Vista Fairey Fulmar.

stevej60

Hi Folk's, I thought I'd go with this Kit for this GB as a small,chilled easy build.I've built airfix's boxing so I know there's no suprises in store, I got it a while back

dirt cheap from King Kit so time it was built,thinking of the Torch option as the US star's look a bit different to my other build,no doubt I'll do another later as

I have Airfix's Phantom in the stash which qualifies and I no doubt will think of another.Box art a rather uninspiring  view of a Fulmar flying over the brown cliff's

of Dover!

40865202961_4ca96b8d93_o.jpg

My previous attempt at this kit.

SDC12739640x480_zps02b27b6a.jpg

• Like 11

glad you could join us Steve, nice choice.

So that's just a re-boxed Airfix model? I've never seen that brand before, though I must we don't get a lot of stuff downunder!

Your previous one is lovely, so looking forward to seeing what you do this time, good luck with the build.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

So that's just a re-boxed Airfix model? I've never seen that brand before, though I must we don't get a lot of stuff downunder!

Other way around I believe Rich. Vista made the moulds and everyone else including Airfix used the plastic in their own boxes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

oh ok, I've never heard of them, wow do they do other stuff?

Not so far as I know Rich but others may be able to tell us otherwise.

53 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I believe the Smer P-40E/Kittyhawk boxing is also a Vista kit.

Steve.

It certainly was Steve but unlike this kit it is awful,I tried it a couple of year's ago and I still have nightmare's!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Steve,

that promises to be interesting. Like most, I have never heard of that brand... until now, that is. But this model sure looks neat.

Will follow your build.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Steve,

that promises to be interesting. Like most, I have never heard of that brand... until now, that is. But this model sure looks neat.

Will follow your build.

Cheers

JR

Hello Jean,Ill post the sprue's pic's  tomorrow they are very well molded but some area's are a little soft on detail a lovely canopy though.

Hi folk's,a couple of sprue shot's,there is some lovely detail on this kit especially the fine panel lines.

40216331214_1ba8018d0f_b.jpg

being my third go at this kit I know fit is spot on and beautiful molding on the canopy.

40882983132_78431a0998_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/18/2018 at 10:58 AM, stevej60 said:

It certainly was Steve but unlike this kit it is awful,I tried it a couple of year's ago and I still have nightmare's!

That figures.  I test fitted mine a few times, then scrapped it.  The Fulmar on the other hand is fine.  I'm looking forward to seeing how you do on yours.  My Fulmar came a cropper and got scrapped too, but I rescued the plastic card inserts I made to box in the main gear wells, and I'll use them on the replacement kit.

When I saw the long narrow panels on the rear fuselage I was moved to wonder if the Fulmar was clinker or carvel built.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris57 said:

Re the other kits by Vista, I've got an Attacker FB2 in the stash by them.

Interesting Chris,if you get the chance Iwouldn't mind a photo of the mold's I wonder if it's Frog in origin?

• Like 1

This is a little kit that I always liked for some reason ! It's not perfect, some areas require some work to be improved for accuracy and detail, but overall it's a very nice base onto which a modeller can decide what to add. And looks pretty good if built from the box too. Looking forward to your build !

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, chris57 said:

Re the other kits by Vista, I've got an Attacker FB2 in the stash by them.

Sorry Steve  Ignore this post, I'm talking out of my not so pretty end. When I located this kit it's an AZ product I need to amend my kit list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris57 said:

Sorry Steve  Ignore this post, I'm talking out of my not so pretty end. When I located this kit it's an AZ product I need to amend my kit list.

No problem Chris asked as I have a soft spot for the attacker despite it's "cobbled" together look and having got a Trumpeter 1/48 scale one on

the shelf wouldn't mind a 1/72 scale partner that isn't Frogspawn.

DSCN1593_zpshdcfo8is.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Hi folk's,start made on this one.I added a rear bulkhead and the floor/rudder pedal's and control column from  spare Hellcat part's then sprayed interior

green ready for a few detail's such as harness etc.

40962255152_1193033877_b.jpg

And not wanting to get bogged down in load's of extra work still felt it best to box in the U/C bay tosomeextent.

39195322810_ac816c150c_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

Always good to enhance the basic kit as it will make a difference. :thumbsup:

The_Royal_Navy_during_the_Second_World_W

But I am not sure if interior green is the right colour for the wheel bay. I would think silver would be more likely.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

When the Vista Fulmar appeared, there was talk of it being followed by an Albacore and perhaps another FAA type.  My understanding is that the company folded before any other subject appeared.  Wasn't the SMER P-40 an ex-Heller, like so many other SMER subjects?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Always good to enhance the basic kit as it will make a difference. :thumbsup:

But I am not sure if interior green is the right colour for the wheel bay. I would think silver would be more likely.

Cheers, Peter

I'll check it out Peter and change it before assembly.

Hi fol'k's,I've assembled the wing's after a couple of coat's of Humbrol aluninium and after sanding they seem fine,started detailing the 

pilot's seat with tape belt's need tosee what the "armchair" for the observer is all about!

27197795608_b9577e4434_b.jpg

• Like 6

Hi folk's I got a bit more done this morning on this one,looking at Fulmar cockpit's and navigator's area they were cramped and cluttered,now I'm

not claiming any accuracy but using part's from the Hurricane sprue's I was about to bin I added some cut up bit's and pieces to busy up the basic

empty fuselage and the armchair supplied was replaced with a more accurate looking seat now under paint it look' better when the fuselage is joined

upona dry run.

41060008362_e0625f9b88_b.jpg

40393355734_1493e2bb33_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/18/2018 at 6:05 AM, stevehnz said:

I believe the Smer P-40E/Kittyhawk boxing is also a Vista kit.

Steve.

The Vista P-40 is a K with the rounded fin fillet. I just checked on Scalemates and it looks like the same kit. I didn't think it was that bad. 

• Like 1