Tornado Gr1

goose

In principle yes!!

Depending on how close you want to be to a real aircraft.... have a look here:

And elsewhere on the forum.

The Gr.4 would probably be a better starting point though....

New Decaĺs are needed in any case.

Cheers and have a good build!

• Like 1

The basic airframe is the same but you'll need to source a skyshadow, the nose LMRTS pod, some stencil, RAF insignia, serials and aerials. Possibly Hindenberger tanks

Revells kits carry later style seats but the earlier type are normally on ebay for a couple of quid and Hannants do nice GR1 stencils and insignia

Regards

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Use the Revell GR.4

The kit comes with 2 spines, use the early spine without the GPS receiver (circular blob)

Don't put the port side under nose scanner thingy on next to the LRMTS.

Use the Eduard etch IDS Zoom cockpit set to give you GR.1 correct instruments and screens (or so close it makes no difference).

You get RAF correct pylons and under fuselage bits.

If doing an '85 on GR.1 scratch build a couple of UHF aerials for the spine.

That's what I did here.

tn_84a7513b-45e5-4dfc-b90e-b00418f97cc9.

tn_c8e66006-0d88-4f2c-a349-3aa784b14b28.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2018 at 6:46 PM, Tonka said:

well, I am converting the 1/48 Revell kit GR1  to the P9, 

...under fair use of images is reproduced here for illustration purpose only...

http://www.tornado-data.com/History/Prototypes/p9.htm

(C) Panavia Aircraft GmbH

Awesome! I plan on also doing a few MRCA prototypes, will you post some pictures on here of the converison or the final result? Most of the mods look not too difficult but the curved air intake bleed vents might be a bit tricky with the Revell part breakdown. I plan on doing P.01 and P.08. Nice to see someone else tackling the MRCA prototype aircraft! 

David

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2018 at 1:12 PM, mirageiv said:

Awesome! I plan on also doing a few MRCA prototypes, will you post some pictures on here of the converison or the final result? Most of the mods look not too difficult but the curved air intake bleed vents might be a bit tricky with the Revell part breakdown. I plan on doing P.01 and P.08. Nice to see someone else tackling the MRCA prototype aircraft! 

David

Thank You David
In fact I have made some search during some  last Years to study what are need to build the Italian P9;
I am not a rivet counter but I do like to represent details and differences between aircrafts correctly.
First time I saw the P9 was in the magazine JP4 and "was love at first sight", that  camou OTAN with
dark green-dark gray with RED bands (yes, in that Age in the JP4 magazine they seemed well RED, and not 
"International Orange"), Tri-National cocars and tons of photo references signs.

Well I had several 1/48 Tornado kits during all these Years =  ESCI, Italeri, Airfix, HB, but due to my work

I was not able to place my work bench , tools, paints, books, pics and mainly clean mind to dedicate for.

Now retired I hope to model something...

Get the GR4 kit, not much difference in price if you shop around and all the bits are in the box except the correct outer pylons(which Revel some how missed)>I've made some in resin if you want to accurate along with wing seals to replace the kits basic seals.

Nice work on a prototype MRCA, but a nice way to cheat would be using this decal sheet?  lol

http://www.syhartdecal.fr/references.php?lang=ENG&ref=Syhart 097&page=description

Shaun.

On ‎13‎-‎4‎-‎2018 at 11:44 AM, Shaun said:

Get the GR4 kit, not much difference in price if you shop around and all the bits are in the box except the correct outer pylons(which Revel some how missed)>I've made some in resin if you want to accurate along with wing seals to replace the kits basic seals.

Nice work on a prototype MRCA, but a nice way to cheat would be using this decal sheet?  lol

http://www.syhartdecal.fr/references.php?lang=ENG&ref=Syhart 097&page=description

Shaun.

I could be interested to the pylons and wing seals, Shaun.  How can I get them? 

• 5 months later...

Reviving an old thread because I'm wanting to build an 80's RAF GR.1 and having had a read of a few threads on here it's clear that the Revell GR.4 boxing is the only game in town, except that it isn't in town anymore. I can't find even a hint of one for sale anywhere. The IDS kit is everywhere and cheap, but without an Airfix kit to go with it to donate the LMRTS glass and the fuel tanks, it's apparently useless.

