The Weather,

Mick4350

There have been some pretty large fires here in France recently, and we have been lucky here so far ( touching wood as I write this ) that the nearest has been about 200km away. We are expecting another few days of temperatures in the high 30s C ( 95-100F ) next week with no sign of rain. The local farmers have been feeding hay in the fields for a couple of weeks now. Roll on autumn.

John. 🇺🇦

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Outside temperature has been in the 22* - 24* range this last week or more. About 5* to 6* above normal

That's bad enough but my flat faces south and has a very large window so its been like being in a garden green house. I've no idea what the actual temperature is cos my dopey wee thermometer is stuck at 21* !

My modelling desks are next to the window. Its just been too uncomfortable to get any modelling done. It doesn't get and cooler until about 04.00, then the sun is up at 05.55 and even though the sun is not directly on my flat the heat and light is reflected off the flats opposite mine so my flat starts to heat up again from early morning

I'm not saying it's hot here in Broadstairs but I now know what "Boil in the bag" rice feels like.

:hypnotised:

Dick

• Haha 3

Woke up at 0540 this morning to the sound of rain, yippee!

More to come during the week according to Meteo so hopefully in a few days time some of it will actually start to soak in to the ground. The daily temperatures for the same period are forecast between 21 and 26, rather than the high 30s we’ve been getting recently. Bliss.

John

It's finally arrived over my area west sussex this morning. All this wet stuff. Its light but feels like a deluge after this drought. Makes me feel like dancing  in the rain naked its so refreshing!( Not really...too many nosey neighbours) Might finally be cool enough to pop back into my shed and carry on with some projects. 

I'm intrigued by all the UK press coverage of 'empty' resevoirs with reports such as "Ladybower Reservoir was at 54.5% of its capacity as of 8 August".  The dimwitted hacks don't seem to have graspsed that a resevoir that was much fuller after one of the driest summers in nearly 100 years, would have been oversized, a waste of money and an unnecssarly large impact on the environment.

Edited by 3DStewart
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

We had another  ' El Alamain barrage ' type electrical storm last night at 2100 when I went to check on the horses. It spread from the SW all the way around to the NE of us but the sky was clear and stars twinkling on the other side, bizarre! We had a proper storm about an hour later with about 1mm of rain, ah well, every little helps I suppose but the ground here is still very dry.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

It’s getting quite autumnal here now, the last couple of mornings down to 09C. Changed to thicker fleece!

Winter drawer's on John. Or is it winter drawers on?

For the first time in many weeks, I slept last night without a fan blowing on me. Nice and comfortable.

John.

• Haha 1

If it makes you lot feel better: We're coming into spring here after an extremely wet winter. The met for tomorrow says it will be a max of 15degC - at last we're getting temperatures regularly above about 5degC, which we haven't seen since about March.

Hopefully it won't rain - I've got loads to do outside with jobs that have built up simply because it's been too wet to get out to do them. Apart from keeping about a hectare of what was formerly a cow paddock mowed (a weekly job from now until next May) I've got 4 cubic metres of top dressing to spread. It's soaked, which makes it twice the weight, as my back is already well aware. And just to keep us cheerful, the met boys and girls tell us that this spring and summer will be another La Nina - the third in a row! Eastern Australia will break more records for rainfall. I'm on a hillside, which means the drainage is reasonable, but it's seriously soggy along the flats. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Storm Ciaran payed us a visit last night, actually it passed west of us travelling north along the coast, so we just caught the edge of it. The forecast predicted heavy rain with wind gusting to between 90 and 110kph but is was more like a steady 40-50 kph with no gusts so we got away lightly. The worst hit places overnight seem to have been the Channel Islands ( hope you’re OK @Vince1159 ) and the West Country.

Stay safe everyone.

John

PS: SWMBO has just shown me a clip of some idiot standing on a sea wall and being swept off her feet by a large wave!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Biggles,yes everything's ok a rough night though,wind gusts in the mid 90's and quite a lot of trees down etc but Jersey got it worse than here with a gust recorded at 104 mph and a lot more buildings damaged including the hospital roof and people evacuated from their homes...

www.guernseypress.com

if you scroll down to the very bottom there's a link to the Jersey Evening Press...

Edited by Vince1159

Heavyish rain around Leeds and Wakefield. We cancelled the walk today as only five people showed up including me as walk leader, the chair of our walking group and the back marker. Really wet and some of route looked like flooding in addition to the parts that had flooded. When we had the heavy rain a couple of weeks ago, my son ended up doing a weekend on call as his company have a contract with the EA. As it is the south, the weather will get more media coverage, but rough on everyone affected. 

45 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

Here in the mountains of western North Carolina,it was 82 on sunday,last night it was 25,by the weekend it will be 70 again,go figure

You can go off people very rapidly :bleh: :D

• Haha 1

It's raining again.  Stand by for floods thanks to the lack of maintenance of the nation's drainage system again :shrug: You'd have thought that last week's floods would have motivated them to go on a rampage clearing blocked grids, drainage ditches on public land etc., but no :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Here in rural France all the roads have ditches on each side which are cleared a couple of times a year, ( ours were done last month ) but when we lived in the UK they were only done if they flooded. A few years ago the local council  in the area where we kept our horse decided to tidy up the hedgerows which included cutting down some small trees and left most of the detritus lying in the ditch. Guess what happened after a couple of days of heavy rain the next autumn?

John

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

SWMBO has just shown me a clip of some idiot standing on a sea wall and being swept off her feet by a large wave!

I believe it's known as natural selection.

• Haha 2