"TAKE OFF" - EA-18 GROWLER on CVN Deck - 1/144 scale *FINISHED*

nimrod54

• 2 weeks later...

In between the Wildcat builds I have been working on the carrier deck for this one. I have managed to get the main deck colour on but there is still plenty to do, so I can foresee a few late night sessions over the next week in an effort to get this over the line. The aircraft is nearly there with just a couple of HARM's to paint up before adding all the final details.

28384244237_77190886f3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

28384242017_0d7a2ce6e6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments chaps. The base is almost complete, I am going to try pushing some personal boundaries and attempt a bit of light weathering around the blast doors. :fingerscrossed:

The trucks had their decals applied today and need a coat of varnish to seal them in, I also have to start on the deck crew. Aircraft wise, the wheels are on AGM-88's are painted, the undercarriage doors have to be separated into their individual parts and then I can add the underwing bits and bobs.

29496323728_8b9e9c9b2f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This is almost finished now, just some paint required on the some of the fireman and touch up on the missiles will see those finished. I also need to come up with some way of painting in the windows on the deck structure, I am not sure how best to represent those yet. But just for @trickyrich here is how things should look when I complete it tomorrow.

28541736887_8d79ba0c88_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

28541737337_9dafb401a6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2

I finished off the final few bits this morning and below are some photos of the work carried out over the past couple of days. The base has had some weathering applied to the blast doors and the deck area just in front using a mix of oils , and the deck area had a couple of coats off matt clear.

42704964554_789026d159_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42704963644_c4848a7afc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The figures were painted, the trucks had decals applied and some matt clear sealed everything in.

42704962094_48e28ef312_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

42704962844_18ea8409f9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And the EA-18 had the doors and under-wing stores added after having a couple of coats of satin clear.

42704959614_b8f8c976e3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41613486470_9c1a87f39c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have really enjoyed this build, it has been something different for me. Thanks to everyone who followed and commented along the way and special thanks to @bootneck for supplying some of the figures used in this build. I'll post some gallery photos shortly. 

• Like 2

fantastic!!! :thumbsup:  I'm glad you made it in time, what and awesome looking model/diorama, well done.

Those little trucks are tiny and you'd be hard pressed to tell they were 1/144th and not something of a larger scale, very nicely done.

It's great to see one of these models here and you can be very proud of what you've produced.

It's been really great to have you along, I hope you enjoyed yourself and looking forward to seeing future builds in other GB's.

• Like 1