Air Cadets, 1/72 Sedbergh T21 Vacform

Its weird

I remember that, I must have been a better noticer then than I knew

Excellent work Terry

(er where did you buy real Slater's red? I can only find red ten thou in my local shops)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Hi Terry.

One of the compartments in the front panel was to house a battery to drive the T/S indicator. Usually covered over with a ply-wood plate.   In all of the T21's in my log book, I've never yet found one that was actually connected up.  The other was normally open and could indeed be used for gloves or goggles.

The centre console between the seats supports the spoiler lever and associated cables, together with the rudder cabled which are fixed to the inboard pedal on both sides. The ailerons and elevator torque tube is also housed in the centre console.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this. I felt sure all cables ran back under that centre console. That means I am less happy with the cockpit floor as given because there are two ridges running from each set of rudder pedals, under the centre of each seat. I think thats meant to be rudder/stick cable related, but I couldn't remember them being there. I need a good shot of the actual cockpit floor I guess. I'll keep trawling the net. Anything you have would be helpful.

Cheers

Terry

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

Its weird

I remember that, I must have been a better noticer then than I knew

Excellent work Terry

(er where did you buy real Slater's red? I can only find red ten thou in my local shops)

Thanks Bill

I've had the slaters red for years and I can't remember where I got it! That's the problem with being a life long modeller, who takes a 30 year gap year. :wonder:

The stuff in the picture is ultra fine, and I don't have much left. I'm sure there must be some around somewhere. Maybe Telford ....?

Cheers

Terry

A certain ex Junior National IPMS Champion handed a few lengths of the precious stuff to Tomo and me last year but out of captivity, in the wild so to speak I think its a goner now

I bought Slater's assorted from them direct a couple of years ago

Utter disappointment, what arrived was horrible, out of round colourful plastic with only the ten thou stuff available in red

And that is all I can buy at the local shop 0.010" Slaters rod in packs

Still we have memories of scratchbuild material perfection, new chaps will never know huh  :(

Loving the Sedbergh

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

A certain ex Junior National IPMS Champion handed a few lengths of the precious stuff to Tomo and me last year but out of captivity, in the wild so to speak I think its a goner now

I bought Slater's assorted from them direct a couple of years ago

Utter disappointment, what arrived was horrible, out of round colourful plastic with only the ten thou stuff available in red

And that is all I can buy at the local shop 0.010" Slaters rod in packs

Still we have memories of scratchbuild material perfection, new chaps will never know huh  :(

Loving the Sedbergh

My goodness, didn't realise it was that rare! I have it all laying around in my "rod and strip" drawer, I am now obsessed with collecting it all up and locking it away! :idea:

Indeed, these "youngsters" will never know true scratch building LOL.

Glad you like the Sedbergh. Although I have viewed these forums a lot, I've only started actively participating recently and its amazing what you learn. Doing a WIP like this is a new experience and I'm actually enjoying it .... kind of keeps the pressure on you in a good way!

Cheers

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Sorry about that.

No problem! I knew my instinct not to put the seats in yet was a good one. I can easily rectify the floor, and actually the pictures have also confirmed much better the layout of the seats themselves.

Good view of the instrument panel also. Tomorrows work plan clarified!

Thanks Chris.

Had a little bit of time today to work on the cockpit, but not much done. In the pic below (compared to similar of floor above), I have managed to remove all of the incorrect detail that comes on this part with the kit. It would probably have been easier to just build it all from 20 thou card, but at least the curved floor plan profile fits into the fuselage halves well.

I decided not to use the seats provided (they just didn't look right) and instead build my own from pictures (and dim and distant memory). 

The slaters rod is to give a little lift to some 10 thou seats (one is seen at the back there). The idea is that the from edge of the seat rests on top of that rod, and the seat itself tilts slightly downwards towards the rear, then curves up against the rear bulkhead. A sort of flat plywood bucket seat. I'm fashioning this mostly from some superb pictures provided by @stringbag

20180323_115104

I still have to construct joy sticks with joining pole through the central console and a couple of pairs of rudders, then spoiler lever in the centre and some straps etc, then get the main panel finished, before its all painted up and brought together when the two main fuselage halves can be coaxed to mate!

Probably won't get much more done on this today as I have to pack a few models to take to the Yeovil Model Show tomorrow, for the club stand.

Anyone who is there tomorrow, who is remotely interested can see this WIP together with its completed stablemate, the T31, and a handful of other 1/72 aircraft. They, along with a 1:1 version of me, will be on the Poole Vikings club stand wallowing amongst a sea of 1/35 armour from other club members!

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

Hi Terry.

The seats are actually constructed in two parts.  The seat itself, which is curved to fit your rear end and the back rest which is a curved ply affair that locates in two slots at the rear of  the seat and is held in place by the person sitting on the seat.  Behind the seat back, there is usually a pressed tin box which is designed to accommodate the parachute when worn, and the seat back is left out.

