Bandai 1/60 mkii Gundam

The to do list is getting much smaller now but there's still a fair bit left to do. The waist amd shoulder armour has detailed parts that fit to the back so I need to get those painted then there still the shield to build and paint along with the bazooka, pulse rifle, and casing for the back pack as well as a couple of figures.

hopefully I'll be back on it tomorrow and and get it closer to finished but I'll see what pans out

cheers me dears 

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i had to go out and buy some enamel paint and all i could get was good old Humbrol. i haven't used this since i was a nipper and have never airbrushed with enamel before so was a little bit nervous  lol.

humbrol satin black stirred to within an inch of its life. Its soooo dark and inky black 

"And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee"

41996002755_0252eb7964_b.jpg

i used Humbrols enamel thinner and mixed in a jar ( i usually mix in the cup ) and gave it a squirt over the part

41086012530_b0407927f1_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

Sorry for that guys  it wasn't intentional to leave it on a cliffhanger lol, I typed out a big post with the pics attached and something  went kaboom with my chromebook and the post went to the other dimension where  all the odd socks and loose change end up ( by this I mean I don't fully understand how to work it and pressed a wrong key ) it gave me the right hump, it was late and I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to retype it all out so went off to bed.

I'm used to using my iPad for posting ( I'm on it now ) but lately it's taken to crashing whilst using the Flickr app and it makes it a real chore to post pics and takes me longer to post progress than to actually do the work on the kit, so I went with the chromebook but as I dont use it much I'm not familiar with its foibles hence the underlined text and wierd spacing of words in last nights posts. I've been busy with a few chores this morning but am free now so will just make myself a cuppa and have another go.

its ironic how useless I am with tech nowadays when as a kid I was always the one called upon to set the video for the family to tape the snooker etc lol, and all through the 90s and into the Millenium I was right into my gadgets but as soon as I hit my mid 40s it would seem that the part of the brain that deals with tech related stuff decided to pack it's bags and retire to Florida.

and now I'm at the very edge of 50 I need google to tell me what button to press on the remote control to change channels on the telly 

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Brundledonk said:

its ironic how useless I am with tech nowadays when as a kid I was always the one called upon to set the video for the family to tape the snooker etc lol, and all through the 90s and into the Millenium I was right into my gadgets but as soon as I hit my mid 40s it would seem that the part of the brain that deals with tech related stuff decided to pack it's bags and retire to Florida.

and now I'm at the very edge of 50 I need google to tell me what button to press on the remote control to change channels on the telly 

That’s something that sounds eerily familiar. As a kid I helped my Uncle build a ZX-80 computer, and was one of the kids at school who showed the teachers what to do with them. Now I struggle to use my mobile, and I also have to use google to sort out various tech problems.:blush:

Enjoying the build so far.:clap2:

Mart

• Like 1

I'm back and driving the Chromebook again (with stabilisers and L plates ) I have figured out how to turn on auto correct which should help as I am still not used to typing on a physical keyboard and after years using an iPad it's not instinctive anymore where everything is placed on a regular one. so give me a minute to fire up Flickr and I'll try again

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LotusArenco said:

That’s something that sounds eerily familiar. As a kid I helped my Uncle build a ZX-80 computer, and was one of the kids at school who showed the teachers what to do with them. Now I struggle to use my mobile, and I also have to use google to sort out various tech problems.:blush:

Enjoying the build so far.:clap2:

Mart

Thanks Mart,

yes it's strange where the ability to do that stuff goes, I was quite heavily into video games for years from spectrum and c64 right up to the ps3 and Xbox 360 and every other machine in-between but these days I can no longer seem to remember what the buttons on the gamepad do lol and a few yrears ago I tried to play FIFA with my son on his xbox one and it didn't end well for the team I was controlling lol

Pete

• Haha 1

right then, so I managed to get the part covered with the humbrol but the finish was a bit grainy and not at all satin, in fact it's the flattest black I have seen. I don't know if this is down to the paint or my inexperience with enamel as I've been using acrylics for so many years that thinning them is second nature and with the enamel I dithered somewhat whilst trying to get the right consistency

I used lighter fluid and cotton buds to gently remove the paint from the raised areas and this is what I got

29023855288_c0fcfdd5fa_b.jpg

Not too bad and I was quite pleased with the results for my first go...................... (and here it is) BUT when I did the piece for the opposite side this is what happened

I did exactly the same thing but rubbed back right through the paint underneath and where I'm pointing here to the  primer back to bare plastic.

29023855768_ba878bd874_b.jpg

what I'm pointing out in this pic is not a paint problem but user error. I put the part down the wrong way after spraying and it picked up some white overspray dust.

I am used to spraying with paint thinned with cellulose based thinner which is touch dry almost instantly, enamel on the other hand (Doh !)

