Wellington Mk.III 142 Squadron 1943

Hi,

Here is my interpretation of Wellington Mk.III HF670 'U' from 142 Squadron flying from Blida airfield during early 1943.

The Trumpeter kit is an absolute joy to work with and the only criticism I can think of is that the wheels look too skinny. The decals are from the generic Xtradecal dull red and my reference was 'Wellington Squadrons in Focus' by Freer and Parry.

I hope you like it, 

Russ

IMG_0509

IMG_0508

IMG_0507

IMG_0510

IMG_0511

IMG_0512

• Like 57
  • Thanks 1

Superb job and it looks suitably dusty too,...... it looks every inch a hard working Wimpey. 

All I would say is,... are those fin flashes correct?

For the wheels a bit of plastic card in between the two halves would help beef them out if you make another,

Lovely modelling,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Thats very nice. I enjoyed building my trumpeter Wellington, but was only thinking how skinny the wheels the other day were when parked next to my Dak & Lancaster.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean about the tyres . . . . I infilled my Airfix ones with either 10 or 20thou to bulk them out and they look a lot better.

Great looking kite and I am pleased its a 142 example because they were stationed at RAF Grimsby before they transferred.

Was it a straight forward build ?

I also have one waiting to be built and if looks as good as yours then I will be really pleased.

• Like 1

That's a really nice looking Wimpey.  A very smooth finish and interesting scheme that makes a nice change from the usual Bomber command colours.  I think your scale black looks spot on also.  The kit looks great from your photos.  Good to know that Trumpeter got it largely right although I agree with you that the wheels look a bit puny. 

I think it is often forgotten what an important aircraft the Wellington was with all the different roles it undertook.  I understand it was the most produced allied bomber of WW2 although I'm happy to be corrected.   Either way there can't have been many types that were in production before, during and after the War.

Anyway, great work and it's whetted my anticipation of the new Airfix kit. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all your positive comments!

Regarding the black, what I tend to do is to first spray the areas with a mid to dark grey (depending what I have in the box) and then over-spray with matt black leaving it slightly transparent in areas. Also, with this aircraft operating out of Blida I lightly sprayed the undersides with sand to give a very slight weathered look.

Russ

• Like 1

The Wellington was the most produced BRITISH bomber of World War 2. The most produced bomber was the B-24 Linberator and its derivatives.

Wellington -  11,000 plus

B-24 - 19,500 plus

Although not a heavy "bomber" the Il-2 Sturmovik ground attack aircraft beats them, all - 36,000 plus.

• Like 1

Very neat indeed. Lovely paint job.

I was put off getting that kit because of the overdone fabric effect on the wings. It looks like Airfix have made a much better job on their new kit.

• Like 1