The Weather,

Mick4350

14 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

John, @Biggles87 and @Bullbasket, keep yer 'eads down Gents. Remember, things can be replaced....YOU can't!

Here's hoping that your forecasts on your side of La Manche are as inaccurate as ours this side of the Channel, and if I may?

Wishing you and your nearest and dearest a Wonderful, Peaceful and plastic! Christmas and a suitably liquid (YOUR choice!) New Year.

Paul

'Morning Paul. It was a bit rough at one point, but not as bad as it could have been, and thankfully, no more damage. Meteo France can get it spectacularly wrong sometimes. We've had a forecast in the past showing 100% chance of thunderstorms. The result? Nothing!

Thank you for the seasonal greetings. The same to you and yours. I'll raise a glass of Glayva to you.

John.

Ah, me Dad's (bless him) favorite, mind you as me Mother used to say, "half a pint and a sniff of the barmaids apron and he'd be anybodies!"

So, to your good self I'll say 'sunnd agus deagh shlàinte'

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I’ve been thinking a lot about our Australian friends over the last few days

John

Over 16 million acres has burned to ash. Not an easy start to the new year !

• Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it just gets better and better. After loosing a wall and a swimming pool to the weather in November, last night at around 18.45, we were hit by a tornado. I kid you not. We were already on yellow alert for high winds gusting up to 70km, but this was something else. For one brief moment lasting approximately 20-30 seconds, hell reigned. I've never experienced anything like it before. This morning I went to check on the damage. A load more of the barn roof has gone, the two heavy garage doors were blown open, even though they were bolted top and bottom, and the gates were blown outwards into the road.  I had a heavy gauge bungee strap around them and the hooks on each end had been straightened out. Every roof has had tiles dislodged or blown off and some landed on the bonnet of my old Mondeo (which is only insured 3rd party F&F). The caravan has a small dink in it also. Over the road, the Mairie had the rood of one building completely ripped off, and four heavy benches were picked up and tossed down as though they were paper. All in all, an eventful night, and not one that I ever want to repeat.

John.

• Sad 10

On 1/5/2020 at 7:05 PM, Mick4350 said:

Over 16 million acres has burned to ash. Not an easy start to the new year !

Just an update the fires have now burnt through 46 million acres and is to have released about 337 million short tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 4:36 PM, Biggles87 said:

I’ve been thinking a lot about our Australian friends over the last few days.I hope you’re all as safe as possible in the present horrendous conditions.

Yes, first it were the bushfires, now it's flooding rains down the eastern coast of Australia and also a cyclone making its way though Western Australia.

Edited by Mick4350
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Will storm Dennis be followed in a few weeks by storm Gnasher ?

And all the Bash Street Kids after that. 

and a frighteningly high percentage of members will know what we are talking about :pipe:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, Ratch said:

After storms Ebenezer and Frankenstein 😱

No, we had storm Ebeneezer  in 1992. It was "Naughty, naughty, very naughty"     :)

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

No, we had storm Ebeneezer  in 1992. It was "Naughty, naughty, very naughty"     :)

"...Laaarrrveeely……!"

It's pretty windy and rainy here in Shropshire and we had a power cut on Monday night but it's still not quite the same scale as the cyclone that lifted the roof off our house when I lived in Perth (Australia) as a kid. But I've plenty of beer in the fridge and food (crisps and cakes) in the cupboard just in case! :D

• Like 2

Wind is getting up here around Dublin bay but no more yet than a windy day.  I’m going into town later for the IPMS meeting, then on to Rugby - could be interesting in the high winds and the forecast rain.    @noelh how are you doing on the west coast there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Wind is getting up here around Dublin bay but no more yet than a windy day.  I’m going into town later for the IPMS meeting, then on to Rugby - could be interesting in the high winds and the forecast rain.    @noelh how are you doing on the west coast there?

Same really. A bit gusty and rainy. Typical west of Ireland day. However we're due to get hammered by the wind tomorrow as Dennis gets close in. I might head to the now infamous Salthill car park to watch the cars float past. 

