The Weather,

Mick4350

21 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Typical west of Ireland day ? Really ?

I get up there 3 times in the '90, and I just had 2 days of "Moisture" over arond 23 days

They tried to kidnap me...:evil_laugh:

I hope that you all guys are safe with all these successive storms...

Honest, I grew bored by these tempest, Dennis is the fourth one since december.

Working on the roadside under these gales is hazardous... I grew to old for this dumb...

I finish my workday right now, heading for CC castle... 

Finger crossed for my old (1946) bent and battered roof

Dennis will hit between 1600 and 2000.... Let's see...

In Belgium, the forecast is right only when the news are bad...:rofl2:

Best wishes to you all...

Sincerely.

CC

Yes, there are times when there is little rain, and then it's very nice here 🙂

But other times ... here is Salthill in Galway, last Saturday morning. This was quite tame - it got much worse over the weekend. I struggled to walk into the wind yesterday afternoon.

RZT3VYC.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, klr said:

But other times ... here is Salthill in Galway, last Saturday morning. This was quite tame - it got much worse over the weekend. I struggled to walk into the wind yesterday afternoon.

RZT3VYC.jpg

I remember once in 1995 if my memory did'nt fail too much, I spent 12 days around Cork and Galway...

I came back home with sun burns.. I did'nt tan, I burn...:rofl2:

When friends asked where I'm coming from, I say Ireland and nobody believed me...

I really enjoyed the Burren

Hope that everything went well for you

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

I remember once in 1995 if my memory did'nt fail too much, I spent 12 days around Cork and Galway...

I came back home with sun burns.. I did'nt tan, I burn...:rofl2:

When friends asked where I'm coming from, I say Ireland and nobody believed me...

I really enjoyed the Burren

Hope that everything went well for you

Sincerely.

CC

1995? How could I forget that summer? We haven't had anything like it since. As for getting burned: Even in Ireland, there are times when you need to apply the sun block.

I'm glad to hear you were in Cork (which is where I'm from) as well as Galway.

The weather is fine now. I'd much rather be out walking along that promenade and beyond, rather than working. Or posting here ... 🙄

• Thanks 1

On 16/02/2020 at 17:01, JohnT said:

EDIT

what I said:-
Dennis giving us a miss but did blast Hawick which is a forty five minute drive away. 
Weather can be highly localised. 

Dennis has decided to blow a gale in the last hour and has just removed at least one tree from the wood across the way

Of course when I wrote the above A small voice in my head said “Oh you will regret that”

At approx 1050 last night a noise was discernible by myself and Mrs T coming from outside the house. I use the term noise loosely. More like the sort of noise a crashing Lightning might have made had I ever heard that. Cautious investigation showed a fully mature beech tree around 110 feet had come down across the road taking a grown fir tree with it on the way. It looked like a road block from a 70’s WW2 movie. 
Anyway I am £960 poorer after a team moved and cut it up but now coming down in logs for the fire once they season, dry and cure

• Sad 3

I flew into Manchester during Ciara, not often you hear the throttles hit the stops going forward then a second later hear them hit them back on a 767, we had an "enjoyable"ride last 3000 feet, plus or minus 20 knots, but the F/O greased it on.

She got a round of applause after we got to the gate, I slept with her on the overnight.......

Oh did I forget to mention my First Officer was my wife ? ....Shame on me !!!! 

• Like 2

Please feel at liberty to send any of that wet stuff you have spare in this direction. The weekend before last, when the whole east coast of NSW got drenched (like 300-400mm or more) we got the princely sum of 9mm over the period from Friday evening to Monday morning. It did put out most of the state's fires, and topped up many water supply reservoirs, but (for those west of the Sandstone Curtain, anyway) the drought is far from over.

The most noticeable thing about storm Dennis here on Loch Goil happened around 4.30am while most people slept.... First there was a flash of lightning that lit up my bedroom like it was day followed by a loud rumble but that wasn't the main event, that came next! Second flash of lightning, or rather, continuous flicker of lightning for a couple of seconds followed by a huge rumble of thunder that lasted at least five or six seconds but seemed more like at least ten. My dogs were absolutely petrified but the missus didn't even have a break in her snoring although she did wake up after a minute or two of our Yorkshire terrier sitting on her head shaking with fright.

On another note though, all credit to the crew of the Arran ferry for getting her into the port of Ardrossan t'other day. The footage on the news makes her look like a toy bobbing in the bath!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-51523635/ferry-crew-praised-for-berthing-lurching-ferry-at-ardrossan

• Like 2

Yes. but this is a passenger ferry.

I hope none of the passengers were standing. 

And especially by the stairs down to the car deck...

Or on their way down the stairs...

Or even by then by their cars...

By the way...