29023856308_8f27f26c4f_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

side by side you can see how they look#

42848078482_79bf8cd721_b.jpg

not as crispy clean a finish as I'd seen on others builds but it's my first go so I expected something to go wrong

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

unperturbed I went for another go on the part that goes on  the back of the rear skirt but this time I thought I'd try and get some insurance so gave it a few coats of old Klear as a barrier. I don't use this for glossing anymore but do dip clear parts in it now and again 

28264154447_b742ac3445_b.jpg

once the Klear had dried I gave it a quick coat of the Humbrol satin and went at it gently with the lighter fluid and cotton buds

28264158737_2c125c55f0_b.jpg

reverse washing munches through cotton buds

29023856918_08e6874b49_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

and the result was much better than the other attempts

29261743458_f72b948f8e_b.jpg

and here's the mad bit, even though I managed to get a result that was half decent and you really can't see much of the back of the skirts once they are in place, I didn't like how they looked against the rest of the Gundam. The black doesn't really fit in with the steel/aluminium scheme of the inner frame. so I repainted the skirt liners in the same colours as the frame

41322488440_8633760f26_b.jpg

base coat of alclad steel then hand brushed with Vallejo modelair silver over the raised bits and finally lightly spraying over that with alclad aluminium to hide the brush marks and seal it in, and a bit of dark wash to add some depth to there recesses

29261747028_2e8ecc2d61_b.jpg 

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

a bit of a waste of time but I have learned how to do reverse washing although in all honesty it's not the shortcut to neat sharp lines I thought it would be and I also learned that I'm too invested in acrylics now to start using enamel paint too. I wasn't enamoured with the finish the Humbrol gave me but as I said before I'm inclined to believe this is down to my lack of experience with them than the paint itself.

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

and here they are fitted to the skirt armour and on the Gundam

42229458725_386d5f63d4_b.jpg

one thing I spotted is that the decal on the back skirt reads RX-17B instead of RX-178 lol but not a lot I can do now as the decal has been well sealed under a few flat coats

29261760618_a0987a7209_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

It’s still looking good and to be honest, your repaint did look better to me but I have seen Tolga doing amazing things with reverse washing so it can look incredible; not sure I’m ready to try it just yet. 

Oh yes, I’m also about 6 months off 50 (or as I like to call it - nearly 45) I’m still up with the tech but struggle with the painting so I suppose I can’t have it all ways.

I miss my 48k speccy... but the load time for jet-pack... I don’t miss that, along with the cover art in the cassette which was apparently from a version of the game that I had not bought 😁

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Chief Smeg said:

It’s still looking good and to be honest, your repaint did look better to me but I have seen Tolga doing amazing things with reverse washing so it can look incredible; not sure I’m ready to try it just yet. 

Oh yes, I’m also about 6 months off 50 (or as I like to call it - nearly 45) I’m still up with the tech but struggle with the painting so I suppose I can’t have it all ways.

I miss my 48k speccy... but the load time for jet-pack... I don’t miss that, along with the cover art in the cassette which was apparently from a version of the game that I had not bought 😁

thank you my friend, 

I will try the technique again in the future but will do some testing first as in hindsight I don't think it was the wisest move to go straight at the model with it. I will try using water based acrylic as the base and also see if I can get hold of some Tamiya enamel as this was the paint usedd I not the tutorials I watched and it may be that the formulation of that particular paint makes it easier to remove ? I will also have a look for Tolga's work and see if I can pick up some tips 

hahaha yes the good old days of tape loading (syntax error on line 243 lol) I can remember taking the case of my c64 cassette player so I could access the little screw on the head as tweaking that helped things to load smoothly and before that, spemding a whole evening typing in a game printed in a magazine only to find out there was a misprint somewhere and it wouldn't run

Pete

• Haha 1

with the armour finally out of the way I moved onto the weapons. beam sabres were glued so I could remove the seam. Mr Cement S was used and I made sure I got a good ooze of molten plastic 

28264157087_4c470aac6f_b.jpg

same deal with the magazines fir the beam rifle

29261764158_f1908e01dd_b.jpg

after a jolly good sanding and a lick of primer the beam sabre handles are looking Jamjullah

28264192277_ef7b6b06a5_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

and at first glance the magazines were looking equally as good

28264190197_ab1995e7a8_b.jpg

but alas on closer inspection it seems like there are seams (i thank you )

29261765448_5340780269_b.jpg

out with the filler and some more sanding shenanigans  (shesandigans ?) and I think they will be ok after a coat of primer

29261768088_df54ba71ef_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

these are all the remaining parts for the kit all cleaned up and some primed ready for paint

28264188207_43c70ede6b_b.jpg

Hyper Bazooka was painted white over Mr Surfacer but I left a couple of areas unpainted as I like the shade of grey of the primer and a band was sprayed fluorescent orange 

28264194757_e43f4b4699_b.jpg

after some decals, a wash and flat coat

41322524120_2f1f867341_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

same deal on the other end of the barrel

29261769768_42f09acc37_b.jpg

the joining part and tip were sprayed gloss black and then very lightly with steel to add a bit of metallic sheen and highlight

41322527140_7e07745ac0_b.jpg

the main frame painted the same way but with a light wash in the recesses

42229474565_5a18f8962c_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1