Heinkel He 111 guns

Starfighter

Hi everybody,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding fitting the fuselage guns to my ICM 1/48 Heinkel 111 . . . I wondered if any of you helpful chaps would have any tips about fitting these, as I can see a problem with them getting damaged / broken during assembly of the main components, so if you do have any tips on how you'd avoid this I'd be most grateful.  :cheers:

I can't really offer anything of any use - just replying as I feel your pain!!

Doesn't look like you could even fit them at the end of the build using tweezers through the top mount opening :(

What I do is fit them and then wrap some masking tape around the barrel so it will always catch your eye as you continue working. Alternatively cut the guns in half and install the barrels from the outside at the very end. Have used both methods in 1/72 He111's, among others. Hope this is of some help.

Thanks guys. As you say, Lawzer, I don't think I'll be able to fit them after building, so I think I'll have to cut the barrels off and re-fit them later. Thanks for your help anyway, chaps, it's much appreciated.  :cheers:

Cutting off the barrels and drilling holes for the barrels would be my suggestion. Fit the interior bits into the holes for the guns, mask and paint the airframe and add the barrels later at your pleasure. Low risk of breaking and at that scale a nice set of MG 15’s from Master barrels would look the bees knees.

Regards,

• Like 1

I have just finished this model and did as has been suggested above, ie I cut the barrels between the two ball structures halfway down the barrel. Then glued the gun from the inside and simply added the barrels when finished, it worked a treat!. Hope this helps.

12 hours ago, chillaton said:

I have just finished this model and did as has been suggested above, ie I cut the barrels between the two ball structures halfway down the barrel. Then glued the gun from the inside and simply added the barrels when finished, it worked a treat!. Hope this helps.

That's what I plan to do, so thanks for your suggestions. :cheers:

Been there, done that......I did it the same way, cuting the gun breeches away and fitting them in place, but making a tiny hole were I inserted a piece of fine steel wire (electric guitar string), then another hole in the barrel, wich were inserted from the outside at the end of the build, using the steel wires as a guide to make sure they kept straight, and  reinforce the fitting point.

Cheers...

• Like 1