1/48 RAF Phantom markings

Lord Riot

Good morning all

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one of these sets of markings for phamous phighter squadrons in 1/48 please?

It doesn't have to be these specific aircraft in terms of serials, just the unit markings. I tried Hannants and RAM and eBay but to no avail.

5d757s.jpg

106zk87.jpg

168yfpy.jpg

Hi, if you have the equipment to print your own decals have a look at Richard Caruana ´s homepage. He is an aircraft illustrator (rjcaviationart). You can find a free RAF Phantom sheet to print out. Look for "decal art archive". Regards Stefan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to help out fellow modellers, heres the link to Richards page, Just click on the blue numbers....................click on his link for Richards homepage for lots of other goodies(such as how to make your own decals)

https://sites.google.com/site/rjcaviationart/decalarchive

• Like 2

They look brilliant but I've no idea how to print decals, or onto what. Surely sticky paper would be too thick, and how do you get them to soak off in water like normal kit ones?

Have look for "Decal paper" via your favourite search engine- Amazon have a some at around £1 for an A4 Sheet.  They are supposed to work with Inkjet printers.

I didn't realise it was that available- I may have found my latest rabbit hole in this hobby!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

They look brilliant but I've no idea how to print decals, or onto what. Surely sticky paper would be too thick, and how do you get them to soak off in water like normal kit ones?

As I have mentioned to you before................Youtube is your best friend for just about EVERYTHING, not just modelling.........any problems enter into your life, its always happened to someone else first and chances are, the solution has been put on Youtube................heres another weekends viewing for you - have fun

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Xtradecal X48186 is due for release which includes markings for a grey 111Sqn and a grey/green 43Sqn jet.

The following sheets are out of production but do turn up on eBay occasionally: -

Airdoc 48007

Almark AKA4802

Xtradecal X00248

Xtradecal X00148

If you Google 1/48 RAF Phantom decals you can see what options are on the sheets.

• 2 weeks later...

Of the three schemes, I can only recall the 23 and 56 Squadron Grey/Green Tactical Scheme markings as appearing on the Maintrack Models Clearfix sheet D483 which came out in about 1988! For 23Sqn, Xtradecal sheet X48071 mentioned by At Sea could be used though, with some large white codes and the standard Tactical Scheme markings. As far as I know, the 29 Squadron final version, has, alas, never been issued in any scale. I think it's the best of their all-grey schemes and I'd love to have those markings available.

For the sheets mentioned by Scarlet, the options are (all Tactical Scheme except where noted):

Airdoc 48007: RAFG Squadrons; II(AC), 14, 17, 19 (Both), 31, 92 (Both)

Almark AKA4802: 19 (AD Greys), 41, 54, 56 (AD greys), 64, 92 Sqns

Xtradecal X00248: 43, 111 Sqns (Anniversary schemes)

Xtradecal X00148: 43 (FG.1), 111 Sqn (FGR.2)

The last two are still available from Hannants.

Unfortunately at the moment Hannants don't yet see a case for up-scaling their new FG.1/FGR.2 sheets to 1/48 because the Hasegawa kit is only issued sporadically as a limited issue and isn't currently available. Hopefully sheet X48186 will be successful in indicating otherwise as there's not a lot out there for the Air Defence Squadron markings. At the very least I hope they consider scaling up the stencil sets since AirDoc's sheet is long out of print and doesn't show any signs of ever reappearing.

I just hope we don't have to wait for new decals until Zoukei-Mura eventually gets round to the Spey Phantom versions as they could be a long, long way off.

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to make a small correction to XV571’s post above (sorry Jonathon). As I have a copy of the Maintrack Models Clearfix sheet D483, I would like to confirm that it does have 29 Squadron markings on it. There are markings for both the Grey/Green scheme, and also pre and immediately post Falklands for the Grey Ghost scheme (albeit all of these are not of the best quality!).

They are, however, the only decals that have ever been mass-produced for 29 Squadron (FGR2’s) in 1/48th scale. Something I would love to see rectified one day! :crying:

Regards,

29Triplex.

Edited by 29Triplex
spelling error

In response to many requests Xtradecal are adding another new 1:48 Phantom decal sheet, X48190. This is now illustrated on Hannants web site and is due early in June 2018. It includes ten aircraft all in the low vis grey camo scheme. This scheme was chosen because with only small roundels it is possible to get a lot more squadrons on it.

David Hannant

• Like 1