A sacrifice to the Plastic Modelling Gods - Airfrog Beaufort- FINISHED

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Those are looking great, Adrian.

Thanks Chris. Fear not - I will be painting crankcases black! I'm feeling a leetle bit guilty over not doing much to the default Frog engine, but it's deep in the cowling and I think the spinner will make it pretty hard to see anything in there.

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

attached to the wings I hope!

Looks like that's going to be 2019 now Roger - hope you have a great Christmas break too

1 hour ago, massimo2 said:

Well done

Just trying to keep up to the Britmodeller standard - I was really impressed with your Buccaneer cockpit!

47 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That is a stunning interior Adrian,

Thanks Keith - I think it could be the best one I've ever done. I'm hoping I will be able to see most of it through the vac canopy.

23 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Nacelles are looking great

Thanks Stuart. I'm really glad I had a look at the Frog Beaufighter when I was re-cataloguing the stash - the Airfix Beaufighter cowlings look much too big now (although they are narrower than the published diameter of a Hercules...).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

PS: that’s the Frog original cockpit at front left...

And there was me thinking it was a couple of commodes for the crew! Silly Martian!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

I snuck into the study for a cheeky little session before the cooking starts. Turret painting:

DD34-EA0-D-00-C4-4-C2-A-9-CEC-FFEF1-EC4-

I have put the turret transparency over its moulding former to make it easier to handle and I used the shim technique to draw some pencil guide lines for the horizontal frame.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

Hmmm

It turns out that brittle Frog plastic isn’t too happy about being drilled, especially when it has been thinned to paper-thin!

53-E997-D1-09-D7-48-ED-876-B-F0561-D30-B

I think I will make some 3.5mm internal diameter hoops and fit them in then I will glaze with some clear goo.

Hey-ho (as opposed to ho-ho-ho) and a Merry Christmas to all y’all...

Adrian

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Well the day job is done, the cake is marzipanned and iced and I’ve had a go at starting the repair.

I was going to make hoops out of paper and superglue but that sounded like too much work. I have some tube which is 3.0mm internal diameter - too small. To make it bigger (3.5-4mm) I jammed the end of a paintbrush into it and poured boiling water over it before cutting each slice:

4-B154-FE3-BD85-4278-BBC5-610429-DFAF83.

I can now sand the babyjesus out of each one to get it thinner, glue it in place and Milliput around it. But not tonight - I can smell fresh mince pies!

Thanks for looking and happy Christmas,

Adrian

• Like 11

Adrian, if you need replacement fuselages, I've got 3 kits. One is the Encore re-pop and two are unknown Eastern European releases. One of those is moulded in a snot-green plastic.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

if you need replacement fuselages

Thanks Chris! I have a spare one myself, and this is, if not expected, at least par for the course. I think I will get a better result with not much extra work using my tube sections and I wouldn't fancy re-doing all the work leading up to this. It’s not like it’s an OOB build anyway...

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Courageous said:

What you need Adrian is one of these

Ooh I know! But my inner skinflint rejects the idea of spending a year’s modelling budget in one go. I should have dropped a hint for Santa...

Regards,

Adrian

27 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Ooh I know! But my inner skinflint rejects the idea of spending a year’s modelling budget in one go. I should have dropped a hint for Santa...

I must admit they're not cheap but sometimes you have to bight the bullet. You more than me with all your scratch work would use it more. As for the Santa hint, I have a little book next to my laptop that is continually updated with kits, tools, books, etc that are needed, I even put prices and where to get them...just in case 'somebody' needs ideas :wink:.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Stuart 

• Like 4

A little sneaky Christmas present to myself. I sanded down a hoop, enlarged the window opening and popped it in. A piece of masking tape over the outside holds it in place, apply superglue gel liberally around it on the inside, give it a squirt of accelerator and voici:

4941-B062-2-A81-4-F1-A-80-C2-FA8-D467-B0

TOP CHRISTMAS MODELLING TIP. Make sure you are seen taking a roll of wrapping paper into the study/den/shed and you will get half an hour of peace and quiet. Remember to wrap at least one present while you are in there!!

Better go put my presents round the tree...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

12 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

use my hole punch set more

I know I’d use it a lot, it’s just the sticker shock  every time I go to SMW! Maybe I should walk around the hall and take a deep breath...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

Great recovery on the portholes Adrian.

I second the punch set - if you're not using it for modelling you can just stroke it while making purring noises :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I know I’d use it a lot, it’s just the sticker shock  every time I go to SMW! Maybe I should walk around the hall and take a deep breath...

Regards,

Adrian

I’m the same, keep thinking I need one then break out into a sweat when I see the price 😂

great idea to recover the windows :)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Only 8 months to get that done!

I don't know what you have been messing about at; model faster! :whip:

Martian von Pot Calling the Kettle Black 👽

• Haha 6