SE5a 1/48 Eduard

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

TBH although the WNW kits are incredible there's two things which have stopped me. Firstly the price, they're a small fortune, and secondly the scale. 1/32 really demands ultra detailing work - well it does to my mind. I personally think that 1/48 for WWI strikes a much happier medium, big enough that they're not hugely fiddly but not so big as to demand extensive amounts of detail work. Plus there's a big selection out there and they don't break the bank.

Personally I do like ultra detailing so for me WNW is the only way to go I can find at present.  You're right they are very expensive and they seem to sell out in double quick time, which leads to greedy buggers trying to flog them for twice or more than they paid!  But until I've developed my skill I'm looking at Eduard, Roden and Revell, the latter I've built, well my son bought a few and I helped him in his teenage years, i wasn't too impressed with them as I remember, the former two I've never built or even looked at.   Eduard do get good reviews but I've not seen anything about Roden have you got any experience of them?     

On 16/03/2018 at 9:38 PM, Smithy said:

A couple of things with McCudden's "G", he had Charles the engineering officer at 56 replace the Joyce control column with the spade grip type. Also G didn't have the quartered blue and white wheel covers as with the rest of B Flight (as RD's above).

If it was me I'd also reduce the length of the 56 identification symbol of the "dumbbell" on the fuselage when you do G. The photo of C flight in Alex Revell's history of 56, "High in the Empty Blue" on page 137 shows the dimensions of the dumbbell and it's logical that B Flight's dumbbell were of the same dimensions albeit blue rather than red. I'd also make the blue of the dumbbell the same colour as the blue on the wheel covers. I hope you don't mind my mentioning that but you said that you welcomed any comments.

Cheers and looking forward to pics of G once you get underway.

Tim

Smithy

Dumbells corrected as best as i can achieve.  Use HITEB as reference as suggested.

c171e0f1-2fc9-4297-9a53-f578bc2e6b54.JPG

de69dfda-ce5b-48d2-be72-73cd0089eafc.JPG

Sweaty

Edited by sweaty1
  • Like 2

Great looking build, I can't begin to imagine the patience and control required to put in all that rigging. Somewhere I have a picture of a Great Uncle standing in front of one of these, he actually never made it to France as he crashed en-route and was subsequently invalided out of the RFC - which I gather statically was the most likely cause of Death/Injury flying in those days.