The Weather,

Mick4350

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

You're glass is empty.

Almost. Perhaps that explains why I was in a good mood by that point!

It was a nice apple & almond "moonshine" spirit that I acquired at the Edinburgh Christmas market in December :)

Perhaps a little sweet compared to my usual choices, but a nice interlude.

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It's only an inflatable one - a proper one is out of our price range.

It's excellent for mental well-being and I'd highly recommend it! :D

:)  Mrs Mad has been trying to convince me for about the last 5 years that we REALLY need a jet bath. Its like a bath with 10 nozzles, like a mini jacuzzi. I've basically just given up on all the cons she's trying to pull about getting one and told her if she wants one then buy one and get it fitted. 

I'm expecting a really cool jet bath in the next month :)  

EDIT - Mrs Mad was peering over my shoulder when I posted the above, and confirms that the jet bath does indeed have 10 nozzles, but ours will have a extra one in it. Took me a while to click she was talking about me :( 

Edited by MAD STEVE
  • Haha 7

35 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

Its like a bath with 10 nozzles,

Here we see @MAD STEVE 's jet bath on her maiden voyage.

Due to Maritime and Harbour Regulations she is not able to use the jets within port limits.

To enable her to sail on her sea trials she is fitted with a clockwork outboard.

Watch for updates and the latest photos of those jets in action

Note that Mrs Mad Steve appears to be away washing her hair thus missing this historic event.

(To justify inclusion in this thread,they had weather that day)

attachment-image-4c49c792-fdc2-40ce-a5f9

• Haha 6

37 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

EDIT - Mrs Mad was peering over my shoulder when I posted the above, and confirms that the jet bath does indeed have 10 nozzles, but ours will have a extra one in it. Took me a while to click she was talking about me :( 

I bet the volume on your amplifiers goes up to 11, as well.

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2018 at 10:18 AM, Darby said:

I can vouchsafe for that. I am one.

I'm coming over to Dorset at the start of July Darby. Should I pack the Kagool or the Mankini?

• Haha 1

Cloudy, foggy, and 11C already here today.  Or, for Darby, from one meteorologist to another,  181453Z 05008KT 5SM BR BKN006 OCV010 11/09 A2999.  Again, location hidden to protect the innocent (or is it guilty?)...

Tom

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'm coming over to Dorset at the start of July Darby. Should I pack the Kagool or the Mankini?

Oh come ON Baron, England? July? you pack BOTH!

...........................and throw the waxed in just in case we get a nip, thermals, obviously, are optional!!

Paul

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tmeyer said:

Cloudy, foggy, and 11C already here today.  Or, for Darby, from one meteorologist to another,  181453Z 05008KT 5SM BR BKN006 OCV010 11/09 A2999.  Again, location hidden to protect the innocent (or is it guilty?)...

Tom

YLO1 then? Surely OVC010? 

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Both, Whatever the weather you'll enjoy Dorset. I lived there for 9yrs. Bovington on the list by any chance? Try and take in Maiden Castle hill fort near Dorchester and a stroll through Thornicombe Wood next to Hardy's cottage; great for bird life.

8 hours ago, Darby said:

Both, Whatever the weather you'll enjoy Dorset. I lived there for 9yrs. Bovington on the list by any chance? Try and take in Maiden Castle hill fort near Dorchester and a stroll through Thornicombe Wood next to Hardy's cottage; great for bird life.

Booked in for Tankfest at Bovington. :thumbsup2:

Thornicombe Wood sounds a perfect balm for the frazzled mind Darbs, ta for the recommendation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the same storm that hit us around 4pm. In the 13 years that we've lived here, I can't remember a storm like it. Looking up at the clouds, it was as though there had been an electrical short up there. Small flashes of lightning going off constantly all over the sky. But it was the wind that shook me the most. It came out of nowhere. The roar through the trees was really loud, and the strength was frightening. Several trees around us had large branches ripped down. I only lasted about 30 minutes, but that was enough.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

Dog woke me up at 2:30 and we both spent the next hour watching  the most spectacular  thunderstorm I've  seen in the British Isles.

Yes it was impressive,and a bit scary.But the thing that got me was the cat slept through the whole lot,normally if you bang a bucket she practically freaks out!

