Air Cadets, 1/72 Sedbergh T21 Vacform

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

At the moment, the elevators will remain white, but I only have a few shots of examples like that, by far the majority seem to have them red, just like the tailplane, so that may change tonight when I finalise things.

Terry

The elevators were definitely red Terry.  Hope it's not too late.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This really is the most well thought out and presented build.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian. It feels like its been a long slog though!

8 hours ago, stringbag said:

The elevators were definitely red Terry.  Hope it's not too late.

Chris.

No worries Chris, I concluded that last night, they are red now!

And thanks to all who have everything crossed!

First coat of red is on, another dusting due today. Why does red paint get everywhere!

Terry

• Like 1

Last night's airbrushing went pretty well, managed to get a couple of very fine coats on.

20181104_21343520181104_213429

Before we do the great reveal we need to next airbrush in the RAF blue on the fin stripe:

20181105_113551

Then some black on the forward part of the upper nose:

20181105_113602

So thats the next job this afternoon, followed by some work on the Sabre.

Meanwhile, I need to raid my very precious and dwindling stock of Strutz. For those not familiar, these are perfectly formed aerodynamic lengths of brass strut. You can no longer get them sadly, and these were a generous gift given to me some time back by @plasticpilot. I think he was trying to get me to build a WWI aircraft at the time! They were used on the T31, and now the plan is to form the two wing support struts on this one. The two really thick looking ones on the left are the correct thickness and profile for this job.

20181105_101332

The other thing to get ready for are the decals. Modeldecal's trusty set of post war type D roundels will do the job, but the rest will have to be home made. This was the run I did for the T31. Remarkably I even planned ahead with some serials for the Sedbergh. The oblong box shaped ones are various attempts to replicate the position of the over wing speed brakes, or spoilers as we called them.

20181105_113650

I'm actually trying to get this and the Sabre finished for Wednesday's club night, which kind of gives me contingency for Telford!

More soon.

Terry

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, perdu said:

looks very 'right' so far

Hurry up!

I'm trying I'm trying!

20181105_13424720181105_134239

Have to leave it a few hours now and then attempt the great reveal.

Meanwhile, struts are primed and coming on fine.

Sharp eyed amongst you may be able to identify the bl;ob in the background as the Sabre canopy, ready for the frames to be Alcladed (is that a word?)

Terry

• Like 4

So, its time for that moment we all dread I'm sure, the great reveal after extensive airbrushing...........

The obligatory debris picture. And I now know where the missing Sabre main wheel door went.......

20181105_172357

There were several layers to unpick, and it's always nerve wracking when paint peels off, from some of the preceding masking tape layers like this. Quite a scary moment, but fear not.........

20181105_170249

I'm pleased to say that all has come off without any underlying paint peeling. There are one or two small areas of creep and slight overspray, but on the whole, I'm well pleased with this. With this scheme the masking was always going to make or break the model. I now need to spend the next 24 hours touching up and delicately re-spraying where necessary. 

20181105_17170120181105_17184520181105_17190420181105_17195120181105_17195820181105_17194420181105_17200420181105_172014

I'm sure you spotted the small areas to put right, but overall I'm happy.

I'm also relieved about the red. It took me sometime to decide whether this was in fact the correct shade, and I'm satisfied that it is, now its on the model.

Onto the touching up now, and the wing support struts, but also at some point, I'll need to take all of the masking material out of the cockpit and see if that has survived the journey so far!

More tomorrow I think

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That looks cracking Terry! Hope to see her on Saturday!

Keith

Thanks Keith. Yes it will be at Telford all weekend. I'll be (mostly) on the Dorset IPMS table (Poole Vikings) so looking forward to saying hi!

23 minutes ago, stringbag said:

That's turned out really well Terry.  I think you have made a very good job of the whole thing especially considering the scale.  👍

Chris.

Thanks Chris, really appreciate that. Your help and material has been invaluable. Just need to get the last few things sorted.

Terry

• Like 1

Hi Terry 

I just stumbled across this!  I knew you built planes but don't often look in WIP

These are Beautiful - really Fine modelling:clap2:

I'll drop by and see them in the flesh Saturday 

Rob

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The other thing to get ready for are the decals. Modeldecal's trusty set of post war type D roundels will do the job, but the rest will have to be home made. This was the run I did for the T31. Remarkably I even planned ahead with some serials for the Sedbergh. The oblong box shaped ones are various attempts to replicate the position of the over wing speed brakes, or spoilers as we called them.

20181105_113650

I'm actually trying to get this and the Sabre finished for Wednesday's club night, which kind of gives me contingency for Telford!

More soon.

Terry

A couple serials on that sheet look familiar Chipmunks WP981 and WP970. But just to nit pick the fonts on both sheets you show are not really quite right for standard RAF of the period I'm afraid. The number 1 doesn't have the serif for example. You'd be better off seeking suitable Modeldecal sets for all the lettering and numbers.  I think Xtradecal do versions of the same sets with correct fonts. Strangely the bunch of 'AIR CADETS' titles you have there are quite correct in font styles. 

Very much look forward to the end result though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Terry 

I just stumbled across this!  I knew you built planes but don't often look in WIP

These are Beautiful - really Fine modelling:clap2:

I'll drop by and see them in the flesh Saturday 

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yes these have taken up more time recently, hence the Vosper build is stalled!

Will be great to see you on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

A couple serials on that sheet look familiar Chipmunks WP981 and WP970. But just to nit pick the fonts on both sheets you show are not really quite right for standard RAF of the period I'm afraid. The number 1 doesn't have the serif for example. You'd be better off seeking suitable Modeldecal sets for all the lettering and numbers.  I think Xtradecal do versions of the same sets with correct fonts. Strangely the bunch of 'AIR CADETS' titles you have there are quite correct in font styles. 

Very much look forward to the end result though.

Those are indeed Chipmunks, taken from my old Logbook. Probably at the time, out of White Waltham or possibly Scampton. The flights were between 1968 and 1970 as I recall. I will need to check back.

I popped them onto the sheet as possible builds of aircraft I have flown in. To be honest I realised the fonts were not perfect. I used Arial for them all, including the Air Cadets, which you say is accurate? As well as the numeral 1, I can see that the W is not correct also. I found an example of the numeral 2 also, which seems to come out incorrect in Arial. I do have the Modeldecal sets, so may revert to those if I have time. Pre printing saves so much time!

Thanks for the heads up!

Terry

If you search free fonts for your computer you will be able to download (free, by the way) the font RAF_PW_ATH which is the modern font in use on UK Military aircraft

When you download it you can have it inserted in your fontbank Windows will be able to tell you how if you are unsure

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Windows will be able to tell you how if you are unsure

Thanks Bill. Unfortunately I am using a Mac these days. I do have a Windows lap top, but it is elsewhere this week. I tried installing those fonts and sadly no joy on the Mac. My Modeldecal sheets are good for the fuselage serials, but I don't have any large enough for the underwing. I have a couple of other ideas I am trying out today, failing that, underwing will be slightly wrong font I'm sorry to say!

The trials and tribulations of our hobby ...............

Terry

• Sad 1

Or, if print your own is a  viable thing use bold lower case letter L (l) as a 1

Just a thought

And try different fonts for 'Caps' shapes

Verdana or Trebuchet might be better, search your font bank

• Thanks 1