Bandai 1/60 mkii Gundam

I've been away from my bench for awhile as I could no longer dodge the DIY job needed in my front room so had to deal with that before I could get back down in the cave and back to the Gundam.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that the markings in this kit were stickers, I didn't really want to use them but do want markings on my robot so got these from China

they aren't the same as the supplied ones but the sheet is a lot bigger and therefore has a much bigger choice of markings

20180518_105539

Next step on the Gundam is the legs and the instructions show the parts built as a pair up to a certain point

( hips to knees ) then the next stages split into left and right legs over a few pages, so I decided to get all of that bit built and painted  and then Do the left and right bits just in case I got things mixed up

bits all cut off the frame and cleaned up

20180518_103107

Hips are split in half to allow movement so I decided to do a two tone finish on them using aluminium and steel to match the arms and feet.

outer parts based In gloss black

20180518_123549

And a coat of Alclad aluminium

20180518_163759

Edited by Brundledonk

And the middle bit in steel

20180518_164340

One side resting on just to have a butchers and it looks pretty jamjulla to me

20180518_164440

A bit of crafty masking and some more bits done in the same 2 tone 

20180518_164457

Gold chains were added and all snapped together

20180518_171005

Edited by Brundledonk

I did the cylinders and ends of the Pistons in gold ( same as the arms )

20180518_172650

All assembed ( the chrime Pistons will show when the legs are moved )

20180518_173208

Knees are are done the same way ( no details painted yet )

20180518_180729

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

They look very dark in the above pic but match the feet nicely. I'll pick out some details in aluminum later

20180518_180757

The reason I was waiting to paint the details was due to these bits, they go over the knees and I wanted to see what was visible after they went on before I got stuck in with a brush.

20180519_123210

20180519_124029

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Brundledonk said:

Hi Dazz,

Not given any thought to the pilot yet but will do a bit of research and decide when I get nearer to that bit. I'm pretty sure I will leave some of the armour off as its seems a shame to hide the frame after the time that will have gone into painting it.

Pete

Some inspiration. .

hangar7.jpg

On the Argama at the beginning of the Gryps conflict. 

Here's the whole post-

https://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2013/08/rg-1144-zeta-gundam-hangar-bay-diorama.html?m=1

Or my favorite at Anaheim during a refit.

91ff95fb876089f1d0ed429ab05ed38d.jpg

a8b961cb94973f05f75793540b6171abd2003a77

My vote is for Emma's machine. One of my favorite female characters of all time.

emma-sheen-preorder-ships-30-jan.jpg

A no nonsense tough as nails mobile suit pilot.

• Like 3

Everything snapped together and those parts around the knee cover most of it so I only picked out a little bit in aluminium

20180519_125214

20180519_125150

And it matches the arms nicely so a bit of a Brucie bonus all round

20180519_125237

Im on a bit of a winning streak as it matches the feet too

20180519_125303

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

next up was the left and right parts which are the lower legs, i did them both together but was careful not to mix up the parts.

all painted as per the previous bits

27342902287_30f99fdd64_b.jpg20180519_163447 

details picked out in aluminium and fitted to upper leg

42167662222_acfc0282a1_b.jpg20180519_163707

and all put together

28341164058_7b64c02aaf_b.jpg20180519_174524[/

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

the other leg needs some details painting but ill do that tomorrow. its coming together nicely but a long way to and the box is still full of parts this hasn't made much of a dent to be honest

Pete

2 minutes ago, Hunter Rose said:

Some really stunning metalic paint work, its nice and varied and looks great!

thanks Hunter, with hindsight I would have approached it in a different way and used black as my base instead of steel as I think it needs a heavier contrast but I'm not unhappy how it looks so far

Pete

Looking very good there Brundledonk. The paintwork is very impressive. The effort and work gone into is definitely worth it.

I agree with Thud and personally vote Emmas machine as she was a great pilot. I don't think there is any differences between the pilots machines however?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

On 20 May 2018 at 11:00 AM, Dazzio said:

Looking very good there Brundledonk. The paintwork is very impressive. The effort and work gone into is definitely worth it.

I agree with Thud and personally vote Emmas machine as she was a great pilot. I don't think there is any differences between the pilots machines however?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Cheers Dazz, I will get some pin washes on everything once I've got the whole frame completed and this will hopefully add a bit of definition and depth as its all looking a bit toylike at the moment but worst case scenario I can always just cover it with the armour

im sticking closely to the original colours for the armour ( just a few small colour changes on the details ) but will go with you and Thud and have Emma as the pilot. I'm guessing If the mobile suits are the same then it's just the colour of the unifirm that determines the pilot ?

Pete

Kamille and Emmas machine is actually the same machine. In the beginning of the show she pilots a Rick Dias, but after the Zeta Gundam is built she's given the Mk.II by Kamille. It's at this point that the Mk.II can dock with the G-Defenser to make the Super Gundam. This is a very watered down version of what happens. I can't remember if Emma is a Newtyle or not... Thud? Just a shame what happens to her. :(

I've started building the XM-1 Crossbone Full Cloth Gundam, now that's toy like. 😕

Kind Regards,

Dazz

On 21 May 2018 at 9:58 PM, Dazzio said:

Kamille and Emmas machine is actually the same machine. In the beginning of the show she pilots a Rick Dias, but after the Zeta Gundam is built she's given the Mk.II by Kamille. It's at this point that the Mk.II can dock with the G-Defenser to make the Super Gundam. This is a very watered down version of what happens. I can't remember if Emma is a Newtyle or not... Thud? Just a shame what happens to her. :(

I've started building the XM-1 Crossbone Full Cloth Gundam, now that's toy like. 😕

Kind Regards,

Dazz

i really need to get stuck into the Anime, i watched a few episodes of the UC series and should try and see them all.

had to google the xm-1 and i have to say the skull and crossbones are very novel lol

Pete

edit : I couldn't remember the name of the Gundam anime I've been watching lol but I just checked and its Stardust Memory 

Edited by Brundledonk

On 5/21/2018 at 10:08 PM, rockpopandchips said:

No spoilers please I'm onto ep 30 of Zeta...... 🤫😱 so far its not as good as SDM or 8th MS but it's better than 00 and Wing.....

BRUNDLEDONK, you frame is looking stunning.

Cheers Brian

3 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

Either your hands are very, very small, or that PG kit is going to be massive when finished!

Mart

hehehe, my hands are pretty average sized so i think it's going to be a bit of a beast once its all together i'm guessing at least a foot tall

i have been outside painting the garage today but did find time to work on the Gundam so here's where its at

there are some movable covers that go over the ankles and these were based in steel

27417568837_0ab965b43b_b.jpg

then over sprayed lightly with aluminium

41385539655_e74410a150_b.jpg

these bits go over the holes on the insides of the knees and were sprayed in the old faithful combo of steel/aluminium and the hoses in pale gold

27417565327_777a1895eb_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk

the backs can hardly be seen but i painted them (roughly) just in case 

41385535345_928ebcb774_b.jpg

these go on the outsides of the knees and incorporate the thrusters they also slide in and out of the cavity in the knees. all painted in the now familiar steel, aluminium and gold. the cover over the thruster is armour ( well i think it is ) so i painted it white

40481766770_610522277a_b.jpg

a view of the front

41566569744_d4a1b8c254_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2