SE5a 1/48 Eduard

Lovely depiction of Arthur Rhys Davids's SE at the time he bagged Voss. Rigging looks beautifully executed too.

I made RD's SE with the 1/72 Roden offering back in the day and gave it to my father. Sadly it got swept off the shelf and broke and I've got the 1/48 Hisso kit planned as the same build.

Nice work!

Not a Great War buff at all, but totally floored by this beautiful model.

The rigging looks just right and I do appreciate the aileron gaps being emphasised on the roundels.

Excellent modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks guys.  Next one is McCudden “G” B4683 for 23 Sep 17 A’s the Eduard SE5a Royal dual Combo has sufficient for two aircraft.  Lessons learnt from this build will be incorporated to hopefully produce a better one.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sweaty1 said:

Thanks guys.  Next one is McCudden “G” B4683 for 23 Sep 17 A’s the Eduard SE5a Royal dual Combo has sufficient for two aircraft.  Lessons learnt from this build will be incorporated to hopefully produce a better one.

A couple of things with McCudden's "G", he had Charles the engineering officer at 56 replace the Joyce control column with the spade grip type. Also G didn't have the quartered blue and white wheel covers as with the rest of B Flight (as RD's above).

If it was me I'd also reduce the length of the 56 identification symbol of the "dumbbell" on the fuselage when you do G. The photo of C flight in Alex Revell's history of 56, "High in the Empty Blue" on page 137 shows the dimensions of the dumbbell and it's logical that B Flight's dumbbell were of the same dimensions albeit blue rather than red. I'd also make the blue of the dumbbell the same colour as the blue on the wheel covers. I hope you don't mind my mentioning that but you said that you welcomed any comments.

Cheers and looking forward to pics of G once you get underway.

Tim

Edited by Smithy

Smithy

thanks for the help.  I’ll look at the control column and try and measure the dumbbells from HITEB.  The dumbbells I made on clear decal paper with a PC so are easily resized.  Might swap out the ones on this example.

Sweaty

Smithy

Hip flask is 6oz in brushed aluminium.  Material feels quite thin.

b5e18886-0ee8-4b63-be41-25aba2600cad.JPG

Front engraved with VC emblem and RFC flying badge

a811fdc4-ba47-4db4-aab5-063cea250a84.JPG

Hope this helps.

The models are very good quality, with plenty of interest.  PE, multiple colour schemes etc.

Sweaty

• Thanks 1

The rigging was done with 0.07mm fishing line.  Secured with Bobs Buckles (http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/) and 1mm lengths of 0,5mm brass tube.  The buckles are placed in 0.2 mm holes on the structure.  These were all ready in place but I did deepen them with a pin vice drill.  A dab of thin cyano from a needle used for glue.  Then the line was lightly painted with Tamiya steel grey acrylic and the buckles in aluminium to finish the effect.

Fiddley to do but satisfying to finish.

Edited by sweaty1

9 minutes ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Thanks mate, I'm putting together a shopping list to rekindle my WW1 aircraft building I stopped over 30 odd years ago!  I'm not really ready for WNW but Eduard look like being a good starting point. 

TBH although the WNW kits are incredible there's two things which have stopped me. Firstly the price, they're a small fortune, and secondly the scale. 1/32 really demands ultra detailing work - well it does to my mind. I personally think that 1/48 for WWI strikes a much happier medium, big enough that they're not hugely fiddly but not so big as to demand extensive amounts of detail work. Plus there's a big selection out there and they don't break the bank.

A wooden wonder. I like the effect on the prop blades and the weathering, not even speaking of a perfect rigging. I still don't dare do a biplane but I have two of these Eduard se5a in my stash. Wonderful job on a nice kit.