This is great mind if I tag along too.  I am (in between other modelling) trying my first vacform model, it is an incomplete Rareplanes Tucano bought cheaply to practice on and so far I am doing the wings. I must say it is quite satisfying so far. However I find the thought of doing the fuselage a bit daunting.

Will watch with interest 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stringbag said:

Almost, but not quite.

Give me an hour and I'll send you a sketch over.

Chris.

Here You go.  Hope this illustrates the seats well enough.

Thats a very helpful diagram indeed Chris, thanks!

28 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

This is great mind if I tag along too.  I am (in between other modelling) trying my first vacform model, it is an incomplete Rareplanes Tucano bought cheaply to practice on and so far I am doing the wings. I must say it is quite satisfying so far. However I find the thought of doing the fuselage a bit daunting.

Will watch with interest 

All the best 

Chris 

Very welcome Chris, although I can't promise it will be quick!

This is only the third Vac Form I have attempted, but actually they are not so bad at all. I recall having the Rareplanes Tucano years ago. I never started it and I don't know what became of it, but I do recall it was a great model.

I recently finished my second ever another vac form glider and you can see it here

You'll get plenty of encouragement on here, and I am sure there are many opinions on how best to tackle the fuselage. A decent set of plans would help though, although I think there were some decent outline drawings in that kit?

Good luck!

Terry

• Like 1

Things have not moved very fast on this one due to me catching the dreaded lurgy that seems to spread itself on this forum! That and some minor setbacks on the Avon Sabre, more of that on that thread soon.

Tonight we constructed and fitted some seats. Although my learned colleague @stringbag kindly provided a diagram which clearly shows construction of said seats (two parts each), given the size of this beast (small), I decided to construct each seat from one very small piece of 10 thou. The join at the base of the seat between seat pan and seat back, will be lightly scribed in, to give the impression of two parts. I do recall there may have been some old flat cushions provided to sit on, so that maybe an option later, using good old milliput!

Thus we have ......

20180327_18092120180327_181020

I think these are an improvement on the kitchen chair like suspects that came with the kit.

The stick in the middle was first attempt at replicating the spoiler mechanism. That does not work for me, so I re-engineered something else from fine brass wire and plastic, to give a better looking touch .....

20180327_20332220180327_20334320180327_203420

I think this will do for me!

Next came a bit of test fitting to see how it might all fit into the front of the two fuselage halves.

I was quite pleased with things in that regard.

20180327_20393120180327_203937

Next on the list, probably for another night, I need to construct some rudder pedals and two joy sticks, not forgetting the link between them that runs through the hole in the centre console.

Before that however, I need to get back to that Avon Sabre, and correct a few things that some keen eyed Australian modellers have advised me on! That one is supposed to be ready for club night, next Wednesday 4th.

Thanks

• Like 8

On 27/03/2018 at 10:39 PM, limeypilot said:

Lovely work. This (and the Cadet built) brings back many memories!

Ian

Thanks Ian,

On 28/03/2018 at 6:05 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Cockpit looks exquisite,  fantastic work Terry. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, glad you like it!

Have had a few days out over Easter but got some time tonight to work on this and the Avon Sabre.

For the T21, a little more cockpit work. I inserted the control column connecting rod through the centre console, and started work on some rudders. Theese will be very hard to see when its all closed up, but at least I'll know they are there!

20180402_17250120180402_172513

I used some really fine plastic channel section rod for the actual pedals. They may not be entirely accurate but they are very small indeed and will give the impression I'm after.

I still have the joy sticks to add in these shots.

20180402_17412220180402_174142

I also completed the wing a few days ago. Cockpit and wing shown here:

20180402_174319

Some closer shots of the wing. The pencil lines are there as I think I may loose the zig zag structure on the ailerons when I clean them up, so I wanted to position the spars so I can re-state this detail if lost, not sure how yet!

20180402_17432420180402_17433520180402_174338

Thats all for now. Need to update the Avon Sabre progress now.

Terry

• Like 6

Great work on the cockpit Terry.  I am looking forward to seeing this build up. I haven't ever thought of building Gliders before but got to say that it is quite appealing now.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

That cockpit is starting to look nice and busy now!

Roger

Thanks Roger, yes it is getting busy in the cockpit, I'm almost there with that. I just need to clean up those rudder pedals a bit and get the joy sticks in and conected to that central rod.

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I'm liking this, you can't beat a good vacform build!

Martian 

Glad you like it Martin. I'm actually enjoying this build more than the T31 I think and as you say you cant beat a good vacform build!

37 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on the cockpit Terry.  I am looking forward to seeing this build up. I haven't ever thought of building Gliders before but got to say that it is quite appealing now.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris. There are a surprising number of small glider kits around, a few in vacfrom and many resin. I think there will be a few more form me after this one, but I'll squeeze in a fast jet or two to keep me sane!

Thanks again guys.

Terry

• Like 2