The Weather,

Mick4350

Ah, in the middle of the Monster Monsoon (as the news bytes are calling it). Had more than a years rain in one week, with more heavy rain on the way.

Couldn't even get to work yesterday.

DennisTheBear

And later on tonight they are going to open up the gates at the Ross River Dam near Townsville and the flow is estimated to be 2000 cubic metres per second.

Currently 3 °C here. Aberdeen finally got a decent covering of snow yesterday, before that it was merely cold enough for brass monkey testicular amputation.

Mike.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:16 PM, Admiral Puff said:

You might push a bit down this way, if you would - we've had a pretty dry summer in this part of the world, and those further to the west have had it a lot worse.

The monsoon front stretches east - west about 1000kms, almost to the Northern Territory border, so at least that part of the drought affected areas is getting some sinificent water.

It is also somewhere between 500 - 700kms north - south, so somewhat down that way.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:24 PM, roginoz said:

Yeah, we could use a bit [a BIG bit] too ! Almost no rain since early December.

39 today, mid to high 30's forecast all week......starting to get boring !

Webbed feet yet, Dennis ?

Haha, it feels like it. If you really want some of this we'll send it down, and we'll include the crocodile in the tree for free.

Really have to say thanks to all the civil and military emergency personell up here for their great efforts in ensuring our safety, and to the staffs of the supermarkets that have struggled to stay open so people could buy food.

By the by the rainfall in the last week and a bit has exceeded all previous records for Townsville. Just a bit unprecedented.

DennisTheBear

Yeah, saw it on the news all day. A years rain in 7 days doesn't bear thinking about ! We get excited if we get a 25mm dump !

Of course, the contents of the dam doesn't help, but the alternative would be even worse. Great to see everyone bogging in to help, gawd knows what the cleanup job will be like.

You OK, Dennis ? Reckon if you are, you'd be one of a few. Floods in the tropics, fires in Tassie; they reckon it's gonna take 6 weeks to control it, no rain in sight.

I'll see your one croc and raise you a couple of hundred kangaroos !

Good luck, we're thinking of you down here.

Rog

• Like 1

What he said ... ^^^

What I've seen on the news doesn't look pretty. Hang in there - an extra round turn on the verandah post maybe. It must be a real cow to get flooded - I'm on the side of a hill, and if a flood ever reaches my place the whole country's in strife!

Just noticed you guys talking about the weather,down here,sure is one extreme to another,my heart goes out to you up North,lived in Qld for 25 years,and the weather pattern there can be on the wild side at times,I now live on the mid/coast of N.S.W and the heat has been relentless,the last time we saw any rain was back in early November,tying to paint my models is a chore even the glue is drying faster than I can lay it down,So Cheers and try and keep dry or cool. 

regards Jim

We are having "Ghost Apples" here due to the wet and freezing conditions.

Pretty cool to look at!

ghost%20apples%203_1549569585762.jpg_715

NOT%20SIZED%20ghost%20apple%20020719_154

ghost%20apples_1549569585771.jpg_7157383

Apparently apples freeze at lower temperatures than water so you get an icy shell and the rotting apple just runs out the bottom.

• Like 7

February in France can be really cold ( we've had -15C ) or unseasonably mild, or both. It looks like we're heading towards the latter this year as the forecast for the next 10 days shows continuous sun and temperatures rising to 16 or 17. Yippee, I might even get some spraying done.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

February in France can be really cold ( we've had -15C ) or unseasonably mild, or both. It looks like we're heading towards the latter this year as the forecast for the next 10 days shows continuous sun and temperatures rising to 16 or 17. Yippee, I might even get some spraying done.

'Morning John. Yes I saw that when I checked it on the forecast this morning. Shame that I'll be back in the Old Country for the next two weeks. At least I won't have to worry about being caught out by "the beast from the east" like last year, so I can safely shut down the heating while I'm away.

John.

• Like 1

Word to the wise John, @Bullbasket DON'T shut the heating down completely, if you can, control from the thermostat, turn it down, not off.

Reason being it's less strain on the system. Your engineer may have different ideas, I don't know. The above was told to me by my ex brother-in-law twenty five years ago, by which time he'd left British Gas fitter after working for them for 15 years.

Enjoy your time with the family, and particularly the Grandson.........and he won't fall for the same trick twice........you'll have to come up with something new!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to-day we have wind gusts up to 60 mph and freezing rain turning to snow.

It will probably be a quiet day here at Riders Hobby Shop but there is always the lunatic who needs a bottle of paint or a bit for their RC car.

I am half hoping the power goes out so I can send everyone home, including me.

Good day to stay in and tinker with bits-o-plastic...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

What's the mid 60s in real temperature?  Will the UK revert to Imperial measurements after March 29? ( Sorry, couldn't resist )

its a whopping 15.5 Degrees C Biggles :) 

That's the temp it was at 06h00 this morning here :) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

What's the mid 60s in real temperature?  Will the UK revert to Imperial measurements after March 29? ( Sorry, couldn't resist )

One can only hope, and do away with those silly Froggie measurements, that they got wrong. :giggle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Leaving sunny La La Land, where it will be +18C today, for Minneapolis, where it will get down to -18C. On the one hand, I'm amused by the symmetry. On the other hand, that's cccccccold! 

Back at work today after two unexpected days off at the end of last week. Thursday saw us get a record amount of snowfall for a single day - 35.9 inches. Basically closed down the town for a couple of days, with even the University closing completely! Luckily, it was very light and fluffy snow, so quite easy to shovel off the driveway.....