Air Cadets, 1/72 Sedbergh T21 Vacform

On 11/9/2018 at 10:10 AM, Hamden said:

Great out come Terry looks the bees knees. Have a great weekend

Roger

On 11/9/2018 at 1:02 PM, T-21 said:

Great result have a good time at Telford.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:24 PM, limeypilot said:

Lovely job, they are a fine pair! Have fun at Telford!

Ian

On 11/9/2018 at 9:29 PM, perdu said:

I have seen them

They are magnificent

On 11/9/2018 at 9:48 PM, stringbag said:

Great result Terry. Sorry I won't be at Telford to see them in the flesh.

All the best.

Chris.

Thanks to Roger, T-21, Ian, Bill and Chris for your very kind comments. Telford was a blast and I met many BM'ers there for the first time which was a great experience.

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm gutted Terry - had a chat with Bill and a look at his Buccs earlier today and he reminded me about your gliders - noticed General Melchett on the Bomber Command stand so went and had a natter with him, and then completely forgot to come back to see the gliders - I am an idiot!

Keith

Gutted also not to have met yet Keith but I am sure we will at some point. Never realised General Melchett was at the Bomber Commend stand, almost in ear shot of where we were the whole weekend!

The Sedbergh is home safe, and is going straight back into the workshop to have the last minute "bodged" windshields properly re-made and fitted, then she will be ready for the RFI.

Thanks again everyone.

Terry

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Loved seeing this one at Telford; a little gem!

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian, you are too kind sir!

20 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Like that a lot Terry. The lines of a quintessential wind-traveller.

Thanks Tony. I'm contemplating a third glider for the future, but need something with a bit of ooomph for my next build ....................... perhaps even something that floats on water, rather than air!

Terry

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

For those wondering where the RFI for this has got to, the truth is there was a small fix I wanted to do to the wind shields. I wasn't overly happy with the rushed job I made of these on the eve of Telford, so in between fixing the paint job on the Sabre and moving forward with the Vosper, I have now managed to fix this. So we had this before, which with much critical hindsight is really rather appalling IMHO!

20181109_001426

So we have had three more attempts at fashioning some more realistic replacements like so

20181124_153017

I think these look much better and more in scale:

20181210_17281620181210_172823

I also noticed some damage after returning from Telford in the form of some missing fuselage decal, and a missing tail skid

20181210_172840

These will all be fixed in the next 24 hours and she will be ready for the long overdue RFI!

One final shot posing next to the T31

20181205_182926

Stay tuned for the RFI

Terry

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Courageous said:

So how did that bit of decal fall off Terry

I'm not really sure Stuart, but I reckon it become "cracked" when I put it on. It's very close to the lower edge which has a fairly sharp angle under, so maybe I didn't apply enough MiracleMicro Set! Plenty more where that came from though in the form of Modeldecal type D roundels!

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

So it'll be on to the Grasshopper now then, I can't wait.

John

Yes I think the Grasshopper will be the next glider, but a short break from gliders first. Need to get onto something that does fast and low in the aviation stakes................🤔

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I must bring this WIP to a close now! Those who have followed this closely will know I started this glider just about a year ago, and although it made Telford last November, there were a couple of things which needed putting right subsequent to the show. In putting them right, the wing also departed the fuselage and so some further work was needed. The last few month have been really busy, not least with being away during the week with some short term contract work. I'm happy to say, she's all done now.

Seen below back in the wing fixing jig, before the photoshoot for the RFI.

20190215_190039

RFI can be found here:

I need a break from Vac forms now!

Terry

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

This has been a joy to follow Terry, and brought back some happy memories.

John

Thanks John, really appreciate that. Although I'm planning a break from Vac forms for a bit, I'm sure I will do another glider at some point!

Terry

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Terry , I obviously missed this at the time but what a cracking result. 

I too have one of these kits to do seem to remember it got cut out and I realised it was a lot of work, a true old Vacform

From my 3822 my 1st Glider flight was in a Sedberg WB939 on 21/04/84  8 minutes and then a Cadet Mk111 WT868 on 07/10/84 3minutes, bother at Scampton. It didn't seem to matter we spent a whole day at Scampton for 3 minutes flying, how simple was youth !!!!

I then went on to do a gliding scholarship  at RAF Syerston the summer of 86,on the then brand new Fiberglass wonder the Viking, went up like a rocket and stayed there  going solo on the day of  the Prince Andrew royal wedding !!

After getting my wings had a 40 min trip in a Venture ZA 655 we just kept putting the engine on and climbing back up.....

Hope the Venture has been built, I know its not such a chore as the vacforms

Regards

Paul

• Thanks 1

Thanks @bigbadbadge and @Paulaero for your kind words. Whenever I show this build and my Mk3 at shows, they always get a good reaction from people like us who flew them way back. If either of you are IPMS members, this months magazine has a full build article of my T21 if you are interested.

I also have a Grob Viking and a Slingsby Mk 1 to build in 1/72, as well as the Aeroclub Slingsby Venture also in 1/72. I'll do WIP's on them when I eventually get round to building them.

Thanks again

Terry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks @bigbadbadge and @Paulaero for your kind words. Whenever I show this build and my Mk3 at shows, they always get a good reaction from people like us who flew them way back. If either of you are IPMS members, this months magazine has a full build article of my T21 if you are interested.

I also have a Grob Viking and a Slingsby Mk 1 to build in 1/72, as well as the Aeroclub Slingsby Venture also in 1/72. I'll do WIP's on them when I eventually get round to building them.

Thanks again

Terry

Terry, who did the Viking ?

j

43 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Terry, who did the Viking ?

j

I bought the Viking at last year's Telford show and I think it is the Heritage Aviation release:

IMG20200402100732 IMG20200402100823 IMG20200402100832 IMG20200402100846

It looks like a very nice little kit, and you get two chances at the canopy!

There is also a bit about it here:

Worth getting one I reckon.

Terry