The Weather,

Mick4350

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I had a lovely day travelling around East Anglia in air conditioned trains. Ice cream in sunny Sheringham. Only thing in the sky, apart from the sun was a KC-135 over Ely inbound the 'Hall.

Just Sheringham or did you go for the classic Sheringham/Cromer double ?

Forecast 28°C today and full sun. It is also the day I am a walk leader for the group I am a member of for the first time. Even with a 10.30 start it is going to be hot. My main concern is that most of the group are older than I am, some by quite a few years. I think the walk will be shortened. 

• Like 2

Got back from walk, I counted them all out and I counted them all back. But it was hot, the oldest guy on the walk (86) said how much he had enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 6:37 PM, Vince1159 said:

To me an aircon unit isn't worth the money it costs to run,if your're home all day a couple of cold showers are a lot more refreshing....

Doesn't help at night when you're trying to sleep though.

I don't mind hot days, it's the muggy nights which go with them (at least in Britain) I don't like.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2021 at 11:53 PM, noelh said:

I just checked the temperature and it's a remarkable 25°c inside the house and 21°c out in the garden. Remarkable you might ask? But check out the time, it's nearly midnight as I post this and I live on the west coast of Ireland. Not an area noted for its tropical climate. 😂

It rarely gets this hot here. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. Phew🔥

Last weekend - at the start of the heatwave - I lost 2.5 kg in 3 days, and there isn't much of me to lose*! One morning, I went down to my local supermarket, and bought 8 litres of liquids to keep me going: Flavoured mineral water, plain mineral water, fruit concentrate and fruit juice, And 2 punnets of oranges. That showed exactly where my priorities were nutrition-wise for the last 10 days. I was only working mornings all that time, although in reality I left it to the late evenings to do some of the work, as it was just too hot earlier in the day (and the beaches just too near :).

*I got well and truly into shape during the first months of the pandemic, not that I've ever been even remotely overweight. As a bizarre consequence, I now find it easier to buy jeans. I've dropped from a 28-inch waist "straight" fit, which is impossible to find, to a 28-inch "slim" fit, which is readily available.

• Like 1

Forecast last night was for heavy showers over this way by lunchtime.

Grass was needing cut or maybe more the weeds/native wild flowers (depending on point of view) growing through it were needing cut but been putting it off because getting rid of them and cutting the actual green stuff will probably scorch the grass and dry out the moss everywhere else so with wet weather guaranteed got it done late morning.     

Very sunny ,hot, humid and generally pretty sticky but no rain came , checked lunchtime weather forecast and definitely very intense rain showers by late afternoon on the map.

Non-appearance but tea-time forecast had thunderstorms overnight later changed mid-evening to just maybe being outside the area with the weather warning but Wednesday will be awful everywhere all day.

Not holding my breath and it can just look burned until Winter , so much for the British Summer !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just come in from checking the horses for the night and it’s 27C and 80% humidity out there. We have a portable air con unit in the bedroom but it takes about 3 hours to reduce the temperature by 1 degree so not worth the effort really. Cold shower time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Just come in from checking the horses for the night and it’s 27C and 80% humidity out there. We have a portable air con unit in the bedroom but it takes about 3 hours to reduce the temperature by 1 degree so not worth the effort really. Cold shower time.

Much the same here John. Went to bed last night, thinking that I would struggle to sleep in the heat, but with just one sheet over me and a fan going, I slept for seven hours Bliss! Forecast says that it will reach 33 here today. Working outside is cancelled. Time to head for the cool of the modelling room.

John.

• Like 5

We are having average weather at the moment from about 10° overnight to about 20° during the daytime, with an occasional shower of rain on some days. Comfortable at present.

This time last year we were hitting 40 degrees on occasion. Glad to say that we are basking in the mid 20's now, and the forecast for the next fortnight is more of the same. Bliss!

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After three very hot days with temperatures in the mid to high 30s, Meteo France are now issuing dire warnings of severe storms and heavy rain for the next couple of days with risk of flooding. I don’t think the last will apply to us as we live near the top of a hill!

On verra, as they say in these parts.

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

After three very hot days with temperatures in the mid to high 30s, Meteo France are now issuing dire warnings of severe storms and heavy rain for the next couple of days with risk of flooding. I don’t think the last will apply to us as we live near the top of a hill!

On top of a hill? Then you only have to worry if you see animals walking past 2 by 2.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Yes we will John. Meteo France not noted for it's 100% accuracy. It's been lovely and cool here for the last couple of days, much the same as where you are. But prior to that it was very warm, or as the Japanese say Breedin 'ot!

John.

• Haha 2