Airfix Ju87 Stuka 1/72 - Finished

My first work in progress in which I’ll be using Vallejo Model Air paints that I’ve just switched over to. 

For this I’ve plucked the Airfix Stuka from the stash. 

40781661032_2bbdcb5b66_b.jpg

I’ve never built a Stuka before, so I’m really looking forward to this one. 

26953961348_3b51a1111d_b.jpg

The kit kit seems well up to the usual standards Airfix are setting with their new release kits. There’s no flash, and all the mouldings seem very clean and crisp. 

39928786925_abc733c3c5_b.jpg40114562374_b8ef3dcbc3_b.jpg40823541791_420e9641bd_b.jpg

The clear sprue also seems very impressive. 

40114561674_f6474fa165_b.jpg

I’m going to build this straight out of the box, a nice quick build while another kit is on hold waiting for the right paint to arrive. 

Edited by Mark4700
  • Thanks 1

Off the starting blocks tonight with the interior. No issues yet, and I love the ease of use of the Vallejo paints. So far so good. 

40804897282_230329f959_b.jpg

Just a bit of detailing and weathering to go, then it can go together. 

• Like 5

Oh I'm in here for that Just want to see how the new Airfix turns out in the end . Good start The old Revell Ju 87 B-2 Desert scheme was my first model ever with 7-8 years or so. I know the old Airfix, Fujimi and Italeri, but this seems to be the best one out of the box imho. Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice choice :popcorn: think i’ll watch. I use Vallejo for about 90% of my painting. If you have an questions be glad to offer help. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I did a lot of research before I invested in the Vallejo paints. So far I’m very impressed. I dare say I will have a few issues, so stand by for a question or two.

• Like 1

A little bit of progress tonight. 

I’ve used a brown wash on the cockpit area, the dry brushed Numbrol enamel silver to show wear and tear. I’m still learning what works with washes and weathering but on the whole I’m leased with how it’s gone. 

Here’s a picture before it all went together. 

26011773517_9a2a013bdf_b.jpg

And now I’ve got it all fastened up. I’m quite pleased with how this is going so far. 

40888390071_1b24eb8ef6_b.jpg

I’m days off for the next three days, so hoping to make a bit of progress on this one. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Are the seat belt details moulded on? 

They’re moulded. I did consider sanding them off and adding my own, but in the end I decided to go with what the kit provided. 

I’ve managed another couple of hours on it today. It’s coming together very nicely. I’m very impressed with the way this kit is going together and it looks like there will be minimal filling and sanding, which is excellent news. 

40011502555_ea4bf3de68_b.jpg

40011498525_4eaedfc3fc_b.jpg

The forward fuselage that contains the engine is very cleverly engineered and is a joy to put together. 

39095550310_ec4803dba0_b.jpg

• Like 6

This is really making me want to do a 1:72 again, but I fear the fingers are now too big and clumsy. It looks like a nice kit - lots of parts and detail for 1:72. I have a pair of 1:48 old tool Airfix Stukas sitting on the shelf - I'll make them some day :think:.

You say you have recently switched to Model Air - what paints did you use previously?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, monsjmse said:

This is really making me want to do a 1:72 again, but I fear the fingers are now too big and clumsy. It looks like a nice kit - lots of parts and detail for 1:72. I have a pair of 1:48 old tool Airfix Stukas sitting on the shelf - I'll make them some day :think:.

You say you have recently switched to Model Air - what paints did you use previously?

Thanks for your comments. I do 1/72 as it’s what I did as a kid in the 70’s, plus they don’t take up as much room. 

Before using Model Air I used Humbrol enamels. I’ve used these for years, brush painting. But when I switched to airbrushing the smell was too strong. Model Air actually smells pleasant when it’s sprayed, almost like there’s an air freshener in it. 

Got most of it built now. It needed very little filling and sanding, a nice change. 

41014937262_b44408b142_b.jpg

41014937942_4281bb9247_b.jpg

All that’s left now before the paint is to fit the canopy. 

However, I have discovered a problem with the moulding. The part on the sprue looks like there is a huge amount missing. I’ve emailed Airfix and am awaiting a reply. 

26186126737_fb297f3b56_b.jpg

So no option now but to put the build on hold. 

• Like 1

Don´t let that setback your build, begin painting the model, and when the replacement arrives, you´ll only have to spend a couple of minutes on it before gluing it and finishing the kit.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

Damn that is a shame, it was coming along nicely - however as Sturmy says above, you could still make some progress with the painting... if my eyes serve me correctly, is it the reflector gun/bombsight and the padded guard for it that is mis-moulded? You might be able to do the underside painting while you are waiting for a response from Airfix :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Following with interest - I have the previous version of this (code A03030A), which I believe is a re-box from the 1970s tooling. Which markings are you going with?

• Like 1

I’ve heard back from Airfix and they’ve posted me the new part already! I should get it in the next couple of days. Very impressive customer support. As long as it arrives as promised. I’ll keep you posted. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clive_t said:

Following with interest - I have the previous version of this (code A03030A), which I believe is a re-box from the 1970s tooling. Which markings are you going with?

I’m going for the German markings from France in 1940. This new tool kit is a pleasure to put together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Airfix for the super fast delivery of the broken part, the cockpit is now complete and canopy fitted. 

40293046385_e261d52653_b.jpg

I did have to leave the gun port out. I decided to fit it along with the machine gun when the kit was fully painted. 

So to preserve the interior I filled the gap with some sponge. 

40293234265_2d8e0574ac_b.jpg

Next job, undercoat. 

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 4