Bandai 1/60 mkii Gundam

After looking at the pics of the completed legs I wasn't happy with how the metal finish looked on the thruster as it kind of disappears against the leg. Out of the box the housings were moulded in orange but I didn't want to do them in that colour hence me choosing steel. There are small frames that fit into the armour on the opposite side of the leg and I don't think they would look right in steel either 

these parts

20180523_174254

And they look like this fiitted into the armour

20180523_174347

The housings for the chest and shoulder thrusters will be yellow so i will go with that for the leg ones.

i had to take the thrusters apart and this was easier said than done as its a tight fit and everything is painted but I managed it and only broke a couple of pegs.

then primed white and a base coat of zero Repsol orange ( not a million miles away from the original plastic colour ) the fins that go inside were moulded in orange too but I'm going to keep those in metallic

20180522_215540 (1)

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

Over the orange I sprayed Tamiya gloss yellow really highly thinned and allowed some of the orange to,show through. The. Gave the recessed detail a dark wash followed by a quick dusting of Matt varnish to kill most ( but not all of the shine )

20180523_065913

They now match the shoulder housings I painted a while back

20180523_065933

20180523_071308

All put back together and it adds a splash of colour and I think it looks a lot better

20180523_071444

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 5

It looks canary yellow in the above pic but against the kit moulded parts you can see the difference in tone

20180523_174413

A quick look with the (unpainted ) armour piece. I did this when the housing was still in metallic and wasn't happy with the look, but I like this much better now

20180523_174527

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 5

It was a pain in the bottom to go back and paint it but I'm glad I did and I think part of the problem is the way I'm tackling the kit. I reckon the way to go is to build it all up first, and if you  look at Rockpopandchips current Gundam build this is the way he's going with his. Building first means you can then get a better idea of how it all looks and how the parts look in relation to each other and this I think will help a lot in planning colours. 

But its my first go at one of these kits and I was worried that if I put it all together I may not get it apart again and also I don't think I could keep track of all the parts once I broke it down for painting lol.

ive got the Perfect Grade GP-01 to do after this kit so I will maybe try a dry build on that one before painting and I'll also be closley following Brian's build to pick up more tips for these Gundam kits

head and torso are next on the build along with some LEDs, I've started chopping parts of the frames and cleaning up nubs and once I've got something worth showing I'll be back

cheers me dears

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

The yellow look really great, much better than the metal finish. Looks very Gundam now and to be honest the frame looks stunning!

When I do a test build on these gundam kits before mods and paint I will generally cut down the pegs by a 3rd or cut them off at an angle, I very rarely have to use glue after doing this on Bandai kits and it makes taking them apart so much easier and leaves a little room for paint as well. 

The kit Im building at the moment is not a proper PG so the parts count is a lot less making a test build a lot easier, there are just to many parts in your kit for me I would lose interest. Im already sketching out on paper my next sky ship built taking time away from working on the Astray. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rockpopandchips said:

When I do a test build on these gundam kits before mods and paint I will generally cut down the pegs by a 3rd or cut them off at an angle

Yep, me as well. The other thing I do is to scratch the part number on the insides or a simple ‘L’ or ‘R’ to stop bits getting mixed up whilst on ‘Gundam Kebabs’.

Mart

• Like 4

On 5/21/2018 at 11:04 AM, Brundledonk said:

im sticking closely to the original colours for the armour ( just a few small colour changes on the details ) but will go with you and Thud and have Emma as the pilot. I'm guessing If the mobile suits are the same then it's just the colour of the unifirm that determines the pilot ?

I think there was some decal differences, but I pretty sure they are AM. The big difference is loadout. Emma wasn't as skilled as Kamille, so she liked to carry big guns to make every hit count. This big gun mentally was reinforced when the MkII was retasked as a fire support suit later in the Gryps Conflict. When the variable frame suits came into service. 

Does the kit include the Hyper bazooka? 

On 5/21/2018 at 10:08 PM, rockpopandchips said:

No spoilers please I'm onto ep 30 of Zeta...... 🤫😱 so far its not as good as SDM or 8th MS but it's better than 00 and Wing.....

BRUNDLEDONK, you frame is looking stunning.

Sorry dude.  Nothing will ever beat 08th MS Team (my favourite VA is in it for a start) but Unicorn comes a close 2nd.

On 5/23/2018 at 12:05 AM, Brundledonk said:

i really need to get stuck into the Anime, i watched a few episodes of the UC series and should try and see them all.

had to google the xm-1 and i have to say the skull and crossbones are very novel lol

Pete

edit : I couldn't remember the name of the Gundam anime I've been watching lol but I just checked and its Stardust Memory 

It's a cool looking Gundam, not as cool as the Deep Striker however... but thats more of a mobile armor that mobile suit.  Lets not forget my beloved Hazel's either :)  The main ship even looks likes a pirate ship... it's very novel.

Stardust Memory is a great show, very dated music and hair styles wise (it hasn't aged well).  The fight with the GP-01 at the end, pure class.

I really am loving the work you are putting into this Brundledonk, I could learn alot from this post. 

