1/24 Morris Minor 1000 (Series V)...HELP!

Courageous

Hi All...I need help.

Firstly, I am a complete novice at building cars having never built one before but have decided for some bizarre reason, to build a 1/24 Morris Minor 1000 for the 'other half' as a present, it being the first car she owned.

Now, as far as I was aware, no model kits exist for said car but I stumbled across a chap at Telford who was selling resin body shells in 1/24 scale. In his sales stash was a 2-door Morris Minor in 1/24 that came with some smaller resin parts! A start, so I snapped it up. Now I needed parts, and some car chaps, also at Telford, suggested using the Morris Mini by Tamiya as a donor, and I got one of them...great! The resin parts are not the best I've seen and will need a lot of cleaning up but I have concerns in using the the wheels/ tyres, options? It doesn't look like I can use the windows from the Mini but it shouldn't be too difficult to do the side windows but what about those curved front/ rear windows? As a side question, what is the best method to reproduce the effect of carpet in 1/24?

TIA

Stuart

Now I'm no car builder (says he working on a 1/16 Cortina and some other stuff.)

Mini wheels are too small at 10" diameter. There are vehicle guys who will point you in the direction of a source.

Carpet. Look at dolls house furniture on evilbay or similar. Bound to have what you need.

The A series Mini engine is as good as you will get I suspect.

Windows can be made from acetate sheet or food packaging. Put some masking tape over the openings and draw a line around it. Make an oversized  template and trim to fit, then transfer to the acetate.

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys.

That's the carpet sorted.

Side windows are flat  so they will be easily done. Think I will have to experiment using acetate and these front/ rear windows, both are curved but rear is more so. What would be the best method to support these windows, would it be best to make a small inner lip for them to sit on?

As for the wheels, we'll see as although the VW may be the same size, are they the same style?

What do you guys suggest for a chrome finish; metal foil, chrome paint pen...?

Stuart

I remember Revell did a kit of the Morris 1000 Traveller. I had one but various bits were missing. Not sure what the scale was..about 1/32 maybe?

24 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I remember Revell did a kit of the Morris 1000 Traveller. I had one but various bits were missing. Not sure what the scale was..about 1/32 maybe?

Mine is the Revell kit in 1/43

8 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Morning :bye:

Maybe the wheels & tyres from a Tamiya beetle? 

Sacriledge!  ;-)

The Mini wheels will not work as too small, the Beetle are also not really an option as they look quite different.

The Moggie 1000 has hubcaps with an M motive - I doubt any other car used these:

whl_104_5_11.jpg

Standard wheel size for the Morris is 5,20-14 4PR / 145SR14 (according to my papers for my 1966 Traveller).

The windscreen is just slightly curved in one way (I guess the same is true for the rear window of the Saloon) - so if you use not too brittle clear plastic it should be easy enough to just bend them in shape while the glue sets.

Post pics please!

René

• Thanks 1

Not sure who you may have bought the resin Minor Body from at Telford,  but it may have been Andy Swindlehurst who had a box of odd resin bits like Anglia and Mk1 Cortina bodies within it that all looked a bit basic as well as the mainstream kits he was selling.

However, I do know of someone else who is developing a full resin kit of the Morris Minor. Look out the Motor Museum in Miniature as Rod and Ian Knott are presently working on this project. They showed me some of their trial mouldings at Telford and they look really good. The model will be in 1/24th scale. As you are already committed to probably someone else's kit, Rod and Ian might be able to help you out with regard to some wheels and other bits etc.

On the diecast front besides the 1/43rd scale offerings there may be a ready built die cast in a larger scale available such as 1/18th scale that might be a lot easier to work on. A trawl of the web might get some results.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 2

Noel, You maybe right about the seller and you're also right about the Motor Museum boys effort also but alas I had both the shell and donor before I met them.

Being the person I am, I tend to buy the best available at the time, which is what I did and I will build this subject with what I've got, even if that means a lot of effort. I will approach the MM guys about parts availability for my Moggy.

Stuart

With regards to the engine - the Tamiya one can be used as the Moggy and the Mini both had the A-Series unit but... the Mini was fwd so there'll be some conversion work needed with regards to the sump and transmission to fit it in the Minor.

Single carb can be sorted from the Tamiya set up or you could do a "tuned" set up and leave it with twin carbs and 3-1 manifold.

HTH 

IanJ

• Like 1

Stuart, I fully understand you wanting to get the best from what you already have committed to. If you contact Rod and Ian for any other supplementary bits for your Moggy, they are great guys who are easily approachable and I am sure that they would do their best to help you out.

• Like 1

Ian- thanks, but the resin casting has no opening bonnet and will be a bit too much effort to think about cutting the bonnet out.

Noel- thanks. I'll get in touch with the guys when the time comes which hopefully won't be too far away. Need to get a plane and a boat into the paint shop first before I start this. I'd like to do a WiP on the Moggy but being my first car subject, anything could and shall go wrong.

Stuart

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...