The Weather,

Mick4350

Another Meteo masterpiece again.

It has been bitterly cold here for a few days. Yesterday, the forecast ( at midday ) for last night was a low of -3C, which had changed to +3C by 1800 with rain. Well it did rain, and still is raining but the temperature at 0600 this morning was 11C !!

John

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Christmas Day 42.8 C

Boxing Day       43.5 C

Monday.            41.0 C

Tuesday.           40.7 C

Cooled down to a manageable 28 C today, can probably get some painting done tonight. I wasn't game to try over Christmas.

• 5 months later...

I hear that you’re expecting a heat wave in dear old Blighty, well how’s this then,Just come back from giving the horses some hay in their stables and it’s 35deg down there in partial shade and expected to reach 42 by the end of the week!

John

PS 

Heard this morning that the govt website has advice on how to cope with the heat including:-

Wear light clothing, drink lots of liquid( not alcohol ), walk in the shade and do not leave children and pets in hot cars.

Nanny state or what! Do they really believe that people have to be told these things, perhaps they do when their leader uses “ Nobody told me” as an excuse.

• Like 2

However, anyone with his eyes open will see people drinking alcohol in hot weather and leaving pets - perhaps less commonly children - in cars with closed windows.  So no to accusations of "nanny state" but just repetition of good advice that is widely not followed.  Whether it will be any more followed now is another matter, as I suspect that government websites largely go unread by those who might benefit most from their advice. but to claim that people don't need to be told these things is simply unreal.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Creeping up towards 40C ( although already more than that in direct sun ). The breeze has gone here also although it did cloud over yesterday evening.

Our daily routine at the moment consists of, rise at 0530, horses out at 0630, dogs walked at 0730, horses in at 0900 and snooze after lunch. It’s a tough life when you’re retired.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was cloudy yesterday which was nice today the south facing front door's open and the north facing windows are open and there's a lovely breeze through the hall and the temp's dropped down to 23/24 over the last couple of days but late weekend and early next week are going to be a killer when we're not used to it...

Now here's a funny thing. (Ah, good old Max Miller). I had to wear a pair of gloves today. I'd left the car up the top of the garden in the shade, but by lunch time it was in full sun. When I got into it to put it away in the garage, I could not keep my hands on the wheel, because it was so hot. It's now 36 degrees. No more work today.

John.

PS. Forecast for next Wednesday is thunderstorms and rain all day........pure bliss!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The bl*** shade keeps moving that’s the problem. Our drive is in the shade in the morning but full sun after about 1100, so if we need to use the car we move it before then.

Stay cool and hydrated everyone.

John. 🇺🇦

• Like 2

My flat has a living room window which is about 8ft by 5ft. It faces south, about 170*

From early morning, about 8am, through to about 19.30, the sun is full on this window, and thus heats up my flat

Great in winter but a wee bit too hot today

Be careful in those cars chaps.

A friend of mine once got severe burns, needing skin grafts, from the hot vinyl seats in his car. He was wearing short shorts and the backs of his thighs got instantly burnt when he sat on the driver's seat

• Like 2

In the great hot summer of 1976 ( yes I’m old ) I had a part -time job with an off-airport parking service near Heathrow where we took customers to the airport and parked their in our large car park. Some of the cars were there for 2 weeks or more and most have vinyl seats at that time so you can imagine how hot they got. The manager (an ex mustang pilot) solved the problem of burnt legs/hands by cutting up roller towels and giving everyone enough for a seat cover and giving us all tennis player type wrist bands to put over our hands

• Like 4

Blisteringly hot here today so taking advantage. Just sprayed a Magna VC10 with appliance white and it's cooking off in the sun.

Better move it before either 1. It warps in the heat or 2. the bugs settle on it.

At 1400 today it was 41C behind my home made Stevenson screen ( it’s got holes instead of slats and isn’t painted white ) so probably more like 39C in real Met Office temperature, but hot enough. There is quite a stiff breeze blowing but in contrast to the last couple of days it offers no relief as it’s like standing in front of a hair dryer!

Stay cool and hydrated everyone.

