Frog Barracuda on Tirpitz mission #FINISHED ! #

JOCKNEY

Stand by your beds everyone another GB is upon us. 

Is it me me or does there seem to be more of them and less time to finish things ? :hmmm:

I have gone for a real "Stash Queen" ie it's been hanging around for years, no doubt loosing bits every time it's been moved. However all is not lost as I have another one that should supply any missing parts. A couple of bits have been glues together but well below the 25% allowed.

IMG_3806

IMG_3807

I'm going for the Tirpitz version

IMG_3808

Good luck everyone 

cheers Pat

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

welcome aboard Pat, and first off the blocks as well!

Wow she is a classic, it should be fun to watch her being built.

good luck with the build and hope you have fun......I know you'll finish her! ;)

• Like 1

Cool subject choice Pat :speak_cool: 

Had a look through the vast array of parts this one consists of but can't see a canopy in there. It must be really thin and clear I hope :unsure:

• Like 1

Nice choice.  I built one of these before colour was invented.  Good luck with it.

My Dad was an aircraft electrician.  He always used to tell me the story that when working in the Barracuda he leaded back against the observers window, which was supposed to be kept latched, and fell backwards through the window to the tarmac below.  Thanks to the rather long undercarriage that was a long fall.  CPO came over - "Can you move your arms? Can you move you legs? - Well get up then and stop slacking"....

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Had a look through the vast array of parts this one consists of but can't see a canopy in there. It must be really thin and clear I hope :unsure:

it's the open top version.... :D

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Hi Col

Yes the clear parts were still in the bag in the base of the box along with other small loose items. First glance shows at least 1 undercarriage leg missing, bound to be other bits as well. I shall dig out the other one later today and take a picture of the parts of that one..

cheers Pat

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Col

Yes the clear parts were still in the bag in the base of the box along with other small loose items. First glance shows at least 1 undercarriage leg missing, bound to be other bits as well. I shall dig out the other one later today and take a picture of the parts of that one..

cheers Pat

Good reason to do an in-flight build perhaps Pat? Maybe even rig up a display stand showing your Barra dropping it's torpedo :mg: (went with the guns as there isn't a torpedo dropping smilely :( )

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

Good reason to do an in-flight build perhaps Pat? Maybe even rig up a display stand showing your Barra dropping it's torpedo :mg: (went with the guns as there isn't a torpedo dropping smilely :( )

Your right the stands missing as well ! :D

• Sad 1

Barracudas are a bit like buses....

You wait ages for one to turn up and 3 come along at the same time !

Having found the other Barracuda, upon opening the box there are 2 of them inside. Only one set of decals and instructions,  however they both look more complete than the one I've chosen to finish. Either way I should have one to help others out if they need spares and one to sell on to someone else bonkers enough to want to build one.

IMG_3809

IMG_3810

Also whilst rummaging in the stash other potential victims for this GB came to light

FROG

Blackburn Skua

Blackburn Shark

Westland Wyvern

Westland Wessex

Fairey Gannet

McDonnell Phantom F4K

Novo

Supermarine Attacker

Hawker Sea Fury

Airfix 

Hawker Seahawk

Matchbox

Walrus

Contrail

Blackburn Ripon & Baffin

Confirmation if I needed it the stash is out of control and for goodness sake don't tell Enzo, as you all know what he will say ! ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tirpitz was in a fjord surrounded by torpedo nets, so they dive-bombed her with a special 1600 lb bomb  supplied by the US.  Though I don't think there were enough to go around, so some of the aircraft will have carried standard bombs.  I've seen it said that there was one direct hit that penetrated near a magazine but failed to explode.  I've also seen it written (once, never confirmed, so I have my doubts) that the bomb turned out to have been filled with sand.  Blowing the Tirpitz's magazines would have improved the Barra's reputation no end, wouldn't it?

• Like 2

That 'Supermarine' Seahawk in your stash is actually a Hawker Seahawk and would look lovely next to your Hunter in another GB. Just saying :whistle: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Also whilst rummaging in the stash other potential victims for this GB came to light

Some superb choices Pat I've been toying with the idea of getting the Skua.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Some superb choices Pat I've been toying with the idea of getting the Skua.

Nice choice Steve

I hope your not just going on looks !

I might have one in the Stash want me to look for you ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

The Barracuda. So ugly it’s beautiful!

I’ll look forward to your build.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor

Likewise with your own. Amazing number of builds and variety already in the GB.

Cheers Pat

Not the best looking plane out there Pat but alway's liked the look of it myself,Hopefully the Frog GB will be voted in so a few more I'd like

a go at will get built.

• Like 2

Hi Pat,

your stash reads like some paleo crypt from the knights Templar days... I can almost smell the musty, rank odor of old dust and visualise the spider webs everywhere.

Watch for scorpions and flesh eating scarabs!!!

And have fun!

JR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi Pat,

your stash reads like some paleo crypt from the knights Templar days... I can almost smell the musty, rank odor of old dust and visualise the spider webs everywhere.

Watch for scorpions and flesh eating scarabs!!!

And have fun!

JR

I will post some photos of the stash, recently visited by Martian Hale who needed a single malt to recover....

Or it could have been an excuse to have another wee dram ! ;)

• Like 1

Good luck with this.  I built the frog Barra a couple of years ago.  Nice wee kit, but a bit basic.

I built a bit of an interior and shortened the rear fuse by a whole 3mm; completely changed the look of the thing - not!

The engine intake also needed a bit of love.  The Aeroclub detail set was used for the main gear.

Good luck with your build.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies for the shocking lack of progress here, however an opportunity has presented itself so here is the progress so far

IMG_3853

Now, I'm no expert on torpedos but I don't suppose they were supposed to have a big hole in the bottom were they ?

IMG_3854

Finger crossed hoping to get more progress today

cheers Pat

• Like 4