"TAKE OFF" - EA-18 GROWLER on CVN Deck - 1/144 scale *FINISHED*

nimrod54

Had a go at sorting out the coaming this afternoon, so equipped with a new blade in my scalpel I set about trimming the front end away to what I felt was a more representative height. Then I covered the gap with a wedge of thin plastic card and. when everything had set up, sanded this to shape..

26340914967_c044a90af9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

26340913517_036810386e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Then had a check to make sure that the modifications would not affect the canopy fit later.

27339795998_879d6b78ea_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

26340911967_2b8f195f32_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

That looks great dude, while your at it, is the RIO’s ejector seat head box supposed to be that big? or is that a result of the leg surgery & him sitting lower down. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That looks great dude, while your at it, is the RIO’s ejector seat head box supposed to be that big? :rofl:

'I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave earlier' :P

Just a small update to show the repainted coaming and with @Hockeyboy76's headbox comment :winkgrin: still ringing in my ears, I removed RIO and refitted him in a higher position but as you can see, he is still a laid back dude. :D Sorry about the repetitive nature of the last few postings, still, now that I have made these corrections I should be able to push on with some more assembly.

41282052731_5bc5ba42f3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

I wouldn't worry about the laid back RIO - he just has his head against the head rest awaiting the Cat Shot.  I think just before launch the Pilot would do the same and grab the canopy handles, the flight computer controlling the first few seconds of flight (I think).  

I love what you're doing here.  This model is coming on really well and will be really dramatic, just a pity Zone V reheat can't be modelled...   Keep it up....

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments gents, I think that the cockpit looks better for the changes. I've spent some time trying to make the flap-shrouds (?), and I've completed the starboard side along with the largest section on the port.

26452454117_9e9f8c69d7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

To do this I fixed a piece of masking tape over the flap part removed earlier in the build and created a template by trimming round the required area. The tape template was then carefully removed, fixed to some thin plastic card, then this was trimmed to shape.

The part taped up

26452452337_e1cfe9540e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

and the trimmed template.

26452455257_5d5e63d913_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

After the new part had been cut out, it was fixed in place. I now have to figure out the best way of attaching the flaps.

26452453377_75ee014006_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

that looks amazing, such nice work for such a small scale! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich. You may have noticed that I have had to add the wingtip launch rails back on, having discovered that Bu.No. 165166 was an F/A-18F used as a development aircraft for the EA-18G programme. The only photos I have been able to find show this aircraft without the EA-18G specific wingtip equipment.

Not sure how accurate this is it came from Joe baugher’s website. 

165166			McDonnell Douglas F/A-18F Super Hornet (Lot 18)
				EMD aircraft, MSN 1313/F001.  Evaluation aircraft for proposed EA-18. First flight Nov 15, 2001. Used at Boeing at St Louis, MO for special project flight tests.  SOC Jun 12, 2007.  In 2008 was retired from flying and now used at maintenance school as ground instructional aircraft at NAS Pensacola, FL

I hope this helps in someway. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having just completed two builds for other GB's, I thought that it would be a good idea to bring folk up to date with the small amount of progress that has been going on in the background, before work re-starts in earnest.

For this one, the EA-18G has had the canopy masked and some primer applied.

41341377954_abef451919_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41341376814_dcfe52a343_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I was able to get the top and bottom colours airbrushed on the aircraft over the weekend using Xtracolor's Dark Compass Grey on the upper surfaces, and Light Compass Grey on the lower. The pylons were attached prior to painting with the only casualty being one of the outer pylons, which came off whilst masking for the lower colour. All of the dangly bits that hang from the pylons have also received some paint along with the undercarriage doors. I hope to complete the detail painting over the coming week, then I can start on the decals.

40443064390_1ce0eb585d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42250168361_c2e6c2cc82_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have managed a bit of work on this over the past few days. I've started working on the carrier deck and vehicles, and this morning I decided that, while I had the decaling equipment out to complete the Airfix Wildcat stencils, I would start adding the decals to the EA-18G for this build, completing one side.

41142831070_447a716be4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42051451745_268581fa4d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4