The Weather,

Mick4350

It's forgotten how to rain in Central Vic........

Far worse elsewhere - at least it's not our livelihood that's being starved, fried, frosted or otherwise being rendered useless for another season !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Do you think we get more weather, or less these days?

I think that we get 24 hours worth of it......every day.

Forecast for tomorrow is nigh on rain all day. Yeah, right! I'll believe it when it happens. It'll be fascinating to watch the rain drops bring up little dust clouds as each one comes down on what's left of the grass.

John.

Siting here at the computer with no radio or telly going and just listening to the rain outside.

Time to listen to the album Angel from the West Window, by TD instead.

Michael

Edited by Mick4350

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Do you think we get more weather, or less these days? :hmmm:

Who knows? Memory is a funny thing (well mine is anyway). When I were a lad, Summer was made entirely of sun, Winter of snow and family holidays of rain.

It appears that drizzle was introduced to life on the day I started work and it started to be phased out on the day I retired. Don't know if it's connected?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Siting here at the computer with no radio or telly going and just listening to the rain outside.

Time to listen to the album Angel from the West Window, by TD instead.

Michael

Good choice.

It's bucketing down. A fact I was thrilled to discover at 5am after the dog dragged me downstairs before deciding it DIDN'T want to go out after all....

Edited by IanHx
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2018 at 3:42 AM, Scimitar said:

5 minutes ago it was pouring with rain and 5 minutes before that it was sunny with no wind. I wish it would make up its mind!

That would be "climate change" in action.:analintruder:

University and government "researchers" everywhere depend on it to justify their livelihood and another round of funding.

• Haha 4

We'll swap you some sunshine for some of your rain, we've had about 5mm since May. Meteo promised a day of rain today, the local farmers were getting quite exited about it yesterday, instead we had moderate rain at 0630, by 0830 it was down to fine drizzle and by 1030 the sun was breaking through!

21 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Something went wrong up here today as we had a glorious day. The techies have fixed it though and it looks like back to excessive precipitation (and then some) for the next two days.

Good luck with the precipitation. Back in the 1970s I lived in Oban for just under a year and one of my abiding memories is that it rained non stop for six months.  I’ll never forget the phenomenon of horizontal rain which seems to be peculiar to the Scottish west coast. My digs were about fifteen minutes from Oban station and on one occasion despite wearing normal “waterproof” clothing I got so wet on my walk from the train that I was able to wring water out of my vest. The only time I’ve experienced anything similar was in a tropical downpour in Macau.

28 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I was there for 9 years before escaping being posted.

Why I moved to the wet west from the dry northeast I still wonder.

I met my wife in Oban and we still have friends we visit.  I'm fond of Oban but I wouldn't swap it for Perthshire which is usually quite a bit drier!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

The only time I’ve experienced anything similar was in a tropical downpour in Macau.

We British love to moan about the rain in the UK, but even the heaviest downpour is nothing compared to the monsoon rain. It was just like standing underneath a waterfall, You couldn't fail to get wet, no matter what protective clothing that you wore. We (the British Army), didn't even go up country on exercise during the monsoon season for obvious reasons. We had better things to do at that time of year, such as the Bulls Annual Admin Inspection and parade.

John.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 7:29 AM, hairystick said:

And the weirdos in Queensland government refuse to "do" daylight savings time, so that lovely time of the day gets wasted. Lovely and cool, nobody around and the place all to oneself.

Then at 5.30pm it goes dark... instantly. 

Very odd.

Try living in the tropics with summer sunrise times. Daylight saving doesn't work up here, it's been tried. The sunrise is the opposite of sunset - dark, then BAM, light. None of that lazy high latitude slowly increasing light and a long twilight. Every half-decade or so, some knob in 'The Great South East' <cough> (a real sore point with real Queenslanders) floats the whole idea again and we have to have yet another public debate about it, when the people who want it (ie southern monkeys) don't have to live with the consequences.

Besides, that extra hour of sun fades the curtains and upsets the chooks.

(Sorry for the semi-rant, it really is a sore point with North Queenslanders. Along with many other things caused by having a state capital at the bottom end of the state. Yes, I meant bottom that way.)

20 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

We British love to moan about the rain in the UK, but even the heaviest downpour is nothing compared to the monsoon rain. 

John.

Agreed...

Worked in Zambia for 2 years, average rainfall for the area of the Copperbelt (Solwezi) I was in was 1200+mm!, and it all falls in basically 2 months :) 

Exciting when you wake up in the morning and the water is half way up the side of your Pick Up :) 

• Like 2