The Weather,

Mick4350

On 2/25/2019 at 11:09 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

One can only hope, and do away with those silly Froggie measurements, that they got wrong. :giggle:

Not half as silly as a Fahrenheit scale that places freezing at 32 degrees! 32? Why not 30 or 35?. Besides Celsius was Swedish not French.

The question is when is the USA going to join the rest of world and use Celsius?🤔

As for the weather, I noted the outside air temperature gauge in the car was showing 20deg C. It was a nice sunny day too. A perfectly respectable summer temperature around here. But 'here' is the West of Ireland in February. There were people actually sunbathing in the parks wearing shorts and t shirts. 

If this is global warming bring it on.

• Like 1

Saw my first bumble bee of the year today when I was out with the dog.  Didn't appear to be having any luck finding flowers, but was certainly giving it a shot!  Smashing weather!

Edited by 593jones

Same here. Saw a bumble bee plop down onto the roof of the car ahead of me. It was red the car. I mean. I think it thought it was a flower. The Daffodils are out in force though. Other flowers have begun to appear in my garden too.

I doubt if the warm conditions will last though.

Edited by noelh

The weather here in Colorado's been chilly and snowy, especially in the mountains, where snow's been around .5 to .75 meters.  We've also had avalanches that have closed highways in the mountains, including Interstate 70.  At least I haven't heard that avalanches have cut off Silverton, Colorado from the rest of the state this winter.  It's happened in winters past.  However, there's only one highway, a two-lane one, through the mountains and into and out of the town.

And in eastern North Dakota and northern Minnesota, overnight lows were -35 to -45 C (-30 to -50 F) in January and last month.  They have recovered somewhat, but readings are still -18C or colder yet at night.  Continental Arctic air from Siberia will do that...

We do use Celsius over here, but not for general public use.  Science, aviation, and other fields do use Celsius. Our surface observations that we send out to the world (METARs) have temps in Celsius.  And once you get off the surface, meteorologists here look at Celsius.

I doubt we'll use Celsius for the general public for a long time yet.  It's too entrenched here.

Tom in Colorado (where it's currently -19C)

I forgot to mention that the snow depth in northern Minnesota and North Dakota is running 35-75 centimeters...

The Sierra Nevada mountains in California and around Lake Tahoe have had meters of heavy and very wet snow this winter, as they usually do, and more storms are on the way.  The large reservoirs in the Southwest and California desperately need refilling and this winter should certainly help.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

flipping.  literally.  blame storm whatsitsnotis..................

bang goes doing anything more and the Wendy house that i'm making for my sister..............

Struggled to reach 19 degree's today with a minimum of 17 degree's C and had drizzly rain all day ( 8mm in my gauge ).

thanks to Cyclone Trevor.

Still no bloody rain down here, waiting for the autumn break [last years...!].

24c today, cloudless sky and no wind; ditto for tomorrow and 27 !

May sound sacrilegious but an overcast day, preferably accompanied by heavy rain, would be a welcome novelty.

Will be pleased to see some rain. Although it will make the grass grow, at least I'll have an excuse for not going out and cutting it. "Yes dear, I know that it needs cutting, but it's raining". Must remember to go out and turn off that sprinkler before she sees it.:whistle:

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ah the hint of Winter as last night it dropped below 10 degree's C and a maximum of 24 today. And three lawns to mow this afternoon.

We actually only reached twenty one degree's C {edit}

Edited by Mick4350
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John_W said:

Just remember, no matter how much it rains, German weather is wetter.

😎

All I'll say is your in the WRONG area of Germany! Daughter did the Hannover half marathon today, weather was fine, clear and it was 19C......

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, John_W said:

Just remember, no matter how much it rains, German weather is wetter.

😎

And their kids are always kinder ;)

Meanwhile summer is coming back to DC. It gets hot and humid a little earlier each year. :(

• Haha 3