From the weather radar it seems Britain is getting the worst of the rain today. We've dodged that bullet. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, noelh said:

Same really. A bit gusty and rainy. Typical west of Ireland day. However we're due to get hammered by the wind tomorrow as Dennis gets close in. I might head to the now infamous Salthill car park to watch the cars float past. 

From the weather radar it seems Britain is getting the worst of the rain today. We've dodged that bullet. 

Yup, I was at the rugby 8n the RDS this afternoon, damp but not too bad, full 80 played - bonus point win...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, noelh said:

You'd think people would have twigged by now that they need to avoid that car park whenever the weather is any way bad, but no.

I stepped out the door about 5pm, and had to head straight back in, drowned like a rat, having gone less than 100 yards. It was OK when I stepped outside the door, it wasn't 10 seconds later.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, klr said:

You'd think people would have twigged by now that they need to avoid that car park whenever the weather is any way bad, but no.

I stepped out the door about 5pm, and had to head straight back in, drowned like a rat, having gone less than 100 yards. It was OK when I stepped outside the door, it wasn't 10 seconds later.

Happened to me too. Blissfully went to collect kids from school. Boom! Heavens opened. It was biblical. I note a pool of water by my garage I've never seen before. 

Tomorrow they promise more. 

It's almost fun to live in a coastal area. As I sit here now there's a delicious howl down my  chimney. 

The storm it cometh. 

• Like 1

I seem to have missed this storm Dennis and the last one too in my wee secluded glen. OK we had a wee bit of rain today (stopped around five or so and was never really that heavy) and the wind was no more than a light breeze. Out at 11pm with the dogs and it was a balmy evening where I didn't really need my jacket. The worst of the last one was that it blew over an empty wheelie bin so not exactly galeforce.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, noelh said:

Typical west of Ireland day ? Really ?

I get up there 3 times in the '90, and I just had 2 days of "Moisture" over arond 23 days

They tried to kidnap me...:evil_laugh:

I hope that you all guys are safe with all these successive storms...

Honest, I grew bored by these tempest, Dennis is the fourth one since december.

Working on the roadside under these gales is hazardous... I grew to old for this dumb...

I finish my workday right now, heading for CC castle... 

Finger crossed for my old (1946) bent and battered roof

Dennis will hit between 1600 and 2000.... Let's see...

In Belgium, the forecast is right only when the news are bad...:rofl2:

Best wishes to you all...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

The wind has dropped here, its just the rain now.

Thanks to Dennis my garden has two new features - an indoor swimming pool and a lake.  OK technically the indoor swimming pool is the greenhouse  which is flooded but I'm trying to put a positive spin on things.

• Haha 3

EDIT

what I said:-
Dennis giving us a miss but did blast Hawick which is a forty five minute drive away. 
Weather can be highly localised. 

Dennis has decided to blow a gale in the last hour and has just removed at least one tree from the wood across the way

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JohnT said:

I always wanted to be a meteorologist 

imagine having the ability just to look at a girl and tell weather 

And that will be the only time in wich "moisture" would be a good new...

Well, Dennis has spared my old roof... and finally has done far less mess than Ciara...

17 hours ago, Wez said:

The wind has dropped here, its just the rain now.

Thanks to Dennis my garden has two new features - an indoor swimming pool and a lake.  OK technically the indoor swimming pool is the greenhouse  which is flooded but I'm trying to put a positive spin on things.

Hello Wez,

thanks that your house has not been hit !

are going to start sowing rice ?

More seriously, I hope that it's not too much mess in your greenhouse.

With Ciara, I got rain in my attic, wind was so strong that rain get up and dropped in between the tiles...

It was such a pain to the A... to see my shelf receiving a shower...

Luckily, my finished models are boxed and in an old wardrobe, so no mess on there.

And the transfer sheets are not in the boxes... So !!

Well friends ! I just hope that it's over for this winter...

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1