The Weather,

Mick4350

Well, we've had quite the mix these past few days..... Saturday saw our temp reach 96F/35.5C, which is 1F below our all-time record. Yesterday and today, we saw heavy rain and thunderstorms with flash flooding on the eastside of town. That's a Flagstaff summer for you!

• Like 2

I heard someone on Radio4 this morning warning that temperatures in the UK could reach 28C, well the temperature here at 1245 was 32C in the shade, and the hottest part of the day is usually around 1600!

John

PS: At the same time on Sunday, two days ago, it was overcast with a temperature of 18C.  Crazy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Was absolutely boiling here early afternoon, but now in a torrential thunderstorm

Not that I'm complaining, another much more severe thunderstorm is stuck over the maidstone area and has been for the last couple of hours and no sign its moving or dissipating,

Edited by PhantomBigStu

43 minutes ago, Mike said:

29c on the patio, 24c in my workshop.  Not too bad unless I have to move 🥵

Sounds almost like here Mike. Except we were in the 36-37c range. You didn't walk around you swam.Even with fans running and AC on still to hot to do anything with the exception of melting into a puddle.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Sounds almost like here Mike. Except we were in the 36-37c range. You didn't walk around you swam.Even with fans running and AC on still to hot to do anything with the exception of melting into a puddle.

My aircon is making very slow inroads into the temperature, and I'm helping the cooler air get around by using a couple of fans.  It's supposed to get hotter today and tomorrow IIRC, then it's going to be cooler and wetter.  That could be fun :(

• Sad 1

I live in the Met Office’s ‘Extreme Weather Alert’ zone (or ‘blob’ judging by the picture) and I watch the temperature of my home ‘office’ get up to 29 just before I popped out earlier. 

For the 8th consecutive year running I regret not buying an aircon unit during the winter when they’re cheaper. I really do never learn!

42 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

For the 8th consecutive year running I regret not buying an aircon unit during the winter when they’re cheaper. I really do never learn!

That's me too. Every year. Swear blind I'll get one, then promptly forget about the idea once autumn comes. 

I will do it this year though... 

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

You really should invest when they're offloading them, good plan (just remember it this time ;)).  I got mine when our little grey cat was a kitten, as we couldn't open the windows to let her out yet.  She'll be 16 this year, and apart from having to fix it once when I refitted the workshop last year (some plastic parts had broken), it's been a godsend in here, particularly now I've got an outlet in the wall.  I can highly recommend it  :yes:

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

You really should invest when they're offloading them, good plan (just remember it this time ;)).  I got mine when our little grey cat was a kitten, as we couldn't open the windows to let her out yet.  She'll be 16 this year, and apart from having to fix it once when I refitted the workshop last year (some plastic parts had broken), it's been a godsend in here, particularly now I've got an outlet in the wall.  I can highly recommend it  :yes:

I've put three reminders in my calendar for the last week in October with the last being in capitals. Its close enough to payday to make me do it and unlike November I won't put it off because I want to blow the money on Christmas.

I've also realised that my house has the windows on the wrong side - facing the sun. I might ask my neighbour if I can swap my house for theirs until the sun goes away.

13 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

I might ask my neighbour if I can swap my house for theirs until the sun goes away.

Seems fair! :clap2: We get the sun on the side of our house all day, and despite the upstairs being white render, the bedrooms get very hot on the worst days.  I'm trying not to blow money on aircon for the bedroom for the cost as well as the environmental effects, but I have to wonder how much juice the ceiling fan and any others we have running are gobbling up.  I need to move to the Arctic cicrle. :hmmm: Nordmodeller.com, anyone?

7 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Try fitted blinds - they really work well.

I have some window film fitted to my workshop door... window, and that's supposed to cut up to 80% of the heat transfer in either direction, so it should help in the winter too.  Fitting it is a faff, but you can buy the stuff quite cheaply on eBay, and with a bit of practice, I managed to do a decent job on mine.  It turns the windows to mirrors during the day, but you can be seen at night though, so don't go parading round in the nip once the sun goes down.  No one wants to see that :puke:

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Seems fair! :clap2: We get the sun on the side of our house all day, and despite the upstairs being white render, the bedrooms get very hot on the worst days.  I'm trying not to blow money on aircon for the bedroom for the cost as well as the environmental effects, but I have to wonder how much juice the ceiling fan and any others we have running are gobbling up.  I need to move to the Arctic cicrle. :hmmm: Nordmodeller.com, anyone?

If I actually manage to get one aircon machine then come the summer I'll just live out of the single room and abandon the rest of the house to nature.

I just checked the temperature and it's a remarkable 25°c inside the house and 21°c out in the garden. Remarkable you might ask? But check out the time, it's nearly midnight as I post this and I live on the west coast of Ireland. Not an area noted for its tropical climate. 😂

It rarely gets this hot here. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. Phew🔥

• Like 1

Minus 5 this morning on our decking, and just crawled up to +4 at mid day. Heavy rain/sleet/snow forecast for the coming week.

Winter in Central Vic ! No wonder my mate Norm has moved up to FNQ  !!

Lucky sod !!

Outside it feels like 8.8° Celcius but standing in the wind, feels more like -0.9° Celcius and the wind is gusting at 54km/h. Said to drop below zero until late morning overnight.

• Sad 1

31 on the veranda, and 22 in my new modelling room. That was definitely a good move.

Got an email from my son who works in the large Argos warehouse in Basildon. In his words, they had a hail storm of biblical proportions, and the roof of the building couldn't take it, and he said that water was pouring in in several places. Loads of stock damaged and all staff sent home.

John.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

31 on the veranda, and 22 in my new modelling room. That was definitely a good move.

Got an email from my son who works in the large Argos warehouse in Basildon. In his words, they had a hail storm of biblical proportions, and the roof of the building couldn't take it, and he said that water was pouring in in several places. Loads of stock damaged and all staff sent home.

John.

Yeah one hell of a storm north of the thames, seen pics of ping pong sized balls and a tornado nearly formed and made a ground 

• Like 1