The Weather,

Mick4350

• 1 month later...

Well it's been raining for the last couple of days and have had about 60mm rainfall so far and it appears to be this way for the next week or so. I'm starting to run out of clean shirts as I don't have a clothes dryer in my home.

• Sad 1

Lucky sod !! We got 8mm last week and that's the first since early Feb, with a cold southerly to dry it all up.

Certainly been a strange summer, a week or so of temps in the high 30's at New Year and high teens to mid-20's ever since. At least we've been fire free this year.

La Nina dumped all the rain we were expecting up your way @Mick4350 and Northern NSW, oh, and Melbourne copped a bit. Green as...er...grass south of the Divide and bone ruddy dry on our side.

T'ain't fair !!

2 hours ago, roginoz said:

Lucky sod !! We got 8mm last week and that's the first since early Feb, with a cold southerly to dry it all up.

Certainly been a strange summer, a week or so of temps in the high 30's at New Year and high teens to mid-20's ever since. At least we've been fire free this year.

La Nina dumped all the rain we were expecting up your way @Mick4350 and Northern NSW, oh, and Melbourne copped a bit. Green as...er...grass south of the Divide and bone ruddy dry on our side.

T'ain't fair !!

We haven't have much rain this summer here on the Darling Downs as the rain has been quite patchy and not very widespread. Our districts dam levels are sitting at 31% and hopefully in the next couple of weeks, we will get a top up. It's a lot better than last year when the really hot weather ( 35 degrees + ) was occurring  last Christmas all over Australia as it was simply too hot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a week in which the temperatures rose into the mid 20s, we have a strong NE wind this morning and the current temperature is 04C with a wind chill of 05. Meteo were forecasting snow for next Tuesday and Wednesday but that’s gone now, so it’ll probably happen. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Meteo were forecasting snow for next Tuesday and Wednesday but that’s gone now, so it’ll probably happen. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that. Because 'er indoors didn't see it before it disappeared from the site, she didn't believe it. I said to her, "just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean that it wasn't there". That went down well. Still, at least I've had a quite day since.:whistle:

John.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

It's raining here.

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

It's snowing here.

Meet you half way ....it's sleeting here in Broadstairs.            2.5 degrees.  Not even enough for a trio.  When will I see it again??

Update.    It's stopped sleeting.  Just blooming cold.

Dick

• Like 1

Bright sunshine and blue skys up my way. Had a bit of sleet early on this morning. Flippin' cold though with quite a strong NE wind blowing through.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

It snowed this morning - but then the skies cleared & there hasn't been a cloud in the sky.  I spotted a couple of Cargolux 747's - on their way from Huntsville & Calgary - to Luxembourg - funnily enough.

I also spied a Bluebird Nordic 737 on it's way from East Midlands to Reykjavik - a lovely day for spotting 'fly overs'. 

• Like 2

It's just been snowing here on the sunshine south coast!

OK, so it's a very, very fine drizzle that's turned to snow and if scraped up across the whole of the local area would amount to a snowman the size of a thimble but that's not the point!  It shouldn't be snowing!  I've endured winter, I was looking forward to spring and summer to lift my spirits and now the weather does this!  It's more like January than April and it looks like it's going to be chilly for at least a week too - thanks a bloody lot!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Warming up here again despite the NE wind. Half an hour ago it was 24C in the shade and 32C in the sun. Every year when it starts heating up I think OMG how will I cope when it gets really hot, but by then I've usually acclimatised and hide from the sun in the afternoons anyway.

• Like 3

On 02/02/2021 at 17:14, Rick Brown said:

I live in Upton-upon-Severn.

Nuff said...

Rick.

I used to live in Upton on Severn, back in '73/74! (Though don't remember where, I rented for about 6 months)

I moved up to Kidderminster when my wife and I got serious.

small world, eh?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

Death Valley sweated through a high of 54° Celcius ( 129° Fahrenheit ).

It was being said that it was the highest temperature ever recorded on earth, but according to Wikipedia, the highest temperature was recorded in 1913 in Death Valley as 134f. The bit that got me though was that the night time temperature didn't drop below 42c. I bet that was fun, trying to sleep in that! 

John.

We’ve been here 16 years and we’ve never seen a ‘ summer ‘ like this one. I don’t think we’ve had more than 3 consecutive dry days since May, the humidity in my ‘man cave’ has not been below 70% for ages and at the moment is 84%! We had a sunny day on Sunday and the temperature reached 30degC, then yesterday it rained most of the day and the temperature reached 18C.

Today we have had torrential rain since 1030 and the temperature staggered up to 16C and we lit our wood burner at midday.

Crazy.

John

• Like 1

And as soon as the rain stops, and the sun comes out and it warms up, those pesky tiny, tiny insects swarm. I don't know what they're called, but they are about 1mm in length and crawl through your hair (OK, in my case, make that singular). They irritate the hell our of me. Anyone any idea what they are? We always used to refer to them as storm flies.

John.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

And as soon as the rain stops, and the sun comes out and it warms up, those pesky tiny, tiny insects swarm. I don't know what they're called, but they are about 1mm in length and crawl through your hair (OK, in my case, make that singular). They irritate the hell our of me. Anyone any idea what they are? We always used to refer to them as storm flies.

John.

Thrips, or Thunder Flies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Thrips, or Thunder Flies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

That's the little baaaaalambs!! You feel cooty, as my ol' Mum used to say. Forever scratching your head. I've even had them walking across the lens of my glasses.

John.