The Weather,

Mick4350

24 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Still hovering around 30 here but getting cooler in the mornings. One of our neighbouring Departements has announced a severe water shortage and introduced restrictions.

Same here John. Trouble is, the pool needs topping up, so that will have to be done clandestinely after dark:wicked:.

Arrived back home on Thursday after three weeks away, expecting to see the grass as high as an elephants eye, but no, it wasn't. Because of the lack of rain, it hadn't grown at all......... but the dandelions had! About 18 inches high. Oh, and so had the weeds.

John.

Here in the Scottish Borders we have had sun with heavy showers for a couple of weeks. Biggest clouds I have ever seen as a result. That’s of flies not water vapour. Horses are in torment even with fly covers and hoods on and going outside to enjoy the sun is unpleasant. Am trying to tell Mrs T that it’s good modelling weather but she keeps pointing to the grass growth rate 

I feel for your horses, ours go out at first light and come in again at about 1330, they are usually at the gate waiting.

Following on from t’other John, we are on an amber warning for the water which means that we’re allowed limited garden watering and pool filling, but I can see it changing to red soon if we don’t get some rain.

What gets me though is even though there is a water restriction in place, the farmers are watering the maize crop all day long in the heat of the day. You'd think that common sense would at least have them do it at night when it's cooler an there's less evaporation.

John.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Now I don't mind a joke, but beggar a pantomime!! Struggled to sleep last night as the indoor temp dropped no lower than 27c. Had an early doctors appointment at 07.15 and it was sublime out there, a mere 23c. But now (midday), it's 38c and rising. Pool temp is around 25c so no guesses as to where I shall be this afternoon. That's if I haven't melted in the meantime.

Oh, and the forecast says storms at the weekend. Yeah, like that's going to happen!

John.

• Haha 2

My daughter lives in Brighton, it's the University of Sussex summer graduation week this week, recalling her graduation last year which had similar weather she asked...

"...what is it about grad week, where everyone is wearing heavy gowns and suits that turns Brighton in to Satan's armpit?"

I can't help but thinking weather forecasts would be more fun if they had descriptions as well as the temperatures, Satan's armpit sounds quite hot!

Edited by Wez
  • Haha 3

It hit 40c yesterday and is expected to around 38c today. Tomorrow, more of the same, but Friday forecast is 24c and Saturday 21c. Maybe we will get the rain after all. Oh! Pleeeeze!

John.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Only 28o in Barnsley today, but forecast 33o tomorrow.  Too much for me, it just makes me feel tired all the time.  Hot weather and old age not a good combination :(

Edited by 593jones

Heatwave, schmeatwave. Here in the west of Ireland they usually pass us by and this one has. Not that it's cold, it's 18deg outside right now. Not a bad night time temperature but not much lower than the 21deg it was earlier and it's cloudy with rain threatened. 

We had warmer weather last week. 

Edited by noelh

Yesterday it read 38c in my car. Today was hotter. Been sitting here with 3 fans on full bore to stay cool, with all the upstairs windows wide open and the back door. Tomorrow threatens to be worse.

About 17* or 18* where I am. No rain, not even a cloud.

My car outside temp gauge was showing 40* today. . . . . . . . as it has for the last two weeks, its broken

On 14/07/2019 at 14:17, Bullbasket said:

What gets me though is even though there is a water restriction in place, the farmers are watering the maize crop all day long in the heat of the day. You'd think that common sense would at least have them do it at night when it's cooler an there's less evaporation.

Not necessarily; some crops need moisture on their leaves during the heat to stop them losing too much water up through their root system. Kinda hard to explain. Water to the roots helps the fruit/grain develop, but if that evaporates off through the leaves during the day the fruit/grain won't develop, so water has to be applied during the heat of the day to keep the plants cool and for that water to evaporate off.

On 23/07/2019 at 16:23, Mike said:

It's a bit muggy in HQ too. 31oc at the moment.

31 degrees? Luxury! (said with a Yorkshire accent). I dream of it being 31 degrees.

38c yesterday and more of the same today. One thing that I've found in this current heatwave is that my appetite has vanished. The only thing that has appealed is salad. And also, anyone of a similar age will know what I'm talking about when I say that a middle of the night visit to the loo happens often, yet last night I drank two large glasses of Florida orange (line cordial, lemonade, orange juice and ice), and it had no effect whatsoever.

John. 

• Like 4

We were forecast a drop in temperature of more than 10deg today, huh! To be fair it was only 22C at 0600 rather than 24C at the same time yesterday. There are quite a few storms on the weather app but nothing coming our way at the moment.

Edit:

The Meteo site appears to have crashed, showing only warnings, no individual forecasts. Must be the heat!

• Like 1

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! It's pi raining, and it has been for most of the night. We were woken up at 02.30 for the first storm, and then 0400 and then another at 06.30 when I gave up on getting any more sleep (to add to the three hours that I'd had). Thunder is crashing around at the moment but it's a few miles away.

John, you're right. Meteo France does seem to be playing up. I can get it on Chrome but not on Internet Explorer. All they're showing on IE though is the vigilance pages.

At least I won't be watering the plants today.

John.

• Like 1