This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

bentwaters81tfw

Stephen Hawking dies

Another great mind leaves and the intelligence level of the planet drops a little more. Still I guess he lived a lot longer than the doctors ever gave him hope of.

RIP Steven and Godspeed,

as Beardie says another great mind leaves this mortal coil. Doctors gave him two years to live, he managed an extra 53 years.

All the best Chris

It's amazing that he managed to live over 50 years more than the doctors said he would, but I was still shocked and upset when I heard the news this morning.

Not only a great mind, one of the best that Britain has ever produced, but also a great character – not above taking the pee out of himself.

Very sad day.

Sad news indeed, but to get to age 76 with his conditions was a miracle anyway, so I'm more thankful that he was allowed that time to further science :)

A great mind indeed.

We so seldom see his like.

Yes, that your hats off, please Gents !

Very, very sad news.

RIP.

Indeed, very sad news. A remarkable man, who lead a hugely influential life. A major loss to the world. 

Posted (edited)

😪RIP Stephen Hawking ... will miss your voice in science. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Rest in Peace Prof Hawking.His life is nothing short of extraordinary. To have lived that long with ALS when the average is between two and five years is remarkable. As someone with both MS and MND (yes,you couldn't make it up!) the rest and peace are two things in short supply. A great man is gone.

A very sad loss to humanity.

Will humans heed his words into the future? 

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t think this is sad. Bloody fantastic that such a brain lived decades beyond expectations, and thought and did so much exceptional stuff. Amazing that he wasn’t “just” an incomparable acedemic physicist, but a mischievous funny guy who pretty much everybody has nice things to say about. And I lucky that he found love, and was father to his adoring kids... Hawking was the epitome of a life well lived, accepting and overcoming his health issues. Not sad, but a cause for celebration! IMHO, anyway...

best,

M.

His life is well worth celebrating, it was much longer than expected and he did much excellent work but it is still a sad loss that he is now gone and I think his passing should be mourned as his life should be celebrated.

A truly great intellect lost to the world. I often wonder whether I could have borne such an affliction with the same fortitude as he did, let alone make a contribution to the planet anywhere near as great as the one he made. 

“A mischievous funny guy” - when asked for people’s recollections, someone told the BBC that ‘he ran over my foot in his wheelchair while I was sitting on the wall on Kings Parade’ - something he used to try and do to tourists a lot. I worked on Kings Parade and watched his nurse/assistant/wife constantly grabbing the controls to stop him.

One of humanity's brightest in every sense.

I'd sometimes see him out and about in Cambridge. I remember standing behind him in the queue for the ATM at Barclays on the market square. I don't think I've ever been so in awe in someone's presence, and I've met most of my favourite musicians.

Posted (edited)

Currently he is the voice of the Guide Mk2 in the New Hitchikers Guide and has a couple of lines that show he could take a joke. 

Edited by Mr T
Tidying up