B-17 E 'Birmingham Blitzreig' question

yeehah1

17.03.2018 and 

Hi all,

I want to make this B-17 'Birmingham Blitzreig'. I have asked this question in the 'Want' section elsewhere but I thought it might be better to ask here.

I found this topic on the Britmodeller forum 

and the modeller, Deacon, eventually used Revell's B-17F to make the B-17 and took the E nose and propellers and put them on the F as he felt they were the main exterior differences.

Would this work for an E? I don't need to worry about turrets and guns as they were removed. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Liam

Just check out the windows in the nose,..... most E `s had the three rectangular and identical side windows,..... while most 8th AF F`s had the addition of the large cheek windows mounting guns, which replaced one of these windows. Also check whether your aircraft had an astrodome or not,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

17 03 2018

Thank You Tony.

I went back into the stash and found an old Revell Fortress IIA.... H-213 in Costal Command markings. Didn't know I had one. Apparently, it's an E!

Seems basic, lots of rivet detail and it might benefit from some aftermarket.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/193851-revell-h-213-boeing-fortress-iia

Thank you for your suggestions :)

Liam

Edited by yeehah1
  • Like 1

If you're talking about 1/48, then putting an E-model framed nose and narrow-blade props on the Revell F would get you there.  I'm not familiar with "Birmingham Blitzkrieg," but most B-17Es were "upgraded" with the enlarged cheek gun windows once in service..at least those in tge 8th AF.  Very early Es had the remote-control Sperry belly turret, but I don't think any of these were ever used in the ETO.

Addendum: I didn't read your post thoroughly.   Judging by the photos at this site: http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/1166 "Birmingham Blitzkrieg" appears to have been upgraded with a blown nose cap and broad-blade props, as well as the enlarged cheek gun posittions, making her indistinguishable from an early F.  So simply removing the turrets from the 1/48 or 1/72 Revell F would do the trick.  

Interestingly, I've always seen the plane in her formation assembly markings shown as red and white in artist's renderings (only black-and-white photos exist) but the link above says she was in the standard olive drab over neutral gray, just with broad white stripes added.

SN

Steve sounds like he is more knowledgeable than me on this airccraft,.....so follow his advice,...not mine! My Fortress knowledge comes more from an RAF perspective.

Here are some pics which may help,....if you have not already seen them;

Image result for b-17 birmingham blitzkrieg

.hope they help,

Cheers

Tony

I appreciate the compliment, but the only knowledge I have of the markings comes from the link I posted.  All the artists' renderings I've seen of the aircraft show the stripes as red and white. 😉

SN

Thanks for your replies guys. A great help all in all. Pity about the red/white stripes but the white/olive drab looks interesting and I think I will go with that  with the Revell F kit, just changing the nose and nose windows.

Much appreciated the help :)

Liam