Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2

Hi All,

@Chris Calland and I are pleased to present to you, our OOB build of the Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2.

She has been a kit which has been neglected atop kitchen cupboards and under sofas until it got passed to me to build along with my friend, Chris.

Link to our WIP page is here:

2vkes74.jpg

ay7yh4.jpg

17pmjd.jpg

2l94d2e.jpg

2akirkn.jpg

I know that my model photography skills leave a lot to be desired :P

Thanks for looking, and thanks to those who have helped and offered advice to me along the way.

Mark & Chris

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great result. How did you divide your labour?

Thank you Alpha, we would set 3 or 4 hours a week aside for a lads night. We'd get as much done as we could, and I'd try and get some done in the spare time I had. Sometimes there wouldn't be any work done for 2-4 weeks, though.

12 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Looks great chaps!

Thank you B.M :)

11 hours ago, Bitzer said:

That is a great looking ship and crackin build! I will defiantly need to look into one of these.

Thank you Bitzer, they'e going for about £90 these days on Amazon and ebay

• Like 1

21 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Really nicely finished. 

(The amount of draught these big liners have always seems a little worrying)

Super job

Rob

Draught is directly related to displacement. The, apparently, shallow draught is an indication of how little these ships weight in relation to their volume. They're like big empty boxes giving them a very low average density. 

If your concern is stability, the key is that the center of buoyancy has to move towards the list creating a positive righting moment. Typically, for comfort, you don't want an overly stable ship because the result will be a stiff roll mode that rocks the ship quickly from side-by-side and requires much more active roll damping.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Really nicely finished. 

(The amount of draught these big liners have always seems a little worrying)

Super job

Rob

Yes, I know the feeling. Especially when you look at the Royal Caribbean 'Of The Seas' Fleet.

Thank You for your kind words, Rob.

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Rwa66 said:

Very nice build, well done to both of you.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard, there are parts which are nagging me still, but on the whole I love it. If you go to IPMS shows, I've just joined upto a local group, so will be looking to display it at several this year

It's very easy to be hyper-critical of your own work, especially when looking at high resolution close ups etc. You should be pleased with your work, it sounds like it was an epic build and that it clearly came good at the end. Kudos for seeing it through.

Regards

Richard

11 hours ago, Rwa66 said:

It's very easy to be hyper-critical of your own work, especially when looking at high resolution close ups etc. You should be pleased with your work, it sounds like it was an epic build and that it clearly came good at the end. Kudos for seeing it through.

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard, believe me, it only took so long because it pushed our patience. If not for that, it'd have been done in a few months. There was a lot of poor fitting and warped plastic, but we pushed through it and now we're onto aircraft again. Happy days :lol:

• Like 1