Welcome to the Jungle – RA-5C Vigilante - completed

trickyrich

20 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I think it looks superb Rich.  I can see what you mean about the scalloping and with hindsight it might have been an idea to lightly lift the  edge of the tape mask to allow the demarcation to be softer but I don't think I would go back and redo It - there is always the chance that it might ruin an excellent model.  

Looking forward to seeing the reveal in the gallery...

From what I can tell from looking at the photos of RVAH-13 aircraft, the scalloped demarcation line was a hard edge or the equivalent of a hard edge in this scale. The scalloping varies between 2 (or maybe 3) different aircraft, one being a bit courser than the other. RVAH-6 aircraft on the other hand had straight or almost straight demarcation lines which were soft with a Green/Green or Green/Green/Grey scheme, which would have been easier to do but I didn't like the scheme.

Being test schemes there was quite some variation which make modelling them not so easy. I'm not sure how durable they were either as midway through RVAH-6's deployment they removed the camouflage off the test aircraft with solvent soaked rags! The test scheme was just painted over the original Grey and was from memory a water based paint.

I'm probably going to redo the demarcation line, going over the photos again I think I have enough space to drop down the camouflage part of the scallop so I may not have to redo the white. Will do some tests and see. The only decals I have to worry about are the nose number, I'll give them an extra coat of clear to protect them.

I'll do some more work on her next weekend, currently I'm playing with my Trumpy Su-24M, which for those that don't know has lots of accuracy issues! I have about 7 mod kits to help try and correct these issues, complete new nose section from intakes forward, new nose probe, new intakes, complete new exhaust section, new engine cans, new wheels, new cockpit and wheel wells...... and I probably forgotten something as well. Oh and a full set of masks for the Ukraine Digital scheme. Just a simple project to help clear the mind.

• Like 2

ok after a bit of a brain wave today at work I've fixed the scalloping issues! After some careful  checking of the reference photos I found there was room to do what I wanted. 

The pitch is now perfect and while it's a little bit courser than it should be. it looks fine. It ended up costing me a couple of the smaller decals but that's easy to sort out.

IMG_1592-L.jpg

I still have the final bit to finish, I didn't do anything on her last long weekend, instead I worked on the beast behind! Trumpeter's Su-24M with full correction kits and AM stuff, sort of makes this build seem like a walk in the park!

I'll finish this build off this weekend.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Sverrir said:

Wow! This looks more convincing, I have just completed my Trumpeter 1/72 RA-5C and I would post a pic just for fun but I haven't found out how to, so... 

Have a read of the FAQ here, then have a go.  You might want to consider starting a new topic in Ready for Inpsection (if your model is finished), and link to it here.  I don't know about the rest of the members, but I get a bit confused when people post pics of their models in other people's threads :wacko:

Rich - lovely work and good save on the wavy lines ;)

• Like 2

thanks Mike. I'm super happy how it came out as I really didn't want to remove any paint work as I couldn't re-match it up. But with some careful touchup work I got what I was originally wanting. It's not 100% at all but to the eye it looks right and that's what I was after.

Now i just need to push the Su-24 out of the way and finish her!

• Like 1

…and that’s it she’s done!

These last few bits were the hardest, not work wise but just getting the motivation to complete them. There are quite a few things I’m not particularly happy with in this build, but overall I’m quite pleased how she turned out. For quite a while she looked like she may have been a “Shelf Queen” or I may have just solid the model. There was quite a lot wrong with the model, not accuracy wise but with the model itself. Not an easy model to build at all, plus to add “aftermarket” bit not even meant for the model was making a difficult task even more difficult.

But in the end I’ve got an accurate RA-5C Vigilante in a rare and unusual scheme that fits into my odd-ball collection of aircraft, so who couldn’t be happy with that.

IMG_1594-XL.jpg

IMG_1608-XL.jpg

IMG_1607-XL.jpg

IMG_1598-XL.jpg

More photos are in the Gallery and RFI section.

…and I couldn’t help this, the two premier Photo Recon aircraft of there time and they never meet in competition either.

IMG_1610-XL.jpg

IMG_1611-XL.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This looks great in the gallery pictures. I'mglad you redid the scallops as it really does make a big difference. 

Excellent work on this older kit.

Colin 

• Thanks 1

thanks guys.

I managed to clear some space for her on the shelf, but boy things are getting tight there (and pretty dusty too)!!!

IMG_1615.jpg

hmm maybe it's not such a good idea to go after a 1/48th RB-57 I've seen!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Excellent job on that jungle-camouflaged RA-5C (I have that decal sheet in 1/72nd and plan on doing an RA-5 in the one true scale someday)! Nice display shelf also, no matter how busy, and I love that FJ Fury drone-controller - great colours!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Excellent job on that jungle-camouflaged RA-5C (I have that decal sheet in 1/72nd and plan on doing an RA-5 in the on true scale someday)! Nice display shelf also, no matter how busy, and I love that FJ Fury drone-controller - great colours!

Regards,

Jason

thanks. Those decals were so nice to use. They went on with next to no setting solution needed, definitely no softening solution and hunkered down nicely. I do like the Fury scheme as well, but what an awful model to build she was!

• Like 1

Fantastic Rich!!!

Hard to top!

Maybe you need to spend dome modelling time to create a 2nd floor!

Your shelf of dust is definitely vezter then my bench of dust!

• Thanks 1

There's a shelf on the other side that is bigger and even more full! I may have to get another shelf and put it in my "office" to hold the overflow.......now how to explain all the models to SHMBO! :fight:

• Haha 1