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

0083 is my favorite series. Zeta is often considered the ESB of Gundam. The ending of Zeta is brutal. Unnecessarily brutal. Thats why Double Zeta starts out really stupid.  Thanks Japanese parent groups! But as a side note they did save us from the rumored heartless cut of Char's Counterattack. 

9vnjt5mefm011.jpg

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2018 at 12:28 PM, rockpopandchips said:

The yellow look really great, much better than the metal finish. Looks very Gundam now and to be honest the frame looks stunning!

When I do a test build on these gundam kits before mods and paint I will generally cut down the pegs by a 3rd or cut them off at an angle, I very rarely have to use glue after doing this on Bandai kits and it makes taking them apart so much easier and leaves a little room for paint as well. 

The kit Im building at the moment is not a proper PG so the parts count is a lot less making a test build a lot easier, there are just to many parts in your kit for me I would lose interest. Im already sketching out on paper my next sky ship built taking time away from working on the Astray. 

Thanks Brian,

yellow was definitely the way to go and it was worth the effort to re-paint it. cutting the pegs is a great idea and i will be doing that for the rest of the build for sure as getting things apart wasnt easy and i was lucky not to do more damage than i did.

yes there are a lot of parts and to be honest i am beginning to get a bit fatigued with it now, cleaning the nubs is a pain on the frame as being painted metal means  having to sand and polish so i'm spending a lot more time cleaning than painting

Pete

• Like 1

On 25 May 2018 at 1:34 PM, LotusArenco said:

Yep, me as well. The other thing I do is to scratch the part number on the insides or a simple ‘L’ or ‘R’ to stop bits getting mixed up whilst on ‘Gundam Kebabs’.

Mart

Another great tip, cheers Mart

Pete

• Like 1

On 26 May 2018 at 4:03 PM, Thud4444 said:

I think there was some decal differences, but I pretty sure they are AM. The big difference is loadout. Emma wasn't as skilled as Kamille, so she liked to carry big guns to make every hit count. This big gun mentally was reinforced when the MkII was retasked as a fire support suit later in the Gryps Conflict. When the variable frame suits came into service. 

Does the kit include the Hyper bazooka? 

Yes there is a Bazooka in the kit and also a beam rifle. 

Pete

On 28 May 2018 at 8:08 PM, Dazzio said:

Sorry dude.  Nothing will ever beat 08th MS Team (my favourite VA is in it for a start) but Unicorn comes a close 2nd.

It's a cool looking Gundam, not as cool as the Deep Striker however... but thats more of a mobile armor that mobile suit.  Lets not forget my beloved Hazel's either :)  The main ship even looks likes a pirate ship... it's very novel.

Stardust Memory is a great show, very dated music and hair styles wise (it hasn't aged well).  The fight with the GP-01 at the end, pure class.

I really am loving the work you are putting into this Brundledonk, I could learn alot from this post. 

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Cheers Dazz, I just hope I can keep my enthusiasm up and keep going.

Pete

The fins for the chest thrusters are moulded in yellow but like the ones in the calves I'm going to paint them aluminium and have the surrounds in yellow. These need to go in a particular order so I assembled them like this to paint 

20180529_144104

• Like 1

I'm having some issues at the moment. When I go to Flickr to copy the pic I'm getting signed out of the forum when I come back to paste it, and then when I sign back in I can't  select the dialogue box ( I need to sign out and then in again to get it to work )

im using my iPad just now and it will take an age to post if it keeps doing it so I  will try with the chromebook later ( my daughters using it at the moment ) 

Pete

28 minutes ago, Brundledonk said:

I'm having some issues at the moment. When I go to Flickr to copy the pic I'm getting signed out of the forum when I come back to paste it, and then when I sign back in I can't  select the dialogue box ( I need to sign out and then in again to get it to work )

im using my iPad just now and it will take an age to post if it keeps doing it so I  will try with the chromebook later ( my daughters using it at the moment ) 

Pete

I had a similar thing a few weeks back on my Android phone, I had to unistall to make it work. 

6 minutes ago, rockpopandchips said:

I had a similar thing a few weeks back on my Android phone, I had to unistall to make it work. 

I will give that a try and hopefully it will sort it out

Pete

Fins sprayed and held behind the surrounds to try and get an idea of how it will look

20180529_172416

The fins fit to the front of a box and at the back is this part. I sprayed it steel and then the raised bits with polished aluminium

20180529_165037

I forgot to take pics of the next bit but all I did was spray clear red over the raised circles. You can just make it out through the fins

20180529_171830

20180529_172321

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

details in ( Yep......... Aluminium )

20180531_134018

i didn't paint the red part as only the bottom will ever be seen and its tiny so didn't see it worth the effort. but I did give it a flat coat and then used an 8b pencil over the edges and sealed with another coat of flat clear

20180531_134052

Pilot figures, 1 seated and 1 climbing into the cockpit.

Not a lot to work with but I'm not much of a figure painter so I don't suppose it matters lol

20180529_144151

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

They look yellow in the pics but I assure you they are not. In reality they are a pale orange ( mixed white with a drop of Repsol orange )  , I tried but just can't capture the colour with my camera.

macro is brutal but to the eye they are passable 

20180531_162112

20180531_162133

20180531_162414

And in his chair ( just in primer at the moment )

20180531_163122

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2