I was supposed to be in Hereford today to visit my guys but the engineer in charge said "We have serious flooding, we might be able to get you here (maybe) but if you manage to get out again you're car might not get back out undamaged"

On 2/19/2020 at 12:51 AM, Murdo said:

By the way...

I was supposed to be in Hereford today to visit my guys but the engineer in charge said "We have serious flooding, we might be able to get you here (maybe) but if you manage to get out again you're car might not get back out undamaged"

Yep, if you're headed to that part of Britain right now, you might need one of these....

s-l1600-24.png

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2020 at 11:17 PM, FLCH said:

I flew into Manchester during Ciara, not often you hear the throttles hit the stops going forward then a second later hear them hit them back on a 767, we had an "enjoyable"ride last 3000 feet, plus or minus 20 knots, but the F/O greased it on.

She got a round of applause after we got to the gate, I slept with her on the overnight.......

Oh did I forget to mention my First Officer was my wife ? ....Shame on me !!!! 

Your wife oooooh! Is that allowed? You know 'domestic politics'. 

Of course she's probably a better pilot than you 😉. The best pilot I ever flew with is a woman. She also kicked my bottom and improved my flying. 

But while I'm not sexist, no really. I don't completely trust my wife even if she is better looking, more intelligent, more successful financially and in her career. I don't trust her when she's driving. But she doesn't trust me either. 

Fighting the urge to jump in and save the day must be difficult?

Edited by noelh

On 2/17/2020 at 10:57 AM, klr said:

RZT3VYC.jpg

I lived for a while a few roads back from the front at Salthill. On stormy nights the salt spray coated the windows with a nice layer of salt. I even found seaweed in garden one morning. 

It's very exposed. 

Corsaircorp got lucky and in truth Manchester has a similar amount of rainfall. So it's exaggerated but frankly this month it's hardly stopped. I have a little pond in my back garden I never had before. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, noelh said:

I lived for a while a few roads back from the front at Salthill. On stormy nights the salt spray coated the windows with a nice layer of salt. I even found seaweed in garden one morning. 

It's very exposed. 

Corsaircorp got lucky and in truth Manchester has a similar amount of rainfall. So it's exaggerated but frankly this month it's hardly stopped. I have a little pond in my back garden I never had before. 

My apartment block is just over 100 yards from the Salthill promenade. However, my apartment faces away from the sea, and thus all the prevailing wind and rain, which suits me fine. I can hear it, but I can't feel it. Whenever I want to see the ocean, it's about a minute's walk away.

• Like 2

Flooding on the Limerick - Galway rail line, bus transfers required for obvious reasons:

ERkFqshXsAEwh0W?format=jpg&name=small

I remember a journey some years ago when the conditions were just about passable here. From the safety of my seat, it seemed as if the train was going over the surface of a lake.😬

On 2/17/2020 at 8:49 AM, JohnT said:

I always wanted to be a meteorologist 

Likewise.

Just imagine being able to keep your job, when getting everything completely wrong all the time. A bit like "economists" actually.

They both come out with the same excuses... "we could not have forseen that event happening...".:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/22/2020 at 1:19 PM, noelh said:

Your wife oooooh! Is that allowed? You know 'domestic politics'. 

Of course she's probably a better pilot than you 😉. The best pilot I ever flew with is a woman. She also kicked my bottom and improved my flying. 

But while I'm not sexist, no really. I don't completely trust my wife even if she is better looking, more intelligent, more successful financially and in her career. I don't trust her when she's driving. But she doesn't trust me either. 

Fighting the urge to jump in and save the day must be difficult?

Yes it’s allowed at my airline, we live 1200 miles apart on days off so there’s not much “domestic” going on, but we agreed I’m the boss at work, the rest is up for negotiation !

We usually fly together 90% of the time so it’s a much easier task seeing as we can anticipate each other’s moves, so the need to jump in isn’t there after flying together for the last 12 years. 😀

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 2:12 AM, hairystick said:

Likewise.

Just imagine being able to keep your job, when getting everything completely wrong all the time. A bit like "economists" actually.

They both come out with the same excuses... "we could not have forseen that event happening...".:rolleyes:

Well unlike economists there is less excuse for getting it wrong these days with the array of technology available. If anything they get it wrong by exaggerating the risks.

This week they had a yellow warning for 'Wintry conditions'. Well no kidding, it's February. We hardly need to be warned about ice in February. 

Anyway here in the west we have an orange warning for storm Jorge tomorrow. Seems excessive to me but I'm tempting fate by saying this. But several of previous orange warnings amounted to a slightly more windy day than usual. 

Time will tell. 

Weather prediction is at least based on genuine science, unlike economics, but matters are so complex then it is still rather amazing that they are not considerably less accurate (which I guess applies to weather and economics).

Given last year, and indeed the temperatures for most of this year, then ice is indeed be worthy of note in February.   At least for those of us in lower altitudes and latitudes.

• Thanks 1