A sacrifice to the Plastic Modelling Gods - Airfrog Beaufort- FINISHED

Well I’m meant to be building a Mig-21 but the paint needed to dry so I just had a little play with the nacelles:

BB604813-865_A-4481-_A7_F6-_A648_AA11016

They are about the right size and shape. The gaps don’t matter because I will be cutting out the undercarriage door area  anyway. I see Milliput and sandpaper in my future...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 18

• 2 months later...

Well, after four builds for the Airfix Golden Age GB and a Blitzbuild GB entry, not to mention a pile of work-related travelling, back to the main event...

The canopies, and in particular the fit of the  turret, have been bugging me. So this afternoon I constructed a shelf, bulkhead, and turret ring:

C9-BC46-A2-B688-40-E1-9-B1-B-20614-BB673

And now, with the new wider front canopy, I’m happy with the fit!

F79-CA271-17-E0-4-B48-A9-C1-4-FF9-F7-D64

Now that I’ve got that step out of the way I’m feeling a lot happier about it.

This won’t be done in time for Telford (and I wouldn’t have any place to show it anyway) but I will claim the credit if Airfix announce a new-tool Beaufort!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 19

Thanks chaps! It feels good to have got back into it again. I plan to knock the fuselage out quite quickly(*) now that the turret seems to be falling into place, then get on to the wings and things. Looking at @The Baron‘s Anson Build has made me want to tackle the nacelles!

Regards,

Adrian

(*) that’s Adrian quick, not quick quick...

• Like 6

Like the others, am delighted to see this beguiling process up and running again Adrian.

And of course if you felt like tricking out a nacelle or two, well we'd be only too pleased to benefit! 😄

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

All @TheBaron's metal work

...surely only increases the chances of lightning striking the bench during the next thunderstorm. 🌩️

• Haha 2

On 11/4/2018 at 5:29 PM, AdrianMF said:

This won’t be done in time for Telford (and I wouldn’t have any place to show it anyway) but I will claim the credit if Airfix announce a new-tool Beaufort!

Don't say that. It will be done in time for Telford, just not this year

Gondor

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I’m back home. I was walking through the airport yesterday and these reminded me of something:

97-E9285-A-3-AC8-4792-95-FE-9-A94274720-

Yeah, nacelles:

5-D648-CEF-424-B-47-ED-8-FBD-FF1-FA358-E

I had vacformed these over a balsa master. The top one has been sanded to remove the lumpiness from the moulding process.

Here they are are with the undercarriage doors cut away. I may use the offcuts as doors or I might have to make some more if they look too wonky:

51856-E0-C-A2-C5-4688-865-C-C1129629-C6-

I cut out firewalls from card and stuck the nacelles on:

08-D694-C9-212-F-47-D0-BF9-E-01-E168-E4-

The copious “P”s and “S”s are necessary as an antidote to jet lag! I also made up some brackets to busy up the interior of the nacelle.

Here they are are all fitted:

DA96-D04-E-6-ACE-403-B-B08-B-7648-DFF70-

I stuck on the brackets for the undercarriage and did a dry fit of the legs and braces. They are as nicely engineered as the wing spars and proved a good positive fit, despite my apprehensions:

EEE18-B67-2-C7-A-4243-BEFC-13-AEEB84-BE6

So I’m back in the saddle! Now for the pesky turret...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 23

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Welcome home

Thanks Pete! That first cup of tea was very nice after two weeks of 'orrible greasy coffee...

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

vacforming

Thanks Stuart - you should give it a go. Vacforming with opaque plastic card is much easier than with the transparent stuff because the card is more -er- plastic. And you can sand out all the boo-boos, as above.

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Classy nacelling

Thanks Tony. Sorry it isn't brass! I did think of getting the metallic paint out...

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Welcome back Adrian

Thanks Terry! The nacelles are the last thing apart from the turret and propellers before I can treat this like a regular kit build, so I wanted to get them out of the way.

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

undercarriage bays

Thanks Chris. The great thing about this conversion is that the undercarriage bays are unchanged, so I can use the stock kit parts and alignment. The Airfix Beaufighter has some really neat engineering in this area, so I'm looking forward to when I get to plug it in for real.

And I gave the bays a quick shot of interior green:

9-BEC6060-EDB1-4971-B7-BB-CA6-CAE6-B330-

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hi Adrian

So glad you are back on this topic as I am really looking forward to seeing it completed. 

Whilst at Telford I managed to find a Bristol Beaufort vacuform by Gerald J. Elliot which I didn't even know existed. I have added this to the stash of Frog, HiPlane and Special Hobby Beaufort in my collection. I was looking to your completion to actually pick one up and start building before Airfix bring one out!

Keep up the excellent work!

Regards

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimHead23 said:

Bristol Beaufort vacuform by Gerald J. Elliot

Wow! I've got a Sea Vixen vacuform from the same stable and it looks - errrr - challenging. Although the shape I guess must be better than the Frog one. (I presume it's 1/72).

Regards,

Adrian

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow! I've got a Sea Vixen vacuform from the same stable and it looks - errrr - challenging. Although the shape I guess must be better than the Frog one. (I presume it's 1/72).

Regards,

Adrian

Yes 1/72 and it looks very accurate (Only a tenner!). I am scared silly of vacuforms but compared to what you have tackled with this project Adrian 'challenging' is hardly appropriate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1