have achieved with the pants material you had to start with.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1