John. 🇺🇦

• Like 2

So all the dire warnings of doom at 40° didn't actually come true, we had a high of 38.1°c.

mind you, 38.1 is nearer 40 than 34.2, which is what it was in Bude, about 14 miles from where we are holidaying. It did feel hot outside, though.

Edited by Whofan
  • Haha 1

I am truly sorry you people across the pond are experiencing a typical Texas summer.  It does take a bit of getting used to.  I think it has not been below 100 degrees (F) during the last 45 days more than 8 times.  Today's high is projected to be 109 (it's already at that point), Tuesday 109, Wednesday 109, a cool front comes through and it drops to 102 Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but then gets back to normal at 106 for the following week's highs.  You have my sympathy because I have seen how non-Texans react to our summers and it ain't pretty.  Take it slow, hydrate, and when you stop sweating, that is usually bad news.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

Take it slow

That's my stock in trade! :cwl:

Another thing to add to George's wise counsel is to check on your elderlies, whether they're related or neighbours that you know of.  The heat can take it out of older people, so make sure they're pacing themselves.  I've just come off the blower with my old folks, and they're chipper as anything.  They're both a bit on the nesh side thanks to various old-people conditions, but they seem to be coping quite well considering.  My mum was at the hozzy today getting a check up after her cataract operation, and she said it was lovely and cool in there.  Now there's a turn-up! :shocked:

• Like 1

Just had a notification from the local Mairie saying that the smell of smoke and blue haze is from the large fires in the Gironde ( about 200km SW of us). One of our friends who is a Fire Office in Limoges and a  volunteer in his local area is down there at the moment helping out. Hope he and everyone else are OK.

Still hovering around 40C here at the moment but thunderstorms forecast for tonight and max 26C tomorrow, I hope they’re right.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Just had a notification from the local Marie saying that the smell of smoke and blue haze is from the large fires in the Gironde ( about 200km SW of us). One of our friends who is a Fire Office in Limoges and a  volunteer in his local area is down there at the moment helping out. Hope he and everyone else are OK.

Still hovering around 40C here at the moment but thunderstorms forecast for tonight and max 26C tomorrow, I hope they’re right.

John

We had similar this morning. When I looked out of the (south facing) window this morning, there was a distinct haze all around, and SWMBO swore that she could smell smoke. But it's been very pleasant here all day, with hardly any sunshine, so I opened up the windows at opposite ends of the house and we had a nice cool breeze blowing through the upstairs. Should be more comfortable to seep tonight.

John.

Today's cruel twist of fate. The mobile air con unit I ordered at the weekend arrived a day earlier than expected. But it was seriously damaged and the supplier un-contactable for a replacement, only an automated facility for a return (at my heft) and the slow wait for a refund :(

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Just watched the bloke in front of me at the lights chuck his fag end out the window onto the grass :angrysoapbox.sml:

Wonder why we get wildfires?

A huge field near us went up in smoke yesterday. All the local farmers turned up to try to put it out, but due to a sudden change in wind direction, one of their tractors went up with it. 

• Sad 3

On 7/20/2022 at 2:47 PM, lasermonkey said:

A huge field near us went up in smoke yesterday. All the local farmers turned up to try to put it out, but due to a sudden change in wind direction, one of their tractors went up with it. 

Here in Texas, because the temperatures have been above 100 for so many days and the rainfall for this year is less than half of what it usually is, all of the grass in the pastures and ranges is brown and dry.  Wild fires are active with 15 not contained having burned 11,125 acres; 37 100% contained; and since Friday 38 new wildfires have developed due to the dry and hot conditions.

I'm giving winter round bales to the horses and cattle due to the poor quality of natural food in all of our pastures.  I've moved the round bales (about 1,000 pounds a bale) onto an unused asphalt road on the property to help protect them if a wild fire does spread to our property. 

Most of the wildfires sources are from thrown cigarettes from passing cars and sparks from 18 wheelers and their trailers (loose chains, etc. hitting the highway).

The most preventable are those driving and then disposing of their cig butts out the window rather than keep them in the car and disposing of them later.

Every morning when I go to feed the horses I can smell smoke in the air from some local wildfire.  Can't wait for fall and winter to appear with some moisture.  Then, I'll complain about the freezing weather, snow and ice!!

• Like 1