The Weather,

Mick4350

Average temperature here, about 8*c

But strong winds and heavy torrential rain since Monday evening. Many roads and fields flooded

I'll not say its bad, but I've been out back checking on my stock of gopher wood and got out my B&D workmate

9 minutes ago, roginoz said:

Forecast of 42 tomorrow after 24 overnight, no rain in sight.

Hope you're away from the fires, Mick.

They are about twenty to thirty miles north of us, that did knock out the power lines to the pumping station  of our councils main dam that supplies our drinking water to the city/region. There is just so much thirsty land up here waiting for a decent drop of rain !

Ya not wrong !

We've been pretty lucky down here despite a below average winter rainfall.

We feel for the poor folks in outback NSW & Qld who are in the 4th + year of drought. Catastrophic for some.

My daughter in Pt MacQuarie was evacuated as the fire was in her street. OK now though.

Our turn next ??

Here it's around 25c, dull and cloudy and there's a thunderstorm raising a racket not far away. Probably dumping bucket loads of rain, much needed rain because this country is suffering a drought too. The house I'm staying in hasn't had local authority water in months and is currently without electricity. 

I'm away from my usual haunts somewhere in Africa and the rainy season has started. The thunderstorms are nothing short of spectacular. But the rain is desperately needed. 

Bloody mozzies are out though

• Like 1

Raining again today,. Since October 6th when we had our first real rain for about 4 months it’s hardly stopped, I think you could count the number of completely dry days since then on the fingers of both hands, at least we didn’t get the severe thunderstorms with winds gusting to 105 km/hr that were forecast for last night! 

When we arrived here 14 years ago, we used to get about a week of wet weather at the end of October/ beginning of November then mostly clear and cold until the end of February. The summers are getting hotter and dryer also, who says that climate change is not happening, it is here.

14 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The summers are getting hotter and dryer also, who says that climate change is not happening, it is here.

Agree with you on this one !

• Like 2

Too cold in Melbourne, looks like another wet day of cricket this Saturday. So far only 1 day of play has been washed out, but we've played two other days in rain and hail plus the torrential rain Tuesday two weeks ago for our T20 game. I got so wet batting a couple of weeks ago I had to put my gear outside to dry out.

So far this week, 12mm rain at home with the summer storms. Some places near to Brisbane received 115mm in one hour ( or the equivalent of the past seven months rain ). 

Last December (2018), we had 8 days in which we experienced temperatures above 30° Celcius. This year we have had 13 days of temperatures above 30° in December, and it sitting at 37° outside at the moment.

Edited by Mick4350
  • Sad 1

There’s a big storm in the Bay of Biscay at the moment and it’s heading this way, front edge just over the coast at La Rochelle. The winds are estimated between 90-110km/hr at the edges and 140km/hr at the centre. The shutters on the windward side of the house are already closed and anything in the garden likely to blow around has been put in the barn. Oh, and thunderstorms forecast between  2200 and 0100! Looks like it’s going to be a fun night.

John

34 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

There’s a big storm in the Bay of Biscay at the moment and it’s heading this way, front edge just over the coast at La Rochelle. The winds are estimated between 90-110km/hr at the edges and 140km/hr at the centre. The shutters on the windward side of the house are already closed and anything in the garden likely to blow around has been put in the barn. Oh, and thunderstorms forecast between  2200 and 0100! Looks like it’s going to be a fun night.

John

Yeah! you and me both John. I see that in the early hours of tomorrow morning, we will be experiencing 65km sustained winds, gusting up to 95km. If that doesn't bring the rest of our barn wall down, and with it the whole damned roof, along with possibly the commune house that's joined onto the back of it, it'll be a miracle. But hey ho! it can't be all that important because the insurance company in it's infinite wisdom, won't be sending out an assessor until the 14th January.

John.

• Like 1

John, @Biggles87 and @Bullbasket, keep yer 'eads down Gents. Remember, things can be replaced....YOU can't!

Here's hoping that your forecasts on your side of La Manche are as inaccurate as ours this side of the Channel, and if I may?

Wishing you and your nearest and dearest a Wonderful, Peaceful and plastic! Christmas and a suitably liquid (YOUR choice!) New Year.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1