A sacrifice to the Plastic Modelling Gods - Airfrog Beaufort- FINISHED

55 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

Ok someone has to ask, why is one machine gun upright and one on its side?

I can't answer why but I can say it is the case. This picture shows a single gun on its side in the right hand position. I'm guessing it would be to do with collecting used shells (the K gun ejected on the RHS) and possibly not being able to get two drums side by side.

But then you get pictures like this where I can't really believe that it shows a K gun on its side (but if it isn't that, what is it?).

Finally - third picture here shows one K horizontal and one vertical. Knew I'd seen it somewhere.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2018 at 8:23 PM, AdrianMF said:

I'm just hoping HobbyBoss make an announcement soon. They should be able to kit it in the easy assembly range with about 20 parts total requiring 5 minutes' sticking together...

Regards,

Adrian

Hope so, I'd have one of those, in the meantime you need to keep on & get it done just to make sure we get one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m getting happy with the Frog Beaufighter cowlings. I sanded and scraped the front edges to make them a bit more angular rather than a smooth curve and I used this setup to scribe the panel lines:

FE9-D73-F6-6-B44-4-F58-AE9-C-B075-D9204-

The plastic card allows me to adjust the scribing by ones or halves of millimetres (20 and 40 thou). Once you learn that the scriber handle has a flat side it all works swimmingly.

I’ve also remembered the math for making conical cooling gills...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian 

• Like 12

Beautiful turret Adrian - I didn't realise the guns were mounted differently either; great research :) 

Great tip on the scribing. 

Tony thanks for the Reggie clip - must watch it again. I didn't get where I am today by not watching old comedies :D 

• Haha 2

...and exhaust stacks. I didn’t fancy the Frog Beaufighter ones so these are made from 15 thou card bent over a 2x1mm card spacer:

6-CB331-A0-898-C-4-D33-B927-0-CAA958-DD6

I just need a bit of thinned plastic tubing at the back and a smear of Milliput at the front.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 5

On 12/16/2018 at 10:58 PM, AdrianMF said:

I’m getting happy with the Frog Beaufighter cowlings. I sanded and scraped the front edges to make them a bit more angular rather than a smooth curve and I used this setup to scribe the panel lines:

FE9-D73-F6-6-B44-4-F58-AE9-C-B075-D9204-

The plastic card allows me to adjust the scribing by ones or halves of millimetres (20 and 40 thou). Once you learn that the scriber handle has a flat side it all works swimmingly.

I’ve also remembered the math for making conical cooling gills...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian 

I will proudly steal that wrinkle!

Never did conical maths, mine tended to be on flat pieces of paper, but would like to have a go, what's the equation?

Box On 

Strickers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HAMP man said:

what's the equation

OK, you asked for it....

cooling-gills.jpg

If you cut a circle double the radius of the cowling, the sine value will be 1/2, so the angle will be 30 degrees. And you need half a circle to get round the cowling, cos R is twice as big as r. The limiting cases of R=r (90 degrees or flat plate) and R=infinity (0 degrees or paralell) are shown. I didn't use a slide rule but just eyeballed about double the radius.

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

scribed to represent the vanes?

You can take your coat off! The cooling gills have more plates over the gaps (like the Blenheim and Hampden) so I cut some 5 thou strips this morning. I haven't stuck them on yet because I'm not sure where the gaps for the exhausts or air intakes are going to be yet and I want to line them up nicely.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

OK, you asked for it....

cooling-gills.jpg

If you cut a circle double the radius of the cowling, the sine value will be 1/2, so the angle will be 30 degrees. And you need half a circle to get round the cowling, cos R is twice as big as r. The limiting cases of R=r (90 degrees or flat plate) and R=infinity (0 degrees or paralell) are shown. I didn't use a slide rule but just eyeballed about double the radius.

My brain hurts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

You can take your coat off! The cooling gills have more plates over the gaps (like the Blenheim and Hampden) so I cut some 5 thou strips this morning. I haven't stuck them on yet because I'm not sure where the gaps for the exhausts or air intakes are going to be yet and I want to line them up nicely.

Phew, that was close.

Stuart

• Like 1

Oh My, I've been scribbling in my rough book all morning and got nowhere near THE EQUATION.

I must be on the scale somewhere, as that has has made my day!

Can't wait to go home to the Man Cave and have a dabble (Oooo Errr matron!)

Thanks

Box On

Strickers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not even going to think about sine, cosine, etc. I left school in 1979 and all that stayed there.

Re the gun mounts, it's likely that they were all mounted the same, but the mounting allowed the gun to lie on its side. So it just depended on how the gun was lying when the pic was taken. That was certainly the case with WWI Lewis guns.

Ian

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

OK, you asked for it....

cooling-gills.jpg

OK, so I have a younger brother in the lower school but he's not playing in the match this afternoon. Following your explanation, I'm now unsure whether I have to move my coat down to the lower peg. Incidentally, I have written my letter home if it helps. (With apologies to Monty Python's Meaning of Life)

Confused of Mars 👽

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

OK, you asked for it....

cooling-gills.jpg

So that's how magnets work....

Beautiful method displayed on scribing the intervals around those cowlings Adrian. :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I have written my letter home if it helps.

The postage to Ascraeus Mons must be ruinous.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

The postage to Ascraeus Mons must be ruinous.

I wouldn't know as I always bung a second class stamp on the envelope and leave the recipient to pay the excess charge. It still has to be less than Royal Fail charge.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 5