A sacrifice to the Plastic Modelling Gods - Airfrog Beaufort- FINISHED

Glad you didn't leave a map on the Nav's table Adrian, as seems to be the fashion these days - I'd have thought any Nav leaving a map in an aircraft during wartime would have been in trouble pretty quickly....

Those transparencies are stunningly clear!

Hope you enjoyed breakfast!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Happy New Year Adrian!

This is quite possibly my favourite wip ever and I loved the Beaufighter interlude too! 

Now you are approaching the finish line I can't wait to see the results.

Didn't I read somewhere that  Airfix have got an announcement planned for tomorrow?

Regards

Jim

• Haha 3

My earlier comment didn’t see this update coming. Fantastic looking model, and an afternoon of plunge moulding, something that will take me at least a month. 

Great looking Beaufort, I am looking forward to seeing this with some paint on its exterior!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Spinners fitted:

Seeing those engines basically complete gives an insight into how good the finished job will look too & I'm picking it'll rate a genuine full sized AWESOME. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

you didn't leave a map

I can understand the temptation - the table looks so empty compared to all the structure, controls and wiring elsewhere.

6 hours ago, JimHead23 said:

Didn't I read somewhere that  Airfix have got an announcement planned for tomorrow?

You got me! I checked their website!

It is strange that they haven't announced anything new-new over the Christmas period. I guess B**x*t is making it hard for them to take risks on new releases right now.

5 hours ago, Muddyf said:

an afternoon of plunge moulding

It's really quick if you just want something you're prepared to sand down. I had to drill a 6.5mm hole in some thin plywood, then waved those plastic sheets above the gas ring, held in a bulldog clip. 10 minutes max, including a trip back upstairs to cut two more squares of plastic.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

engines basically complete

So-o-o-o glad I found the Frog Beaufighter ones. It was a fun diversion build too.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I keep thinking I'm ready to start painting and then I realise I'm not. Tomorrow I am going to write a list when I get home and then start crossing things off it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It's really quick if you just want something you're prepared to sand down. I had to drill a 6.5mm hole in some thin plywood, then waved those plastic sheets above the gas ring, held in a bulldog clip. 10 minutes max, including a trip back upstairs to cut two more squares of plastic.

This 'duffa' needs to know exactly what you did with the hot pliable plastic? What did you use as the master?

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

more could a man ask for?

Sadly there is no Elsan, being under the hump and invisible in the finished model. You will just have to cross your legs and sit tight...

50 minutes ago, Courageous said:

What did you use as the master?

The drop tank in the picture looked about half a mm smaller than the spinners so I used that. I just held a corner of the plastic with the bulldog clip and waved it over the cooker flame until it went floppy, then put it over the 6.5 mm hole in the plywood and shoved the drop tank into the hole. That's why the plastic sheet is crumpled, but the piece is so small that the crumples didn't reach the spinner. For a larger shape I would staple the plastic over the hole and wave the whole lot over the cooker (or use a paint stripper gun like I do for vacforming).

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well it looks like I haven't done enough work on the Beaufort to earn a new Airfix tooling :(

There may be a later, secret, announcement! (Stranger things happen at sea!). The Beaufort is looking fantastic, especially now that it has its wings on.

• Thanks 1