Bandai 1/60 mkii Gundam

16 hours ago, Brundledonk said:

figure painter

A good trick with the tiny 1/100 geezers is to rely on washes to do most of the work for you.

Paint, wash, and then highlight by going back over with the original colour. It’s kind of cheating, but seems to give a half decent result.

If you really want to pull your hair out, have a search for what some people do with 10 or 15mm wargame figures! Some of them are painting individual buttons…..:blink:

Mart

I think the figures look great, and are vital for giving scale for something that a lot of people aren't going to be familiar with.

That the warm yellow-orange on both them and the suit parts is a lovely colour, it looks great against the metals.. 

W

Thanks for the kind word guys. 

I have some experience painting figures but only in 1/32 and upwards, in this scale they are ( for me ) tiny and my eyes and hands aren't what they once were. An optivisor helps with vision but not a lot I can do with my old meat hooks lol.

Mart : I honestly didn't think to use a wash as I had it in my head to paint the lines black with a brush, a wash was definitely the way to go as my lines are a bit on the thick side.

Will: I agree the figures are important to give it a sense of scale, there are a couple more in the box wearing space suits and they are a bit larger than the pilots with better defined details so I will use these too if I can

Pete

• Like 1

I've been beavering away quite a bit down in my man cave so this may end up being a bit of an epic post. Hopefully it's not too boring but as I've taken the pics I'm going to post them.

i take no responsibility for eyes glazing over through boredom lol

I really wasn't sure what to do with the seat as although it has a bit of detail not a lot can be seen once the pilots sitting in it and painting the cushions would be a waste of time so I just gave it a wash to add some depth

20180602_140052

Pilot in the hot seat and pretty it's much all covered up

20180602_140144

Even less is visible once cocooned inside the cockpit ( LED is poking in through the top )

20180602_140444

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

The outer cockpit ball was primed in grey along with the door

20180602_155612

And over sprayed with white leaving some grey for shading 

20180602_161813

The waist frame/gimble thingie was painted in the good old combo of steel, aluminium and gold that I've used on the rest of the frame ( if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess )

20180602_155506

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

The sphere and door painted in redone given a panel line wash. Shading is very subtle but it's all mostly hidden once fiited so no worries 

20180602_165533

20180602_165953

All the bits snapped together and fixed to the chest unit

Door open

20180602_180358

Door closed

20180602_180434

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

And before I went any further I thought it prudent to do a quick Light test as any problems would have half a chance at getting sorted at this stage but Bob and no hope further down the build

20180603_114625

to complete the torso meant having to paint some of the darker coloured amour parts, I had Tamiya blue in mind for this and even bought a couple of jars but it's too bright for this Gundam so I had a footle around the paint stash and found this Mr Color paint.

i test sprayed the inside shoulder covers as these will be mostly covered by white armour so nice and convenient if it went Pear shaped as it would save a repaint

20180603_130809

Here it is next to an unpainted bit and it's a bit dark but I can use that to my advantage as a shade and overspray with a lighter mix.

i under thinned it a bit so got a bit of texture, I micro meshed it before the highlight stage and fixed it as you will see further on

20180603_133042

Added a touch of lighter blue and sprayed a highlight

20180604_120439

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

Not a perfect match to the plastic colour but close enough for these old mince pies

20180604_121134

With that paint test out of the way I was free to spray the armour piece for the waist. This is moulded in a slightly lighter blue plastic than the shoulders so I used the lighter mix as a base and then lightened that for the highlight

20180603_132959

As can be seen in this comparrison picture with the shoulder armour wot I have taken wiv my camera

20180603_133018

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, rockpopandchips said:

The blur looks great and with the shading not a million miles off anyway, the LED`s look very nice as well. Would it make a very nice sideboard lamp.........?🤔

Cheers Brian, I'm pleased how it came out as I was having trouble finding a blue once I realised the Tamiya I had bought was too bright ( should be ok for my GP01 ) it's subtle but looks ok amd as I'm planning to shade the white in a similar way it hopefully will all blend in

Pete

edit to add : yes lol it would make a great lamp but he's big enought to hold a torch so I could make a reading light out of him

Edited by Brundledonk

Added some decals to the shoulders and gave it a flat coat. 

This reduced the effect of the shading quite a bit so when it came to the blue armour on the chest I went a bit heavier with the lighter blue

20180604_130346

Decals and flat coat on the waist armour and all fitted. You can see how far out I would have been if I'd used the Tamiya blue it's sitting on

20180603_141914

Arms and legs not fully attached as I don't want to rub the paint getting him apart but I wanted to see him standing in his feet

20180603_152341

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

Cockpit upper door and chest armour given the same treatment as the shoulders

20180604_131157

20180604_142028

Just a little heavier with the highlight to allow for the effect of the flat coat

20180604_142109

20180604_142138

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

Some decal and flat coat action and we have this

20180604_153553

The back is stayed in steel as I was running dangerously low on Alclad aluminium and wanted to save it for the backpack thrusters. It can't be seen with the back pack fitted

20180604_153824

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

With that bit out of the way it was onto the back pack.

thruster bells gloss black then Stainless Steel

20180606_113955

Linings the same but then clear red

20180606_114949

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

No progress pics of the backpack itself but I just used the same combo of metallics as the inner frame and added pale burnt metal here and there

20180606_125546

20180606_125607

20180606_125612

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 5

All in all I'm pleased with the progress I've made. There is still a couple of parts to add to the back pack and the covers need painting but tomorrow I'm going to try and get the White armour parts painted and then he should really come together.

still a fair few parts in the box to go but after the armour it's just shield amd weapons, hopefully I can get finished over the weekend but we shall see

cheers 

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

Marvelous build so far... that metal finish takes it a few levels up. pretty big one too...

Thank you my friend, much appreciated 

I have used a ton of Alclad so far and I'm getting very low on a couple of bottles but I think I'm finished with the metallics on this build now so should be ok. Will need to order some more for the next Gunadm build though

Pete