1/48 A-4Q skyhawk Falkland war update Finished 02-05-2018

Arniec

Hi guys,

I will be building a A-4Q skyhawk in 1/48 scale from Hobby Craft. There are some decals to build a B, but also decals for a Q version that where operated at the start from the Falklands war at the aircraft carrier Veintcino De Mayo There are some different schemes in the box. I could do a original painted one with grey and white in high visibility scheme or later in the war when they were operated from land base.

Here are the pictures of the box and it's content. 

IMG_4296

The content of the box

IMG_4300

the decals

IMG_4299

and the colour schemes. These are all schemes for the Q.

IMG_4298

And a extra seat for the cockpit. If I am not mistaken then it was from verlinden.

IMG_4301

It will be mainly be build out of the box. 

That is it for now. 

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 11

Welcome aboard Arnold, what a great choice, nice to see one of the lesser navies represented.

Good luck with the build, it'll be interesting to see which way you go.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2018 at 5:26 PM, trickyrich said:

Welcome aboard Arnold, what a great choice, nice to see one of the lesser navies represented.

Good luck with the build, it'll be interesting to see which way you go.

Great to see the Australian Cultural Attache in action, all that tact and diplomacy training has really paid off ! :whistle:

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great to see the Australian Cultural Attache in action, all that tact and diplomacy training has really paid off ! :whistle:

you know I went to the "Sir Les Patterson International School of Diplomacy and Culture Indifference".........got honors in drinking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi guys, 

I have made a start today with the cockpit. I have used some replacement parts from a A-4B from Hasegawa. As I have already got a replacemnt resin cockpit for that kit.

Here is the cockpit ready for some paint.

IMG_4302IMG_4303

And here after some paint.

IMG_4304IMG_4305

All the details still needs to be painted, but the basic color is on. 

I also painted the exhaust. This was also a replacement from Hasegawa. The original kit part was far to shalow.

IMG_4306

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

I have just finished the cockpit and I have also closed the fuselage. I have also glued the wings together.

I gave the cockpit a wash and some detail painting. 

Here are some pictures.

The cockpit.

IMG_4307IMG_4310IMG_4309IMG_4311IMG_4312

And the fuselage closed and the wings

IMG_4313IMG_4314IMG_4315

O, hobby craft don't mention any weight in the nose, but Hasegawa does. So I put some in for safety.

That is it for now

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

Good work on the Scooter. This variant of the A4 has always been a favourite of mine. I saw one of these kits at Southern Expo and wished Id picked it up! The Hobbycraft kits were slated when they were first relased, but they do have open leading edge slats, unlike the new kits from Hobbyboss! 

• Like 1

I have cleaned up the fuselage and the wing. They have been put together. I Have also put on some extra parts.

The flaps are putted on in the closed position. I needed to put a few shims of plastic card on the front side, so the would be raised to the level of the rest of the wing. 

I have got no picture jet and hope to do some more work tomorrow.

Cheers,

It took some time to post some pictures of what I have been done lately. 

After the last pictures I putted the fuselage and wings together after I had cleaned up the seams.

IMG_4317

Then I went on to put tje pylons on and the fit at the wings was horrible. They were far to loose, so I plugged the holes and made some new ones.

IMG_4316IMG_4319IMG_4318

As you can see on the last picture is that the new holes are smaller. And here are the pylons fitted.

IMG_4320

Then I put on the masking and also the undercarriage.

IMG_4321IMG_4322

This is as far as it is now. Nearly ready for some paint.:D

O, I have also made the fueltanks and bombs, but have no picture. 

Cheers,

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys,

It took me some time before I started painting, But I have done the most in the last two days.

Here are the pictures.

The underside painted white, together with all the parts that needed that color. 

IMG_4323

I also started painting and masking the parts that were needed to have the blue color from Argentina.

IMG_4325IMG_4324

and now after the blue. I used Gunze H323 for it.

IMG_4327IMG_4326

And then I masked the blue, after witch I painted the top color with Gunze H325.And here is the result.

IMG_4328IMG_4330IMG_4331

That is it for now guys.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 7

I was wondering where you had gotten to on this build.

Gee that paint job is really nice!!! It looks nice and faded and it's only just the base colour, well done! :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see her when she done!

• Like 2

Great job so far. The blue looks brilliant on already, glad you are building this version. Is this a rare kit or is there a place I might pick one up? Cheers 

5 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Great job so far. The blue looks brilliant on already, glad you are building this version. Is this a rare kit or is there a place I might pick one up? Cheers 

Thanxs,

I don't know if it is still available. I bought it when it first came available. The Hasegawa version is even more rare to find, but also the more detailed one. That said it also is quite expensive to buy. This one will be more reasanal priced. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arniec said:

Thanxs Rich. I will try to finish her before the Me-262 STGB starts. 😉

Cheers,

don't remind me!!!  I've go two monsters on the table at the moment that I need to finish!!!  :frantic:

Hi guys,

I have made some progress the last few days. The decals are on and also have I given it a panel line wash and a dull clear coat.

Here are the pictures.

First I have put on the decals. These are from the kit and are very thin. I had used at the start decals solvent, but this was not good for the decals so I placed them with water and later I putted on some micro set.

IMG_4337IMG_4336IMG_4338IMG_4339

Than I gave it a Klear coat to seal them in for the panel wash. Here are two pictures of the model with the wash on. I used a self made wash that is called sludge.

IMG_4340IMG_4341

It looks messy, but that will be removed after it has dried. And here is the result.

IMG_4342IMG_4343IMG_4344IMG_4345IMG_4346

I have also given it a few hours ago a dull clear coat. This will dry overnight so I can build her up tomorrow. 

She is in the final stage now.

Cheers,

• Like 5

Wow! Great looking Armada Skyhawk, id say perfect!

can I order a bottle of the Arniec sludge please? 

Looking great!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Any hints and tips regarding the content and application of said Arniec's self made Sludge please?

Ok guys,

Sludge is not from me, but I picked that up about 15 years ago in the fine scale modeller magazine and have used it sins then.

Sludge is made of 5 parts water,3 part fairy and 2 parts tamiya waterbased paint. take a good quality washing detergent otherwise it might not work. I use a seringe with scaling in it to get the good rations of all the ingredients. I always make a tamiya small paint pot. This lasts for quite some models before it is empty. O, if you mix it than use a brush to stir it. Don't shake ore you will get bubbles.

The advantage is that you can make your wash in what ever colour you want. I mostly use a mix of black and brown.

If you are going to use it than the model has to be gloss painted. I always use it after the decals that are sealed in with a coat of Klear. You bring it on in parts and when it is dry, you can whipe the rest of with a cheap damp kitchen cloth. Don't make it to wet or you will wipe out the wash. After everything is done you can let it dry and so long as you haven't sealed it you can still wipe it away with a damp cloth. 

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the details on the sludge, I have struggled in the past to get consistent results but I'll give your recipe a go on the next suitable candidate. It works to great effect on your A4 which is looking really sharp.

Cheers, M.

7 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Thanks for the details on the sludge, I have struggled in the past to get consistent results but I'll give your recipe a go on the next suitable candidate. It works to great effect on your A4 which is looking really sharp.

Cheers, M.

Try it on a plastic wing first and see how it works. If you don't like it you can just wash it of under the tap. I don't want to be responsible for a ruined model.  

Cheers,

• Haha 1