Dave.

• Like 1

Man I wish it was snowing! We have had two weeks of baking hot, sunny weather with hardly a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind, today we had a bit of a downpour with a few rumbles of thunder so now it's hot and sticky instead! I hate heat! This wee glen of mine is way too sheltered I guess. Every time I have had to use the car the temp readout has been over 30 degrees C (35 once!!!) and I have had to let the aircon run for a while before daring to put a hand on the wheel which has been getting so hot it's been like touching a hotplate. Can't wait for the cold to come back so I can get some decent sleep at nights.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Beardie said:

Man I wish it was snowing! We have had two weeks of baking hot, sunny weather with hardly a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind, today we had a bit of a downpour with a few rumbles of thunder so now it's hot and sticky instead! I hate heat! This wee glen of mine is way too sheltered I guess. Every time I have had to use the car the temp readout has been over 30 degrees C (35 once!!!) and I have had to let the aircon run for a while before daring to put a hand on the wheel which has been getting so hot it's been like touching a hotplate. Can't wait for the cold to come back so I can get some decent sleep at nights.

:) We have a natty invention down here for stopping that. Large brick building like a big box with a foldy uppy door on one end that, what for it, your car sleeps in :) Don't know if they will ever take off though, it seems most cars are like hormonal teenagers and leave their bedrooms in terrible states full to the brim with junk and then they just have to sleep wherever there is space :) 

I know its reaaally funny someone in South Africa telling a chap in the wild and hairys of Scotland how to combat the heat :) but failing all else, if you put a large bath towel over the windscreen Beardie the inside wont get hot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Beardie said:

Can't wait for the cold to come back so I can get some decent sleep at nights.

Pack your bags and come down under for a holiday. Lots to see and do.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Pack your bags and come down under for a holiday. Lots to see and do.

Things to see in Australia:

Box jellyfish

Irukandji jellyfish

Bull shark

Eastern brown snake

Crocodile

Funnel web spider

Blue-ringed octopus

Common death adder

Australian paralysis tick

etc, etc, etc.

Things to do in Australian:

Staying alive - and preferably un-paralysed (see above).

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass.

• Haha 8

We're having a stormy period in France at the moment, in the first 10 days of June, thunder ( sometimes severe with hail and strong winds ) forecast for eight. Fortunately most of them pass to the east or west of us following the rivers apparently but we still get the occasional one overhead, and boy does it rain!.

22 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

We're having a stormy period in France at the moment, in the first 10 days of June, thunder ( sometimes severe with hail and strong winds ) forecast for eight. Fortunately most of them pass to the east or west of us following the rivers apparently but we still get the occasional one overhead, and boy does it rain!.

Yep, same here in department 79. We're on orange alert at the moment. As you say, most of them tend to bypass us (I think they follow the N10 north), but they can still do some damage as per last Saturday.

John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

Things to see in Australia:

Box jellyfish

Irukandji jellyfish

Bull shark

Eastern brown snake

Crocodile

Funnel web spider

Blue-ringed octopus

Common death adder

Australian paralysis tick

etc, etc, etc.

Things to do in Australian:

Staying alive - and preferably un-paralysed (see above).

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass.

You forgot the deadly Drop Bear from your list. We only have the odd Funnel Web Spider and a few ticks in the surrounding countryside . Been here for 50 years and non of the above have bothered me or my family and friends.

1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

You forgot the deadly Drop Bear from your list. We only have the odd Funnel Web Spider and a few ticks in the surrounding countryside . Been here for 50 years and non of the above have bothered me or my family and friends.

I forgot about the extra terrifying drop bear, my blood runs cold just thinking of what those poor unfortunate victims endured. The only thing that allowed the photographer of this particularly fearsome looking one to survive, is its instinctive hatred of Vegemite (they much prefer Marmite, and who can blame them).

eeb84d30-f967-4457-88f7-4dbbe70b1155.png

The most dangerous and feared creature on the correct side of the planet, is the enraged human female after its mate has smashed her favourite Christmas ornament :giggle: (ask me how I know….).

Of course those who die horrible deaths aren't able to reassure me about how safe Australian wildlife is.

🕷️ < They even lurk on posts about Australia!

• Haha 5