How come the GR.4 kit has so quickly become even rarer than Hasegawa's RAF Phantoms and Airfix's Buccaneers? Were they all just bought the week it hit the shops and put in to attics ready to be sold for £70 plus in the coming years? (rather like the Hasegawa Phantoms).

Is the Hobby Boss kit really as bad as the reviews say? It does seem expensive for something that got absolutely panned in the reviews for looking nothing like a Tornado. A pity as it has 45(R) squadron decals too.

2 hours ago, Witness said:

Revell have discontinued it. You may still find you can order some off their website though. 

I see. I assume that they haven't discontinued the earlier IDS boxing or was there just very little demand for that version? I wonder if Revell do a replacement parts service and would be able to send the clear part for the LMRTS and the IRLS pod as I think they are pretty much the only notable difference in the airframe parts.

I do wonder why these companies discontinue such popular kits all the time. With people fighting on auction sites to pay 70 plus pounds for twenty odd year old kits you'd think Airfix and co would be chuffing out Spey Phantom's, Buccs and Tornado's like there's no tomorrow.

54 minutes ago, Filler said:

I see. I assume that they haven't discontinued the earlier IDS boxing or was there just very little demand for that version?

Kit was produced by Revell (Germany) who no doubt know their home market hence the various Luftwaffe special schemes they release and for whom the GR.4 would have been a niche market item.     On the other hand they do tend to eventually re-release kits although I do not know how the the wider Revell brand financial issues might have left them.

There does seem to be at least one available from the Czech Republic at the moment for around 26 pounds but no idea of the shipping , shown in stock at - http://www.pkmodelar.cz/plastikove-modely-revell-modely-letadel/revell-04924-tornado-gr-4-1-48-99202 - never dealt with them so no idea what the service is like.

Edited by Des

Yep, the mind boggles. I can't even think of a commercial benefit to it. And the answer is buying an aftermarket part or buying an Airfix donor kit that either way costs as much as the kit itself or even more in the Airfix case. It's pretty obvious but I'm quite vexed by this.

In fact, to end up with the model I'd like I think I'd need to buy a Revell IDS for the nicely detailed accurately shaped model, an Airfix kit for the RAF's unique sensor parts and a Hobby Boss kit for the 45 squadron decals. So somewhere in the region of £100.

Edited by Filler
Additional vexation.

5 hours ago, Witness said:

All of this talk of discontinued models spooked me. Just ordered another one from Revell! 40 euros... 

Bit pricey, but I guess that's 10 to 20 quid less than when they start to re-emerge  from the attics and appear on eBay. Was that including postage?

Would the LRMTS transparency be that hard to scratch? I think it’s just a wedge-shaped piece.

Not sure what 45 flew when, but do you require the IRLS fairings for a straight 1?

And as 45 was the shadow identity of the TWCU (IIRC... at least way back when), you may well get away with a tankless machine, possibly.

I was wondering if there's a way to scratch the clear part. I'll think about it. As you say, I don't think that the IRLS would be needed in this instance, but they did more often than not still carry the tanks. There are a few shots of them on static at airshows without though. In those instances the BOZ pod does seem to be ever present though. I assume that part is also GR1 boxing specific.

Having said that, I've just found a photo of one completely clean.

Edited by Filler

Remember the Gr.4 boxing is not just the IDS box with some extras... The pylons for example are different from one box to the other.  Also the insert for the upper trailing edge of the fin (different on an Italian IDS) is not included in the Gr.4 box.

But I agree it’s a shame the Gr.4 is discontinued.  I would also like to see the IDS reissued with some more standard schemes (both German and Italian). No doubt they will appear over time...

G

• Like 1

2 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

But I agree it’s a shame the Gr.4 is discontinued.  I would also like to see the IDS reissued with some more standard schemes (both German and Italian). No doubt they will appear over time...

G

That's also an excellent point. I appreciate that this is subjective, but personally I'm amazed they so often foist these cartoonish special schemes upon us. Standard schemes all the way for me, or at most, an option for a special tail, but these head to toe schemes just don't seem to actually be that popular when you look at finished models posted on line or seen at shows. I'm not even convinced young modellers are that fussed for these schemes, especially in 1:48 scale.

A standard Italian camo scheme would be heaven sent!