The Weather,

Mick4350

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Water restrictions imposed yesterday, not had any significant rain here since early June.

I'm not aware of any restrictions yet, but I'll keep watering the hydrangeas for now, seeing as the mayor was watering flowers outside of the marie yesterday.

John.

• Haha 1

Yesterday was much more comfortable with about 6/8 cloud ‘til late afternoon and a breeze  and it looks like today is going the same way. Meteo are forecasting full sun and 32C for tomorrow!

Friday was b....y hot! I know, cos I was out there all day, working in it. Yesterday was better. I don't normally work on a Sunday, but I've been out there most of today, dismantling a 10ftX6ft greenhouse, as it's much cooler, and as you say John. back to frying tomorrow. But if the forecast is correct, I won't be stepping outside on Friday.......36 degrees!

Also, it rained last night................not that you'd notice.

John.

• Like 2

Looks like it's just you and me  ( and Vince ) on this at the moment , perhaps we're just sad. Yesterday at 1700 by the stables in semi-shade it reached 42C, but the concrete and stone walls were reflecting quite a lot of heat. Just been down to the field to check that the horses are OK and it's currently 27C but cloudy so feels quite reasonable.

John

• Like 1

Looks like it's just you and me  ( and Vince ) on this at the moment , perhaps we're just sad. Yesterday at 1700 by the stables in semi-shade it reached 42C, but the concrete and stone walls were reflecting quite a lot of heat. Just been down to the field to check that the horses are OK and it's currently 27C but cloudy so feels quite reasonable.

John

37 here yesterday, but supposed to be a mere 34 today. We may even get rain and thunder, not that France Meteo ever get their forecast wrong. Looking forward to Monday and Tuesday when it's going to be a trifling 25-26. Then it's back to living in an oven.

John.

• Like 2

A welcome respite from the heat yesterday, and today and tomorrow. We have a pond at the edge of one of our fields which has been getting increasingly more shallow over the last couple of years due to loss of water through a hole in the retaining wall. As it’s now dried out along the edges I went to look yesterday if the hole was totally exposed with a view to filling it with stones and cementing them in, and it was. I also discovered lots of animal footprints around the edges, including deer, where they had come to drink, so I must put my trail camera up to see what I can catch on film. Rain forecast for this morning. Yippee!

• Like 2

On 03/08/2020 at 06:06, Biggles87 said:

Rain forecast for this morning. Yippee!

Yes, we had the same forecast, but when it arrived, it was just about enough to dampen a handkerchief! On the MeteoFrance site today, it gave the temperature as being 40 degrees, and then they added that little bit that they do, "Feels like 44 degrees" Well they got that right. 39.5 on the veranda. In old money that's 103 degrees!! Sleeping is going to be a problem tonight. I might stay downstairs where it's cooler.

John.

We have a downstairs bedroom which we use in the summer, even in there it gets to 25 sometimes. We bought a mobile air conditioning unit a couple of years ago and it’s useless, lowers the temperature by 2deg after 3 hours of running. We’ve stopped using it and have a pedestal fan instead.

SWMBO was in the pool an hour ago and the water temperature was 29, I think I’ll just stand under the shower. Meteo say it will be down to 26 next Wednesday, yeah right.

John

• Like 1

Yes, it's a bit toasty here. Went to the car, which sits in full sun. Reading was 40c. After a quick trip into town it was still reading 34c. 

All of the back of the house is opened up, I've got 3 fans going, and not a cloud in the sky.

Friday 39.5. Saturday 35, today 34. Good grief, if it carries on at this rate, I'll be putting on thermals by the end of the week.

Gotta love weather forecasting. Today's forecast showed sunshine and cloud and stated that there was to be no rain. 1PM and we are hit with a thunderstorm, the first of the season, followed by 20 minutes of rain. Temperature dropped by 3 degrees, but it's back up to 32 now that the sun is out. If the forecasters have got it anywhere near correct. we are in for a wet four days, staring Wednesday. Yeah, right!

John.

PS. The temperature in my modelling room is 29 degrees. Not conducive to plastic fettling.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Friday 39.5. Saturday 35, today 34. Good grief, if it carries on at this rate, I'll be putting on thermals by the end of the week.

PS. The temperature in my modelling room is 29 degrees. Not conducive to plastic fettling.

We have been missing the heat of late, but the weather is certainly getting warmer everywhere.

• Like 1

Waiting impatiently for the rain to see if my attempted repair to the retaining wall at the edge of a pond has worked, 

John

PS at 0530 this morning the temperature outside was 22deg and 25deg indoors. Just manages to get the indoor temperature down to 23 in time to close doors and windows against the sun!

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

John

PS at 0530 this morning the temperature outside was 22deg and 25deg indoors. Just manages to get the indoor temperature down to 23 in time to close doors and windows against the sun!

'Morning John. IF and it's a big IF, the forecast is correct, we should be experiencing temperatures of 22-24 from Thursday onwards, and the possibility of rain. I hope that they've got it correct.

John.

• Like 1

Gotta love forecast, Pt. 2. Yesterday's forecast was for overcast skies, giving way to sunshine. The reality? 9am we got the first rumbles of thunder, and from then on, we had a humdinger of a storm which was overhead at one point. It lasted until 12.15 and was accompanied by some heavy rain for about an hour. I think that I will go back to the piece of seaweed and sticking my hand out of the window to see if it gets wet! 

John.

• Haha 2

Amazing thunderstorms in eastern Scotland overnight. Glad I'm not planning to go anywhere today since there is extensive flooding and several main roads are closed including the A9 south of Perth. The railway network has effectively ceased to function due to a combination of flooding and lightning strikes on signalling equipment. Several flights were diverted from Edinburgh airport. I don't know where they went but if it was Glasgow there would have been serious problems getting the pax back to Edinburgh since the M8 between the cities was also closed. I don't remember anything quite like it in my life.

Dave G

With the heavy humidity (typically 60-90%) the heat indices have been hovering between 32.2 to 37,7 degrees of your Celsius scale. Almost daily I can see huge heavy clouds build up over Chesapeake Bay, which is approximately 20 miles east of me. Once in a while we'll get a short storm blow through, which is followed by even more humidity.

This is pretty typical summertime weather for the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. It feels like pea soup outside. Why did I ever leave the desert?