Bandai 1/60 mkii Gundam

I'm still chipping away at the Gundam and made a start on the head. I did a little bit of shading and it's subtle but visible in reality but not very obvious in the pictures as the light washes it out.

these are the sides of the head

20180607_152939

And fit over these

20180607_152947

Like so 

20180607_171508

the fin on the head has been painted with Repsol orange at the base and then fading into yellow at the ends but my camera seems to struggle with it as its not visible in the pics

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, rockpopandchips said:

He looks stunning mate! Really like what you have done to the frame, it will be a shame to cover it in.

We need some Zeon 1/60 scale kits! 

Thanks mate 

It was the frame that I was looking forward to painting more than the rest of the kit and I'm really happy with it but as you say it's a shame to have to cover it up as the ball cockpit and frame details around it are really well produced by Bandai on this but I'll only be fitting half of the main suit so at least some of the frame will be seen

Pete

edit :. Yes definitely need more large Zeon suits. It's only the Zaku so far isn't it ?

Edited by Brundledonk

And made a start on the armour. Grey primer, black preshade and then White over that

20180611_124633

The last stage was to gently over spray with white but with a drop of light grey in the mix to knock the colour back a bit 

20180611_124730

Looks a bit better after a wash, decals and flat coat

20180611_174851

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

More armour parts in various stages of finish

20180611_174930

Forearm armour all finished

20180612_153004

And clipped on for a quick butchers. daylight lamp washes away all my shading lol

20180612_162802

20180612_163352

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

The part for the centre of the shield was painted with the gunze sea blue over white primer the same as the chest armour 

20180612_134156

Then some decals and a flat coat

20180612_191638

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

All in all some decent progress but not as far long as I'd hoped. I was planning to get all the armour painted by last weekend but real life put a spanner in the works ( as it tends to do ) , and the decals are a real ball ache to work with as they silver terribly on the darker areas so a lot of back and forth with sol to try and get them to behave has taken me a lot longer than it normally would for markings but it's all for the greater good and I'm still very much enjoying my first foray into the workd of Gunpla.

the remaining armour parts are painted and just need a little fettling, some decals and a Matt coat so I'll hopefully get that done tomorrow

Pete

• Like 3

From here it's coming on really well, almost seems like a shame to cover up that amazing inner frame :) I've had some luck using Tamiya extra-thin on extreme cases of silvered Bandai decals, but it needs a delicate touch.

FWIW your pics with shading are coming out on my monitor - i.e. I could see the grey shading on the head, and the yellow-orange on the V-fin. So it might not be your camera but your screen?

Cheers,

Will

17 hours ago, Will Vale said:

From here it's coming on really well, almost seems like a shame to cover up that amazing inner frame :) I've had some luck using Tamiya extra-thin on extreme cases of silvered Bandai decals, but it needs a delicate touch.

FWIW your pics with shading are coming out on my monitor - i.e. I could see the grey shading on the head, and the yellow-orange on the V-fin. So it might not be your camera but your screen?

Cheers,

Will

Cheers Will,

The decals are aftermarket ones I got from China and aren't like anything I've encountered before they are really thick and tough, most of them are working ok but for some of them I'm using X-20a thinner and it's helping a bit but even with that they aren't sitting perfectly. I have heard of t extra thin used on decals but lack the confidence to use it myself lol.

the shading doesn't show well on my iPad or Chromebook but neither have particularly good displays so It's more than likely that's the problem. The v-fin is bright Repsol orange for A third at the root where it meets the red Jewel and then fades to yellow for the remaining 2 thirds and in hand it's really obvious but on my screen it just looks an orange yellow colour all over

Pete

6 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Awesome!

f15WzTo.jpg

Thank you for the amazing thumbs up mate 😃

Got the bar that goes over the ankle painted and used a bit of grey wash on the inside to define the detail a little bit just in case it can be seen once fitted

20180614_105850

Decals added

20180614_122336

Again the shading isn't really showing on my screen but this was taken away from the daylight lamp I can see it in this pic but it still looks a lot more subtle than in hand ( no pun intended)

20180614_122414

20180614_123849

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

Rest of the armour parts all painted up

20180615_131904

Decals, wash and a flat coat all sorted. I managed to burn through to the preshade on the edge when I micro meshed a few of these parts but I will be adding some chipping on the extreme edges anyway so it's all good

20180615_151549

20180615_151603

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Details, details. Love that subtle shading on the armour.

Thanks Pete, 

i have a confession to make though, on all the armour my final coat was white with a dot of grey just to knock back the White but I forgot to do it on the feet parts lol so they are a touch brighter than they should be ( can see it in the next pic ) but I'm hopeful I will be able to fix it with a filter at the end 

Pete

• Like 1

Leg armour is all fitted on the front ( back still waiting for decals ) and as I mentioned to Pete above the feet are a little too white

Waist armour is just hanging on here the rear parts still need to be painted

20180615_154734

Its not a million miles away as I only sprayed on a light coat of the off white and from the side it looks fine

20180615_155133

Edited by Brundledonk

I agree with Will Vale's comment.

20 hours ago, Will Vale said:

...almost seems like a shame to cover up that amazing inner frame...

If I was building this model (as well as you have been Pete), I would have all its right side uncovered. But my reasons would be different to your own.

Regardless, what you are doing with this creation is, and will continue to be, stunning.

On 15 June 2018 at 10:15 PM, Getunderit said:

I agree with Will Vale's comment.

If I was building this model (as well as you have been Pete), I would have all its right side uncovered. But my reasons would be different to your own.

Regardless, what you are doing with this creation is, and will continue to be, stunning.

In a perfect world it would be nice to have 2 so one could be displayed fully covered and one with just the inner frame but it's ok with just half showing. I honestly gave no thought to which side would remain uncovered it was truly an unconscious decision, I'm left handed so when I fitted the armour I automatically used my right hand to hold the body and my left to fit the armour and that's how it came to be. it means the shield will end up on his right arm and the gun in the other so my Gundam is going to be left handed too lol.

thank you for the kind words mate, much appreciated 

Pete

• Like 2

It doesn't look like I've done much but all the remaining white armour now has decals, a bit of wash  and has been sealed with a couple of coats of Matt varnish (Tamiya ) 

20180617_125425

Not many parts in the pic above as I've fitted the others to the suit ( shoulders and waist blue tacked on ) leg panels open

20180617_130215

20180617_130326

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3