Airfix Ju87 Stuka 1/72 - Finished

7 hours ago, clive_t said:

Nice one, it scrubs up pretty good with a bit of primer on! :)

I’ve been really impressed with this kit so far. Would certainly recommend it. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve done the underside and I must say I love the way the paint has gone on. So far Vallejo seems much better than enamels. No smells, easy mixing, airbrush easy to clean and the finish is superb. 

27383511368_42b57ff22d_b.jpg

40361045365_b00efb2efe_b.jpg

I’ll leave it for a while now before masking up for the upper surfaces. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The first of the camouflage colours is on and all masked up ready for the second colour. I hope this Vallejo Model Air paint is good at taking masking tape!

I’ve always wanted to do the splinter camouflage, this is my first attempt, but it was much harder to mask than I anticipated. Excited for the finished result now. 

41602202702_1b47c5d2dc_b.jpg

• Like 2

Last coat of paint done and the nerve wracking experience of peeling the masking tape off completed.  :unsure:

All in all, very impressed with the paint and pleased with the result.  :party:

26800251537_24ef1f6154_b.jpg

27799028638_629afdf073_b.jpg

I’m particularly impressed with the underside as the masking tape had been on the for about a week. I did leave it to dry for 48hrs before applying any masking though. 

26800251327_4371cf4e35_b.jpg

All in all nothing negative to say about the Vallejo paints and Tamiya masking tape combo. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Finished the paint now. Next step a varnish layer before decals. 

27851329868_64f3890904_b.jpg

I’d realised my error in not spraying the yellow stripe on the spinner first. Nothing for it but to paint it by hand with a brush. Quite pleased with the result. 

27851320888_abfa2e6917_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, Mark4700 said:

Masking of the canopy done. Nearly an hour and a half of my life I won’t get back. 

40925760621_3ee868076d_b.jpg

You may want to be aware that the Stuka had both internal and external framing for the canopy.  Many modellers mask the internal canopy frames as external ones (it does not help that most if not all model companies compound that error by molding the internal frames externally).  I've added a picture from an LSP where the modeller has correctly depicted the canopy frames.  HTH.

909-11.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wm Blecky said:

You may want to be aware that the Stuka had both internal and external framing for the canopy.  Many modellers mask the internal canopy frames as external ones (it does not help that most if not all model companies compound that error by molding the internal frames externally).  I've added a picture from an LSP where the modeller has correctly depicted the canopy frames.  HTH.

909-11.jpg

Thanks for the advice. However the canopy has already been masked and painted, and this is a closed cockpit so I’m sure it look okay. 

The inside of of yours looks amazing, please tell me it’s not 1/72 or I’m giving up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made a bit more progress over the last couple of days. At this time of year my modelling slows down as I spend more of my spare time cycling. 

The decals have been applied. These went on very nicely, although it did take some effort to get them to mould into the panel lines. As you can see I also added the tail swastika. 

41956192532_721b4b3e94_b.jpg

41956193292_78be7bb5ab_b.jpg

I also noticed that on pictures of the real thing, the crosses under the wings are also on the air brakes. So having some spares in the stash, I cut them down and added them there too. 

41956186242_dfdbaf69a1_b.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice paint job! Looks nice with decals on! :)

Håkan

Thank you. I’m really pleased with how it’s gone. 

Weathering now done. Tried not to overdo it this time as it’s always easy to do. 

42001067941_3aff4044da_b.jpg

42001068981_4fda81f4a9_b.jpg

Just the top layer of varvish, unmasking windows ans aerial to sort out now. 

• Like 2

Well that’s it, I’m calling this one as done. 

This is the first Stuka of any kind that I have ever built. And I must say that it was a joy to build. It’s also the first time that I’ve done a ‘splinter’ camouflage scheme. I’m pleased with the result, but it was much more difficult that I had anticipated. Plus there was a lot of masking involved. 

It was also my first build using Vallejo Model Air paints. Now I am a total convert. They were easy to apply, robust enough to withstand the aforementioned masking and no smell. In fact the smell that came off them was rather pleasant, like a mild air freshener!

Back to the kit itself. I can’t compare this to any other Stuka builds, but I didn’t encounter any issues at all apart from the incorrectly moulder part that was replaced by Airfix in a couple of days. In view of this I can’t do anything but recommend this kit. 

Here’s a couple of pictures of the finished kit. I’ll post some better ones in ready for inspection when I get the chance. 

42083928802_ca2e4ffdc2_b.jpg

42083931802_0d1682b97b_b.jpg

27259679107_6584549a67_b.jpg

Many thank to those who’ve followed the build and especially those who’ve offered comment and assistance. 

• Like 3

Mighty fine work! Got to check out those Vallejo Air paints, and must promote my Airfix Stukas to the front of the stash. 

On 3/19/2018 at 6:27 AM, neil5208 said:

Are the seat belt details moulded on? 

Both - Airfix thoughtfully provides you with two pilot seats, one with seatbelts and a plain one to use with the included pilot figure. 

On 3/16/2018 at 10:01 PM, bbudde said:

Oh I'm in here for that Just want to see how the new Airfix turns out in the end . Good start The old Revell Ju 87 B-2 Desert scheme was my first model ever with 7-8 years or so. I know the old Airfix, Fujimi and Italeri, but this seems to be the best one out of the box imho. Cheers

Plus, this is the first mainsteam early Ju 87B-1. All the above are the Ju 87B-2 variant. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Aye, for a rather ugly aircraft she's turned out quite a little beauty, nice work Mark B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. I agree it is an ugly aircraft, but design wise it’s excellent at doing what it was built to do. I think a bit like the A-10 Thunderbolt in that respect. Pig ugly, but devastatingly good ar what it was designed to do. 

20 hours ago, Hook said:

Mighty fine work! Got to check out those Vallejo Air paints, and must promote my Airfix Stukas to the front of the stash. 

Thanks Andre. To be honest it was the paints that most impressed me with this build. Not going back to my enamels now. Plus my wife is happy as they don’t stink the house out :thumbsup: